ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf and Nickal are #7 and #8, respectively, on...

goStanford18

Dec 4, 2016
Stanford
The Top 200 All-Time Individual Point Scorers at the D1 NCAA tournament. The Open Mat hasn't updated the list yet, but I just punched in the numbers myself. Nolf has scored 98 total points (half a point less than 4-timer Pat Smith, and one less than David Taylor), while Nickal put up 95 (edging out Darryl Burley by half a point and Ed Ruth by one point).

The list is led by no other than Penn State Head Coach, Cael Sanderson--who totaled 107.5 points throughout his career at the Big Dance.

Here are the top 20:

1. Cael Sanderson, 107.5
  2. Logan Stieber, 103.5
  3. Ed Banach, 102.5
  4. Mark Churella, 99.5
  5. David Taylor, 99
  6. Pat Smith, 98.5
  7. Jason Nolf, 98
  8. Bo Nickal, 95.5
  9. Darryl Burley, 95
  10. Ed Ruth, 94.5
  11. Zain Retherford, 93.5
  12. Kyle Dake, 93
  13. Alex Dieringer, 93
  14. Gene Mills, 93
  15. Stephen Neal, 92
  16. Lincoln McIlravy, 90
  17. Jake Herbert, 90
  18. Jim Zalesky, 89.5
  19. Kyle Snyder, 89
  20. Ben Askren, 89

Current Nittany Lion wrestlers Vincenzo Joseph and Mark Hall are sitting at 62 and 60 points, respectively. Joseph's 62 already puts him just inside the top 200, while Hall's 60 places him just outside of the top 200. 80 total points would put either wrestler around the top 40, which is very doable as they both still have one season left to compete. It is impressive that these group of wrestlers all practice in the same room. It is also very telling of the type of program Cael Sanderson and co. have built this decade. Simply put, this a fun dynasty to follow.

Active, non-PSU wrestlers who are on or will likely be on this list soon:

1. Zahid Valencia, 67.5 points; on pace to break into the top 15
  2. Spencer Lee, 51.5 points; on pace to break into the top 5
  3. Yianni Diakomiahlis, 42 points; on pace to break into the top 30

If you go back and look at 2013, when DT was second to Dake, you'll find that, despite being second, he outscored Dake in that tournament. DT had 4 falls, and Dake had 2 MDs before the final. :) THAT, is how you get on this list.

If you go back and look at 2013, when DT was second to Dake, you'll find that, despite being second, he outscored Dake in that tournament. DT had 4 falls, and Dake had 2 MDs before the final. :) THAT, is how you get on this list.

Always #1 among tangible reasons why I'd rather have DT on my team instead of Dake if I had to choose between the two.

Honestly, super impressive Zain was Top 10 and still 11th when he didn't redshirt his freshman year and finished 5th (and before he was Mean Bonus Point Machine Zain)

What's really interesting is that there is only one Iowa HS wrestler on that list and he was drummed out of the University of Iowa wrestling program.

Super impressive by Banach, Churella and Burley, as I don't think they had the advantage of the bonus points for tech falls. Have those numbers ever been adjusted for that?

Reactions: Jkos11
Super impressive by Banach, Churella and Burley, as I don't think they had the advantage of the bonus points for tech falls. Have those numbers ever been adjusted for that?

The original author of this piece attempted to standardize bonus points and any other scoring changes to current rules, but I don’t believe it was a perfect system—still pretty dang good though.

Honestly, super impressive Zain was Top 10 and still 11th when he didn't redshirt his freshman year and finished 5th (and before he was Mean Bonus Point Machine Zain)
Zain would have mowed down the 149 field this year but I do like Ash and M Jordan. Pretty impressive run by Spencer starting as a true freshman to put up 51.5 pts in 2 years, but we all kind of saw that coming after watching him in the PIAA's.

The original author of this piece attempted to standardize bonus points and any other scoring changes to current rules, but I don’t believe it was a perfect system—still pretty dang good though.

Ok. Thanks. I saw a 24-4 win by Banach in the 1981 quarters and was wondering.

Zain would have mowed down the 149 field this year but I do like Ash and M Jordan. Pretty impressive run by Spencer starting as a true freshman to put up 51.5 pts in 2 years, but we all kind of saw that coming after watching him in the PIAA's.

He also seemingly hit the wall the end of his senior year when he didn't bonus Heilmann and Perry. I don't think it was an undisclosed injury (though who knows) cause he had just went TF, FALL, TF his first 3 matches. It felt similar with Nolf and Bo this year near the end. Almost like they just wanted to make sure they won their 3rd instead of getting fancy and going out with a bang.

His previous 2 runs he had gone:

2016 - TF, FALL, FALL, FALL, MD
2017 - TF, TF, TF, FALL, TF

More insane, he has more points than Kyle Dake who was a 4 timer.

The 149 finalists his shirt year were Houdashelt and Habat. Gotta think Zain would've improved upon his true freshman 5th place against that field.

It appears there are three minimum requirements for a wrestler who hopes to break into the top 20:

1. At least two NCAA Titles
  2. At least three NCAA Final appearances
  3. Be a four-time All-American
Most wrestlers (70%) in the top 20 have 3 or more NCAA titles. There are 6 who only have 2:

1. David Taylor
  2. Darryl Burley
  3. Gene Mills
  4. Stephen Neal
  5. Jake Herbert
  6. Ben Askren
It will be a tall order for either Joseph or Hall to break into the top 20 as they would virtually need to pin their way to a title next March. Making the top 50 of this list, however, is already rarified air. This list is basically a who’s who of college wrestling...but I think it’s pretty neat to be at the top of such a list.

Spencer Lee has little to no room for error if he hopes to overtake Cael as #1 on this list. He would need to average 28 points (e.g., 1st place with 4 falls and 1 decision) in his next two NCAA appearances just to tie Cael. If Lee scores less than 26 (e.g. 1st place with 2 falls and 3 decisions), in his next appearance, any possibility for surpassing Cael’s point production in March is lost. The only freshman Champ this year was Lewis, and he would need to average more than 28.5 points over his next three appearances to surpass Cael—extremely unlikely. A guy like Daton Fix would literally have to pin his way through his next three appearances just to edge out Cael—essentially no chance.

Anyhow, bringing the topic back to Penn State wrestling, is anyone bold enough to predict who will be the next Nittany Lion to break into the top 20 of this list?

The Top 200 All-Time Individual Point Scorers at the D1 NCAA tournament. The Open Mat hasn't updated the list yet, but I just punched in the numbers myself. Nolf has scored 98 total points (half a point less than 4-timer Pat Smith, and one less than David Taylor), while Nickal put up 95 (edging out Darryl Burley by half a point and Ed Ruth by one point).

The list is led by no other than Penn State Head Coach, Cael Sanderson--who totaled 107.5 points throughout his career at the Big Dance.

Here are the top 20:

1. Cael Sanderson, 107.5
  2. Logan Stieber, 103.5
  3. Ed Banach, 102.5
  4. Mark Churella, 99.5
  5. David Taylor, 99
  6. Pat Smith, 98.5
  7. Jason Nolf, 98
  8. Bo Nickal, 95.5
  9. Darryl Burley, 95
  10. Ed Ruth, 94.5
  12. Kyle Dake, 93
  13. Alex Dieringer, 93
  14. Gene Mills, 93
  15. Stephen Neal, 92
  16. Lincoln McIlravy, 90
  17. Jake Herbert, 90
  18. Jim Zalesky, 89.5
  19. Kyle Snyder, 89
  20. Ben Askren, 89

Current Nittany Lion wrestlers Vincenzo Joseph and Mark Hall are sitting at 62 and 60 points, respectively. Joseph's 62 already puts him just inside the top 200, while Hall's 60 places him just outside of the top 200. 80 total points would put either wrestler around the top 40, which is very doable as they both still have one season left to compete. It is impressive that these group of wrestlers all practice in the same room. It is also very telling of the type of program Cael Sanderson and co. have built this decade. Simply put, this a fun dynasty to follow.

Are the individual scores for NCAAs on www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org not accurate? I have David Taylor with 101 points. Right?

2011 - 19.5
2012 - 30.5
2013 - 24.0
2014 - 27.0

Or is that part of the adjustment being made to level the playing field?

I have Ed Ruth with 96.5.

2011 - 18.5
2012 - 27.5
2013 - 26.0
2014 - 24.5

Are the individual scores for NCAAs on www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org not accurate? I have David Taylor with 101 points. Right?

2011 - 19.5
2012 - 30.5
2013 - 24.0
2014 - 27.0

Or is that part of the adjustment being made to level the playing field?

I have Ed Ruth with 96.5.

2011 - 18.5
2012 - 27.5
2013 - 26.0
2014 - 24.5

That website has errors in 2011 and 2012, so that's where your two extra points for Taylor and Ruth are coming from. I can guarantee 2012 for Taylor is wrong because it is impossible to score more than 30.

I have Taylor scoring 18.5 and 29.5 in 2011 and 2012, respectively. And, I have Ruth scoring 17.5 and 26.5 in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

2011: Taylor (4 advancement, 12 placement, 2.5 bonus); Ruth (3.5 advancement, 10 placement, 4 bonus)
2012: Taylor (4 advancement, 12 placement, 9.5 bonus); Ruth (4 advancement, 10 placement, 6.5 bonus)

That website has errors in 2011 and 2012, so that's where your two extra points for Taylor and Ruth are coming from. I can guarantee 2012 for Taylor is wrong because it is impossible to score more than 30.

I have Taylor scoring 18.5 and 29.5 in 2011 and 2012, respectively. And, I have Ruth scoring 17.5 and 26.5 in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

2011: Taylor (4 advancement, 12 placement, 2.5 bonus); Ruth (3.5 advancement, 10 placement, 4 bonus)
2012: Taylor (4 advancement, 12 placement, 9.5 bonus); Ruth (4 advancement, 10 placement, 6.5 bonus)
Incorrect. In 2011 and 2012, they were 64-man brackets with an extra advancement point if you won your first bout after a bye. DT did earn 30.5 points in 2012, and 2011 is correct as well.

Today, the brackets are 32-man, with a true pigtail. No more free advancement points.

Reactions: goStanford18
Incorrect. In 2011 and 2012, they were 64-man brackets with an extra advancement point if you won your first bout after a bye. DT did earn 30.5 points in 2012, and 2011 is correct as well.

Today, the brackets are 32-man, with a true pigtail. No more free advancement points.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Their scores may have been adjusted accordingly then. Perhaps @OkieSpladle can chime in to explain the difference.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Their scores may have been adjusted accordingly then. Perhaps @OkieSpladle can chime in to explain the difference.
They were. In DTs case, 4-time finalist, 4 Advancement Points each year...4x4 = 16. Not much time now, but morning yes. I happened to look at this in depth last year when it came out. Today’s scoring: no free advancement, 16/12/10/9/7/6/4/3 placement, and 2/1.5/1 for falls/techs/majors. Easy really.

Reactions: goStanford18
To settle the debate, Nolf/Nickal scored exactly the same amount of points at NCAAs as Taylor/Ruth (assuming scores are accurate). Unbelievable.

Here are the top 20:

1. Cael Sanderson, 107.5
  2. Logan Stieber, 103.5
  3. Ed Banach, 102.5
  4. Mark Churella, 99.5
  5. David Taylor, 99
  6. Pat Smith, 98.5
  7. Jason Nolf, 98
  8. Bo Nickal, 95.5
  9. Darryl Burley, 95
  10. Ed Ruth, 94.5
  12. Kyle Dake, 93
  13. Alex Dieringer, 93
  14. Gene Mills, 93
  15. Stephen Neal, 92
  16. Lincoln McIlravy, 90
  17. Jake Herbert, 90
  18. Jim Zalesky, 89.5
  19. Kyle Snyder, 89
  20. Ben Askren, 89

That stat alone shows the mentality that Cael and company have instilled or drilled into PSU's wrestling program / wrestlers. Score, score and then score some more. Don't stop pushing until you have the fall, TF, or the end of the match. I'm hopeful that our Iowa team will start catching on sooner rather than later or we'll never get back on top. I think we'll be a little closer next year, but I'm not so naive to think that Cael and the boys won't be stacked again next year. The recruiting and coaching is simply better than the other programs right now.

Reactions: kevin310
What's really interesting is that there is only one Iowa HS wrestler on that list and he was drummed out of the University of Iowa wrestling program.

Piggybacking on what @RoarLions1 said does this include the free point that they received from pigtail advance in prior scoring, could be up to as many as 4 extra free points. Or does this wash the tech points?

That’s a deep dive

@LemonPie

When I compiled this list last year, I went back and adjusted everyone's score to what today's scoring would be. So, I eliminated bye points from the years that had them and assessed bonus points based on final score. That means if a wrestler won by a margin of 15 or more in the era without a tech-fall, they got 1.5 bonus for it. Same with winning by 8, they got credit for 1 bonus. It isn't perfect, but it is as close to a level playing field as I could get, I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT