ADVERTISEMENT

No other way to slice it: Back to Back Disappointing Seasons

There are just too many naive people on this board. Did anyone watch either CFP game last night? All 4 of those teams are better programs than ours. Better execution and team football than us. I’m sorry, but Franklin runs a program where we get great athletes, but they are coddled and go into business for themselves. I haven’t felt that our team was a true “team” since Barkley’s last year. Since then it’s just be a bunch of guys auditioning for the NFL. Also, our lines are way too soft to beat an Alabama or a Georgia. Bottom line is that Franklin doesn’t know how to build a championship football culture. Period.

Lost to Iowa, Ill, O$U, scUM, and M$U by 21 points. That would have been very different with any resemblance of a running game. That was the biggest disappointment of the year.
Yup, an average running game was all that was needed. You can blame coaches, injuries, officials, whatever but the bottom line was play calling is limited when you can't run it some and leaves your qb vulnerable to teams teeing off on the pass. Couldn't keep the offense on the field in short yardage situations leading to the defense getting worn down and giving up late scores. We had a really good team otherwise, but couldn't hide the run game being so bad.

There are just too many naive people on this board. Did anyone watch either CFP game last night? All 4 of those teams are better programs than ours. Better execution and team football than us. I’m sorry, but Franklin runs a program where we get great athletes, but they are coddled and go into business for themselves. I haven’t felt that our team was a true “team” since Barkley’s last year. Since then it’s just be a bunch of guys auditioning for the NFL. Also, our lines are way too soft to beat an Alabama or a Georgia. Bottom line is that Franklin doesn’t know how to build a championship football culture. Period.
I know that you don't want to and probably won't hear this but every loss that we had was by less than 10 points, the worst was Ohio St which was only 9 and we only lost to playoff team Michigan by 4. There are no teams who are at the level of Alabama and Georgia on a consistent basis. Ohio St is the closest and then maybe Clemson but other than that we are all right in the same boat

While I don't agree with you, this is a well thought out take. I can see why you see it this way.

I watched.. 2 are clearly better. We're pretty even with Michigan. We're a better program than Cincy. Cincy's success is the result of having a ton of experience and a coach that brought it all together. Lightning in a bottle. Like UCF or previous group of 5 teams. 2 of 22 with sophomore eligibility in their starting offense and defense. Everyone else jr, sr or graduate transfers. One 3rd year player on defense, everyone else 4th or 5th. Bama and Georgia have great players all over the field. Bama's heisman qb made multiple mistakes but they make up for them by the talent around him on offense or the defense making big stops. Lot easier to coach guys and depend on them when they're better than the guy they're going up against. Bottom line is you need elite talent to win. They make the coaches look good. Our back 7 on defense was probably comparable to Georgia and Bama. Our d-line is not. Our o-line is not. Our qb is maybe comparable to Stetson Bennett.. good enough to win with elite talent but not a qb that can win games on his own. Our wrs/te's have been very good. Step down from Bama's recent studs but good enough to hold their own. Our rbs had been elite. Journey would've been the next guy after Barkley and Sanders. Hopefully that's rectified with this year's class. Get the d-line back to where it historically has been and fix that o-line. Then we'll have a chance vs the truly elite. If you don't have the players, you aren't going to out scheme teams that do.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
It’s not a lie if you believe it so said the famous philosopher of our time.... George Kastanza.

4-5 in 2020, and no, covid is no excuse.
7-5 in 2021, and no, there is no excuse.
If 2022 is no better, then that's 3 straight disappointments.
The season ended over a month ago. Good morning, Rip Van Winkle. How was your nap?

Yup, an average running game was all that was needed. You can blame coaches, injuries, officials, whatever but the bottom line was play calling is limited when you can't run it some and leaves your qb vulnerable to teams teeing off on the pass. Couldn't keep the offense on the field in short yardage situations leading to the defense getting worn down and giving up late scores. We had a really good team otherwise, but couldn't hide the run game being so bad.
A glass half full for sure. I counter with PSU hasn’t beat a good ranked team in 3 years. Seven wins this year, all came against mediocre teams with a loss against a terrible team.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Period

A glass half full for sure. I counter with PSU hasn’t beat a good ranked team in 3 years. Seven wins this year, all came against mediocre teams with a loss against a terrible team.
What Big game has Franklin won since he has been at PSU? ONE Game maybe two and that year PSU lost 3 games.

I know that you don't want to and probably won't hear this but every loss that we had was by less than 10 points, the worst was Ohio St which was only 9 and we only lost to playoff team Michigan by 4. There are no teams who are at the level of Alabama and Georgia on a consistent basis. Ohio St is the closest and then maybe Clemson but other than that we are all right in the same boat
So what you're saying is PS lost 5 games they could have won??? Just stupid

OTOH, nobody really thought this year would be anything special prior to the season. Then we defeated Wisconsin and Auburn within the first few weeks, and everyone thought we had some kind of a great team. It was not real.
Bull$hit. Every prediction I saw had 9-3 at worst or 8-4 as the cellar.

OTOH, nobody really thought this year would be anything special prior to the season. Then we defeated Wisconsin and Auburn within the first few weeks, and everyone thought we had some kind of a great team. It was not real.
Why aren't they a "great team" in Franklin's 8th year? Is that acceptable?

This is all you need to know:

From an article

“On 4th-and-13 at Arkansas 32-yard line, Penn State head coach James Franklin decided to go for a fake punt to try and extend their 10-7 lead.

After the game, Franklin explained that the fake punt was designed to make Arkansas commit defensive pass interference or to intercept Jordan Stout’s pass in the end zone for a touchback.

It’s, quite possibly, the most bizarre answer to a play-call you can have.”

Excellent post and observations!

And that qualifies as a 3rd straight disappointment season. No worries though, Marshall 28 is predicting 2-10 so he can bow down to Franklin when that 7-5 comes in again.
Once again he is AWOL. He knows Franklin and his style is not tough enough to win. It is inescapable now. But he will NEVER admit he is wrong because he once coached some Class AA Team.

This is all you need to know:

From an article

“On 4th-and-13 at Arkansas 32-yard line, Penn State head coach James Franklin decided to go for a fake punt to try and extend their 10-7 lead.

After the game, Franklin explained that the fake punt was designed to make Arkansas commit defensive pass interference or to intercept Jordan Stout’s pass in the end zone for a touchback.

It’s, quite possibly, the most bizarre answer to a play-call you can have.”
omg.. yes it is.

btw, a real qb hits our wide open receiver (on far side) around the 10 and it's a TD. Not to bust on Stoudt who made a great escape and did his job best he could... one of the dumbest calls i've ever seen and it nearly cost us 3 points or worse before the half. Just incredibly stupid. Guess the heat got to coach fast... count me in the group disgusted by our $70M man. Just so stupid on so many levels.

And yeah, the players knew it, too. And yeah, that fing matters when players are asking themselves how stupid their coach is. He's a bad joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT