ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina accredation being put on probation

I kind of saw this coming, SACSC had to do this or else lose all credibility. In case anyone's asking, this will be rescinded by the beginning of the 2016-7 academic year, for sure.

I kind of saw this coming, SACSC had to do this or else lose all credibility. In case anyone's asking, this will be rescinded by the beginning of the 2016-7 academic year, for sure.

Yes, but this is a significant step for this governing body.
From this link http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article23751628.html

A week after the NCAA leveled five major allegations against UNC-Chapel Hill, an accrediting body has handed down 12 months of probation against the university for failing to meet seven accreditation standards, including academic integrity and control of athletics.

“It’s the most serious sanction we have,” said Belle Wheelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.....

Failure to meet the institutional integrity standard is the most serious violation. Wheelan said it stemmed from UNC not providing full information on the bogus classes the first time the commission visited.

“It’s that they’re forthcoming and are honest and forthright in all of their dealings with us,” Wheelan said. “And the first time we went in, there was information to which we had no access. So it’s like, why not?”

Yes, absolutely. Which makes it a little bit sad, if you stop to think about it. It's pretty hard to lose accreditation, really.

Yes. I have followed both the PSU/Sandusky and the UNC/bogus courses scandals closely. There are many differences between the two.

However, there is one very substantial element in common --- terrible leadership at each University. At PSU, it's been the corrupt/negligent Board of Trustees and then weak presidential leadership. At UNC, the administrators and their Board of Governors have lacked the courage to address some serious issues, and tried to stonewall.

Each institution would have been served SO MUCH BETTER by getting the truth out, being as transparent as possible, and dealing in a fair but prompt manner with any underlying problems.

Weren't we threatened with the same by the Middle States accreditation equivalent? I wouldn't expect anything to come of this.

Weren't we threatened with the same by the Middle States accreditation equivalent? I wouldn't expect anything to come of this.
Penn State was issued a warning, which is the step before probation. I don't believe it ever got past that point. UNC is definitely in it deeper.

Let's face it, they weren't going to lose their accreditation and tarnish all these innocent kid's degrees. This is basically the worst punishment they could hand out which equates to a public scolding. The NCAA has the power to give some real punishment here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT