ADVERTISEMENT

No other way to slice it: Back to Back Disappointing Seasons

This is all you need to know:

From an article

“On 4th-and-13 at Arkansas 32-yard line, Penn State head coach James Franklin decided to go for a fake punt to try and extend their 10-7 lead.

After the game, Franklin explained that the fake punt was designed to make Arkansas commit defensive pass interference or to intercept Jordan Stout’s pass in the end zone for a touchback.

It’s, quite possibly, the most bizarre answer to a play-call you can have.”
Amazing. Vintage Franklin.

Good guy, solid recruiter. One of the worst tacticians in football. He’s worse than Les Miles in that sense. The game management is truly laughably bad.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and psu2016
omg.. yes it is.

btw, a real qb hits our wide open receiver (on far side) around the 10 and it's a TD. Not to bust on Stoudt who made a great escape and did his job best he could... one of the dumbest calls i've ever seen and it nearly cost us 3 points or worse before the half. Just incredibly stupid. Guess the heat got to coach fast... count me in the group disgusted by our $70M man. Just so stupid on so many levels.

And yeah, the players knew it, too. And yeah, that fing matters when players are asking themselves how stupid their coach is. He's a bad joke.
The heat got to him? Heck I posted on the in game thread wondering how long before he went for it in PSU territory. Everyone who has watched CJF knew something stupid would be done by him. Using Pinegar on a long field goal was the first. The fake was icing.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
for me it was PJ going down... he WAS the D.

You are correct. We need lots of big mean guys for the trenches.

Hope all is well my friend. Thanks for all the previous advice given as far as college recruiting. It worked out well for her.

The Joe Pa way is alive and well. You are going to see the main 2 examples in the championship game in Georgia and Alabama.
I could have sworn in my month or so here that I've seen multiple people complaining about them buying players, cheating, the SEC is weak, Georgia shouldn't be in the playoffs, etc.

I took the "JoePa way" to mean "success with honor". Focus being on grad rates and being content with 9-10 win years. The portal along with scholarship limits have changed everything.

I could have sworn in my month or so here that I've seen multiple people complaining about them buying players, cheating, the SEC is weak, Georgia shouldn't be in the playoffs, etc.

I took the "JoePa way" to mean "success with honor". Focus being on grad rates and being content with 9-10 win years. The portal along with scholarship limits have changed everything.
Saban is very similar to Joe. Coach then up, strong lines, run the ball, great in game coaching, defense first.

Success with honor is a slogan that was invented approximately 36 years after Joe coached his first psu game.

Success with honor is a slogan that was invented approximately 36 years after Joe coached his first psu game.
New to the board doesn't make me young. I'm well aware of the history of Penn State football. Begging for a coach that does things "the JoePa way" isn't necessary. We need a coach that is willing to do what it takes to win in this era.

There are just too many naive people on this board. Did anyone watch either CFP game last night? All 4 of those teams are better programs than ours. Better execution and team football than us. I’m sorry, but Franklin runs a program where we get great athletes, but they are coddled and go into business for themselves. I haven’t felt that our team was a true “team” since Barkley’s last year. Since then it’s just be a bunch of guys auditioning for the NFL. Also, our lines are way too soft to beat an Alabama or a Georgia. Bottom line is that Franklin doesn’t know how to build a championship football culture. Period.
Agreed

Does it get better in 2022?

• Sept. 3 at Purdue
  • Sept. 10 vs. Ohio
  • Sept. 17 at Auburn
  • Sept. 24 vs. Central Michigan
  • Oct. 1 vs. Ohio State
  • Oct. 8 at Michigan
  • Oct. 15 vs. Illinois
  • Oct. 29 vs. Michigan State
  • Nov. 5 at Indiana
  • Nov. 12 vs. Maryland
  • Nov. 19 vs. Minnesota
  • Nov. 26 at Rutgers

Looks daunting given what we’ve seen this year. Thoughts??

• Sept. 3 at Purdue
  • Sept. 10 vs. Ohio
  • Sept. 17 at Auburn
  • Oct. 1 vs. Ohio State
  • Oct. 8 at Michigan
  • Oct. 15 vs. Illinois
  • Nov. 5 at Indiana
  • Nov. 12 vs. Maryland
  • Nov. 19 vs. Minnesota
  • Nov. 26 at Rutgers

Will be lucky to go 7-5 but it could be worse. I can see losses against Purdue, OSU, UM, MSU, and Minnesota.

Bama does not cheat. They don't have to. They produce high quality young men.

Will be lucky to go 7-5 but it could be worse. I can see losses against Purdue, OSU, UM, MSU, and Minnesota.
Agreed--Purdue and Auburn will likely dictate the season. If they're 4-2 or better after Ohio State/Michigan then it looks like at least an 8 win year. Worst case 7. If they 3-3 or worse then we're in a world of trouble.

• Sept. 3 at Purdue
  • Sept. 10 vs. Ohio
  • Sept. 17 at Auburn
  • Oct. 1 vs. Ohio State
  • Oct. 8 at Michigan
  • Oct. 15 vs. Illinois
  • Nov. 5 at Indiana
  • Nov. 12 vs. Maryland
  • Nov. 19 vs. Minnesota
  • Nov. 26 at Rutgers

I won't care if we are 6-6 if coach spends time developing young players to be ready instead of building his bank account. Injuries happen. Not having trained replacements is bad.
1. Thank Clifford, but use 2022 to develop the 3 great young qbs we have.
2. Get outside help and advice to correct an 8 year long OL problem.
3. When asked if he is interested in other coaching jobs, say no. I am dedicated to making PSU the best.
4. Self examination. We are not a top program. What can I do to get better? Is my style of offense consistent with smash mouth football. Can I change that style to facilitate a top performing OL?
5. Insist on a NO EXCUSES team mind set. Develop the team's mental toughness.

Reactions: BudatPSU

• Sept. 3 at Purdue
  • Sept. 10 vs. Ohio
  • Sept. 17 at Auburn
  • Oct. 1 vs. Ohio State
  • Oct. 8 at Michigan
  • Oct. 15 vs. Illinois
  • Nov. 5 at Indiana
  • Nov. 12 vs. Maryland
  • Nov. 19 vs. Minnesota
  • Nov. 26 at Rutgers

6-6.

I won't care if we are 6-6 if coach spends time developing young players to be ready instead of building his bank account. Injuries happen. Not having trained replacements is bad.
1. Thank Clifford, but use 2022 to develop the 3 great young qbs we have.
2. Get outside help and advice to correct an 8 year long OL problem.
3. When asked if he is interested in other coaching jobs, say no. I am dedicated to making PSU the best.
4. Self examination. We are not a top program. What can I do to get better? Is my style of offense consistent with smash mouth football. Can I change that style to facilitate a top performing OL?
5. Insist on a NO EXCUSES team mind set. Develop the team's mental toughness.
You "don't care" if we are 6-6. Lmao.

The levels you coach worshipping clowns go to...

New to the board doesn't make me young. I'm well aware of the history of Penn State football. Begging for a coach that does things "the JoePa way" isn't necessary. We need a coach that is willing to do what it takes to win in this era.
We need a coach who can actually coach.

• Sept. 3 at Purdue
  • Sept. 10 vs. Ohio
  • Sept. 17 at Auburn
  • Oct. 1 vs. Ohio State
  • Oct. 8 at Michigan
  • Oct. 15 vs. Illinois
  • Nov. 5 at Indiana
  • Nov. 12 vs. Maryland
  • Nov. 19 vs. Minnesota
  • Nov. 26 at Rutgers

If we have a good and healthy team looks like 9 wins. If not... 6-6. Do we really have illinois at home again? maybe we can get to 11 OT's!!

• Sept. 3 at Purdue
  • Sept. 10 vs. Ohio
  • Sept. 17 at Auburn
  • Oct. 1 vs. Ohio State
  • Oct. 8 at Michigan
  • Oct. 15 vs. Illinois
  • Nov. 5 at Indiana
  • Nov. 12 vs. Maryland
  • Nov. 19 vs. Minnesota
  • Nov. 26 at Rutgers

October 8/9 should be interesting around here. By then you’ll pretty much know how the season will go.

The Joe Pa way is alive and well. You are going to see the main 2 examples in the championship game in Georgia and Alabama.
Joe's last full season, he was 7-6 with losses to Alabama, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State and then Florida in the Outback Bowl (lost by 13 points).

Seems pretty familiar doesn't it?

Joe's last full season, he was 7-6 with losses to Alabama, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State and then Florida in the Outback Bowl (lost by 13 points).

Seems pretty familiar doesn't it?
Wrong. Joe's last season was 2011 and at the time he was fired he had exactly 1 loss.

Wrong. Joe's last season was 2011 and at the time he was fired he had exactly 1 loss.
He said full season, but I agree, he picked his timeline strategically. Maybe he was projecting that this was CJFs last full year, I dunno. 😃

He said full season, but I agree, he picked his timeline strategically. Maybe he was projecting that this was CJFs last full year, I dunno. 😃
The point is, everyone wants to remember from the late 70's and 80's but the reality is that after the 1994 season, we went 16 seasons averaging just over 8 wins a year with Joe as the HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT