ADVERTISEMENT

Not trying to stir the pot, but what happened to Judge Smails?

If I ever get banned (again), I am coming back as michaeljackschmidt! Even as a Pirates fan, I admired that guy's work on the diamond.
I think you should come back as SmokyBurgess. He was a catcher and looked like a catcher back when catchers looked like catchers.:) He was also a very good player. Career BA of .295 and several fielding awards.

Great name too, especially for a catcher.

I think you should come back as SmokyBurgess. He was a catcher and looked like a catcher back when catchers looked like catchers.:) He was also a very good player. Career BA of .295 and several fielding awards.

My brother, who is 15 years my senior, told me that ole Smokey was one of the VERY few Pirates players who treated the kids like crap. He walked right past my brother dozens of times when my brother was in prime position for an autograph as a true young fan. Yet, my bro still acknowledges that ole Smokey was a helluva player. I probably look like a catcher back when catchers looked like catchers only, perhaps, a little fatter.

Reactions: artsandletters

those old Pirates had some great names and nicknames

Vinegar Bend Mizell, Dick "Dr. Strangeglove" Stuart, Roberto "Arriba" Clemente

**by the way, Free Judge Smails!

"Ducky" Schofield
Harvey Haddix was the "Kitten"
Dick Hoak was the "Tiger"
Vern Law was the "Deacon"
Smoky Burgess was "Shake, rattle, and roll"

Last edited:
My brother, who is 15 years my senior, told me that ole Smokey was one of the VERY few Pirates players who treated the kids like crap. He walked right past my brother dozens of times when my brother was in prime position for an autograph as a true young fan. Yet, my bro still acknowledges that ole Smokey was a helluva player. I probably look like a catcher back when catchers looked like catchers only, perhaps, a little fatter.
IIRC, Smoky used to keep a huge wad of tobacco in his cheek so maybe he feared spitting juice all over the yungins. North Carolina native by the way, born and died.

George Costanza played catcher for Jerry’s softball team. Point proven:).

Last edited:

Smoky caught Harvey Haddix’s 12 innings of perfect. (greatest game ever pitched).

Names? Whammy Douglas was one of three players the Pirates traded for Smoky, Haddix and Hoak. Damn good trade.

Frank Thomas was the biggie.
Dick 'Two Dozen" Frost
Bill 'No Touch" Mazeroski
Bob "Arriba" Clemente
Bill "Quail" Gordon
Bob "Dog" Skinner
Dick "Dr Strangeglove" Stuart

I do not remember Smokey as ever winning a fielding award. My memory of 1960 is that he was 3rd behind Bob Oldis and Hal Smith as a defensive catcher. Smokey was pure hitter and ended his career as a pinch hitter. I believe he held the record for most life time pinch hits when he retired.

I do not remember Smokey as ever winning a fielding award. My memory of 1960 is that he was 3rd behind Bob Oldis and Hal Smith as a defensive catcher. Smokey was pure hitter and ended his career as a pinch hitter. I believe he held the record for most life time pinch hits when he retired.
But what about the Judge? Get with the program...

Reactions: TheGLOV
What did he do to get banned?
He went ahead and bought the hat?
ComplicatedSaneEwe-max-1mb.gif

Smoky, not Smokey, led the league in fielding percentage three times, 1953, 1960 and 1961. He was also a six time all star.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Judge is laying low, since a grand jury formed and is looking into him and a Lacey Underall affair . Beam me up Scotty, and now.
23018798_1.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT