ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure what it would cost...... but K Kingsbury....

stormingnorm

Aug 2, 2017
Could be a huge pick up for PSU - - - - if they were willing to be aggressive and think outside the box.

Kingsbury - IMO - has struggled as a HC (and I wouldn’t be surprised if he DOESN’T get any major HC offers in the near term)....
But he is “elite” :) as a QB coach and offensive mind.
Nearly every QB this guy touches performs better than anyone could have hoped...... and melding aspects of the Leach/Kingsbury “Air Raid” w the Moorhead RPO game could not only be relatively smooth (they share similarities - - - and KK has always been able to “teach” very well) but it could truly knock some B10 defenses on their rears (IMO) given the wealth of talent on the PSU roster.

How possible would it be?
1) KK has made a nice chunk of $$$$ over the last several years (including a fat buyout from TT) ..... so he doesn’t have to chase the cash anytime soon.
2) As mentioned..... I just don’t think he’s a great HC - and I expect a lot of ADs around the country feel the same...... so he may very well have to “retrench” as an OC/QB coach for a while
3) If he’s gonna be a OC/QB guy, he’d want to do that under a guy who gives his coordinators a lot of freeedom and autonomy (a guy like CJF)..... and with a lot of talent to make him look good :)

I certainly think that with all of the programs out there that would LOVE to get their hands on a guy w KK’s track record, the odds of him landing at PSU (where, TTBOMK, he doesn’t have any ties) are probably pretty long.
But it sure would be an interesting idea to see come to fruition.

It might be not cost much at all, depending on offset language in contract.....

Laughable. The dude got the job because he is a smooth talking pretty boy. He ran off Baker Mayfield and didn’t even offer him a scholarship. He didn’t do squat with the new chosen one Pat Mahomes. He had two of the best young QB’s on the planet and didn’t win. Virtually no one has done less with more QB talent.

The dude will be one of those dopes arguing on ESPN for the foreseeable future.

LOL. Kingsbury has appeared to have some issues vav the Head Coach role..... but he has “created” more top-end QBs (often out of duct tape and spit) than any coach out there.

If there was any shortage of stoopid, you’ve met the need.

Keenum... Mahomes.... Webb.... Manziel....
Etc Etc Etc
You are the worst poster here. He didn’t do crap for Mahomes. He though Baker Mayfield didn’t deserve a scholarship.

You are the worst poster here. He didn’t do crap for Mahomes. He though Baker Mayfield didn’t deserve a scholarship.

No one thought Mayfield deserved a scholarship coming out of HS and he was right in going with Mahomes over Mayfield. Mahomes is the better QB.

As annoying as the OP is Kingsbury would be a huge upgrade on many staffs, including our's.

Could be a huge pick up for PSU - - - - if they were willing to be aggressive and think outside the box.

Kingsbury - IMO - has struggled as a HC (and I wouldn’t be surprised if he DOESN’T get any major HC offers in the near term)....
Nearly every QB this guy touches performs better than anyone could have hoped...... and melding aspects of the Leach/Kingsbury “Air Raid” w the Moorhead RPO game could not only be relatively smooth (they share similarities - - - and KK has always been able to “teach” very well) but it could truly knock some B10 defenses on their rears (IMO) given the wealth of talent on the PSU roster.

1) KK has made a nice chunk of $$$$ over the last several years (including a fat buyout from TT) ..... so he doesn’t have to chase the cash anytime soon.
2) As mentioned..... I just don’t think he’s a great HC - and I expect a lot of ADs around the country feel the same...... so he may very well have to “retrench” as an OC/QB coach for a while
3) If he’s gonna be a OC/QB guy, he’d want to do that under a guy who gives his coordinators a lot of freeedom and autonomy (a guy like CJF)..... and with a lot of talent to make him look good :)

I certainly think that with all of the programs out there that would LOVE to get their hands on a guy w KK’s track record, the odds of him landing at PSU (where, TTBOMK, he doesn’t have any ties) are probably pretty long.

Had the same thought. But "Air Raid" offense doesn't work well in inclement weather conditions often found in the Big Ten (see Friday night's UDub-Wazzu game).

Dump Galiano and give Bowen special teams. Hire Kingsbury to be QB coach. That’s what I’d try...

Reactions: BBrown
OK, Barry

I am Kliff Kingsury - you think I have a skill set - well so do others. Tell me why you think I should come to Penn State?

1. Forget money.

2. I don't have any ties to any of the traditional recruiting bases that Penn State has - I only got one kid from the traditional recruiting bases to come to TT - that kid was from Va, and I out recruiting Illinois for him. I have ties to Texas recruiting, but those are kids that don't get serious consideration from aTm, UT, OU or OK State. I am battling Baylor, TCU and SMU.

3. In the last five years (2014- 2018), my offenses have ranked 48, 3, 8, 31 and 28. Penn State's offense has ranked 111, 98, 18, 6, 27. So, Penn State offense has scored more points, on average, in the last two years, then the vaunted "Air Raid" offense I ran in TT.

4. With the exception of a few years of professional football, I have never been outside of Texas in my personal or professional life.

5. My Air Raid offense only works well if the opposing defenses are weak - as they are in the Big 12. Penn State's offense in the last five years has inproved dramatically - and against Big Ten defenses. And, need I explain the issues Penn State had with offensive line in 2014/2015?

I think it’s highly unlikely (IMO, anyway) that he would end up at PSU ....... as I stated, clearly, about a half dozen times. :)

Did you not get that?

My posts were - clearly - simple discussions wrt the long-shot “what if?”.

(Although at least three of your “points” are utterly extreme “strawman” stuff ....... perfect fodder, of course, for barstool “debates” among intellectuals :). But, other than that? Meh)

I offered you an opportunity to solidify your position, and yet you chose to avoid it all together. You really are not good at having discussions and debates, are you Barry? Did you ever consider that you may be one of your problems Barry and why you are here and not on the PSU Board?

Oh, and a suggestion - stop using "quotes" - it diminishes the validity of your statements - whether they are hypothetical or not.

You "offered me the opportunity to solidify a position" that I neither hold nor agree with?
How benevolent (and brilliant) of you.
Bless your heart :)

If you ignore (or are unable to comprehend) the obvious - repeatedly - its MY job to try to educate you?

Maybe? IDK? But, if it is, I choose to abdicate the responsibility of curing stoopid.
I'm pretty stubborn in that regard.... but - eventually - even I have to admit Ron White had it nailed.

Sorry.
(Nice "titty pics" though :).
Did using "" diminish from the validity of the (.)(.)s?
Maybe they are "fake" :) anyway?)

Just unable to hold a "conversation" eh Barry?

It's gotta be tough for all your personalities to get along that way.

Who knows? But if a guy like KK stepped into a job at PSU, I would be smiling more for what he could likely do with the QBs than anything else.

Personally - if that specific situation (KK to PSU in 2019) were to take place - I think melding some of those elements together could be very interesting....... but I wouldn’t, personally, want or expect it to turn into “Air Raid Part Deux”.....
Just as a couple “for instances”:

A) I would think it would be better to keep the TE role in the system more of less as it has been the last couple years (ala the Moorhead offense)

B) I would like to see more “audible control” go to the QB at the LOS (ala the “Air Raid”) vs almost entirely through the “check with me” to the sidelines.

C) I would like to see the QB Keep remain part of a read-option package in the run game (ala the “RPO” offense).... ie: Continue to be able to play 11 on 11 (which seems to be a near requirement in CJF’s mind anyway)

D) Keeping a traditional TE role - providing more diversity to how you wanna’ pass protect (not relying solely on the run-and-shoot / spread type stuff) - in the O allows you easier access to keeping traditional “man-beaters” in the pass game (rub routes, darts, cross, outside switch, etc etc etc) ...... and allows them to continue to run the current blocking schemes in the run game - essentially the RO stuff that has been the foundation of the Moorhead run game.

E) Simple schemes / out of multiple looks and motions / QB control to adjust / quick to teach and install / ability to go regular tempo, up tempo, or true “NASCAR” tempo ...... all ala the “Kingsbury” offense.

Could be an interesting alloy. And one that - I think - PSU already has the personnel to outfit (and really ain’t that fundamentally different from “Moorhead”)

The more I consider it (getting a guy like KK to PSU) I think it could not only be very effective, but also a fairly seamless transition from the current base concepts of the Moorhead offense (the foundation of which ain’t gonna’ last much longer if Ricky remains in charge).
Bringing in a legit QB developer / OC guy..... in place of Ricky ...... could be the ticket to take a very, very talented roster to “elite level” performance :). IMO..... obviously :)

But, alas, that is probably 99% pipe-dream.
I expect it will be another year of “squint your eyes and pray for the QB” Ricky R offense in 2019.
Sucks...... ‘cause I think CJF has it within his power to “get to elite” PDQ ...... if he corrects his Rahne.

I get the infatuation with him as a QB coach, but not as OC at least not yet.
I wonder how many teams have and OC coach that is not also the QB coach and who do you let go of on
the staff to bring in a strictly QB coach? Maybe Galiano and have Kingsbury coach both QB's and ST's?

Mahomes went from a 3 star recruit to the tenth draft pick. He did something for him.
Not really. According to an article in the current issue of ESPN magazine, Mahomes never really camped which is why he was only rated 3 stars. Also, the Texas Tech staff knew better than to mess with his natural delivery.

Not really. According to an article in the current issue of ESPN magazine, Mahomes never really camped which is why he was only rated 3 stars. Also, the Texas Tech staff knew better than to mess with his natural delivery.
If he was #10 NFL draft quality coming out of high school he would have been higher than a 3 star regardless of camping or not. It's silly not to give the TT staff some credit for his development.

How about the OC at OKstate who used to coach at Shippensburg? I think he was making about one quarter of what Moorhead was making.

How about the OC at OKstate who used to coach at Shippensburg? I think he was making about one quarter of what Moorhead was making.
without looking, I am pretty sure he went from $40k at Ship to $400k at OSU, and I think he was given a raise to $600k.
well I should have looked, I missed the last $200k bump to $800K, do you think his lifestyle has changed since Ship???

Leading the way is offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich, who enters his sixth season at the helm of a Cowboy offense that ranked first nationally in passing offense, second in total offense and fourth in scoring offense last year. For his trouble, Yurcich gets a $200,000 bump which will see him earn $800,000 in 2018.

According to USA Today‘s numbers, Yurcich was the 72nd-highest paid assistant coach in college football in 2017. This bump would move him up to a tie for a spot in the top 30 with the likes of Clemson co-offensive coordinators Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott, Texas OC Tim Beck and Auburn OC Chip Lindsey (based on their 2017 salaries — many of those may also receive bumps before the season).

Yea Mike Yurcich's name has been mentioned before. I remember people talking about him before JoMo was hired.
He would be my first choice.

Yea Mike Yurcich's name has been mentioned before. I remember people talking about him before JoMo was hired.
He would be my first choice.
if you are trying to make a change, why not Brandon Streeter? He's been a coordinator before, he may not break the bank, Pa guy, coming from a good program, Clemson. He was a QB, and coaches QB's. He could have played for his Dad, but choose to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
if you are trying to make a change, why not Brandon Streeter? He's been a co coordinator before, he may not break the bank, Pa guy, coming from a good program, Clemson. He was a QB, and coaches QB's. He could have played for his Dad, but choose to go elsewhere.

I don't know anything about him but I remember his name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT