ADVERTISEMENT

"No good quarterbacks were available in the portal"

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
Let's revisit that apologist stance now that we have seen proof of exactly how good Roberson is. Can someone pull up a list of the quarterbacks that went this year in the portal? Because I'm willing to bet there are quite a few who are a step up from Roberson. So many posters on here were lambasted by the Franklin apologist squad for merely suggesting that it was a catastrophic failure on Franklin's part not to at least take a serviceable quarterback, and if he couldn't get one to come here, then that's also a failure on his part to not be a good enough recruiter to bring one in.

In regards to the transfer portal, we can use it to our advantage for the 2022 season. Clifford may move on and we all know that Roberson is terrible. So there is a chance that a transfer portal quarterback will see a good opportunity to start at Penn State in 2022. In reality, this opportunity did not exist in 2021 with Clifford coming back.

Reactions: wilbury and FJ47
Maybe we don’t know if and what kind of efforts at finding a QB transfer were being made, but that sort of information usually has a way of leaking out. I haven’t heard or read much. Franklin should have known what he had with Roberson by 2020
It’s pretty obvious at this point that if we don’t get one or two transfer QB’s for 2022, we are looking at a bad losing season. Yurcich won’t be able to run his offense and our OL is so awful it will take years and a coaching change to fix.

Let's revisit that apologist stance now that we have seen proof of exactly how good Roberson is. Can someone pull up a list of the quarterbacks that went this year in the portal? Because I'm willing to bet there are quite a few who are a step up from Roberson. So many posters on here were lambasted by the Franklin apologist squad for merely suggesting that it was a catastrophic failure on Franklin's part not to at least take a serviceable quarterback, and if he couldn't get one to come here, then that's also a failure on his part to not be a good enough recruiter to bring one in.
Let’s revisit that the portal isn’t like picking up a loaf of bread at your local Kroger’s. It’s more free agency that the player can choose the best situation for himself. I’m sick of everyone thinking that there was a QB, any QB, that would have wanted to come to Penn State to sit behind Clifford for this season. It wasn’t happening. Period. Give it a rest.

Maybe we don’t know if and what kind of efforts at finding a QB transfer were being made, but that sort of information usually has a way of leaking out. I haven’t heard or read much. Franklin should have known what he had with Roberson by 2020
It’s pretty obvious at this point that if we don’t get one or two transfer QB’s for 2022, we are looking at a bad losing season. Yurcich won’t be able to run his offense and our OL is so awful it will take years and a coaching change to fix.
Yurcich is a journeyman so if he can’t run his offense with the personnel we have, then he may very well jet at the end of this season.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Let’s revisit that the portal isn’t like picking up a loaf of bread at your local Kroger’s. It’s more free agency that the player can choose the best situation for himself. I’m sick of everyone thinking that there was a QB, any QB, that would have wanted to come to Penn State to sit behind Clifford for this season. It wasn’t happening. Period. Give it a rest.
That's bs and you know it. A head coaches job is to solve problems and he didn't do his damn job.

Got it all figured out eh? Nothing I like more than idiotic posts from self-proclaimed experts who don’t know their you know what from a hole in the ground.

Yurcich is a journeyman so if he can’t run his offense with the personnel we have, then he may very well jet at the end of this season.
Frankly was very disappointed with his play calling. How many predictable 1st down runs for little or no gain did he call in the second half and OT foe little or no gain. Actually thought we were going to pull it out but Brisker couldn’t haul in what would have been a game clinching pick in one of the early OTs.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
He failed to get a quarterback and that's his failure.
What’s he supposed to do, hold a gun to someone’s head? You have no idea what he tried or didn’t try, so you sound like a fool, but I’m sure you’re used to that.

I’m sick of everyone thinking that there was a QB, any QB, that would have wanted to come to Penn State to sit behind Clifford for this season. It wasn’t happening. Period. Give it a rest.

Maybe the Texas Tech QB. He's at Michigan and is 3rd.

Still, I don't think the QB matters when the OL cannot run block. Doesn't matter when your defense can't stop the run. Doesn't matter when your DC doesn't adjust to a 7 OL 2 TE set. Doesn't matter when your coaches put a hurt QB out there and refuse to even try the backups.

Alan Bowman
Joe Milton
Tyler Shough
Charlie Brewer
Nkosi Perry
Dylan McCaffrey
Luke McCaffrey
Ryan Hilinski
TJ Finley
McKenzie Milton
Hendon Hooker
Jarrett Guarantano
Austin Kendall
Jace Ruder
Tanner Mordecai
Rocky Lombardi

There are 16 for you. All are better than Roberson, and all would have beaten Iowa and Illinoi.

Alan Bowman
Joe Milton
Tyler Shough
Charlie Brewer
Nkosi Perry
Dylan McCaffrey
Luke McCaffrey
Ryan Hilinski
TJ Finley
McKenzie Milton
Hendon Hooker
Jarrett Guarantano
Austin Kendall
Jace Ruder
Tanner Mordecai
Rocky Lombardi

There are 16 for you. All are better than Roberson, and all would have beaten Iowa and Illinoi.
Boom. Now shut up.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Alan Bowman
Joe Milton
Tyler Shough
Charlie Brewer
Nkosi Perry
Dylan McCaffrey
Luke McCaffrey
Ryan Hilinski
TJ Finley
McKenzie Milton
Hendon Hooker
Jarrett Guarantano
Austin Kendall
Jace Ruder
Tanner Mordecai
Rocky Lombardi

And how many turned PSU down? How many did Franklin try to get? How many went to a situation where they knew they were not going to get a chance to start? Throwing names out there doesn’t make you right.

Reactions: m48tank
The reality is that we do not have a backup QB in 2021 who can play.
This also means that unless we can get one or two from the portal this off-season, we will likely be forced to play a true freshman next year. That’s a pretty big failure any way you look at it for PSU and Franklin.

Reactions: psu00
That's bs and you know it. A head coaches job is to solve problems and he didn't do his damn job.
Risk management. Contingency planning. When faced with the question of what if #14 gets hurt during the season, he decided to go with what he has and hope it doesn’t transpire. Poor planning considering Clifford’s track record and the track record of QB’s getting hurt in this offense.

Alan Bowman- 2020 starter didn't return.
Joe Milton- week one starter
Tyler Shough- week one starter
Charlie Brewer - week one starter
Nkosi Perry- week one starter
Dylan McCaffrey- week one starter
Luke McCaffrey - 2020 starter didn’t return
Ryan Hilinski- 2020 starter didn’t return.
TJ Finley- fair but Louisiana kid staying in the sec and not coming north not a surprise
McKenzie Milton-I mean sure but injury history plus a kid from Hawaii coming to pa…
Hendon Hooker- 2020 starter didn’t return
Jarrett Guarantano- week one starter
Austin Kendall- week one starter
Jace Ruder- week one starter
Tanner Mordecai- week one starter
Rocky Lombardi- week one starter

So really 2. Finley, McKenzie. The rest won starting jobs or were in competitions for starting jobs because no incumbents came back. So not comparable situations to here.

Last edited:
Kent State's Dustin Crum had 26 completions for 31 attempts today in win at Ohio U. No INT's.
His backup (R- soph.) looks to be at least as promising.
Crum might be a mid-round pick. He is smart (Aerospace Engineering grad.), runs RPO well, is very accurate, and an elusive runner.

Only 3 of those transferred to be backups the rest either won starting jobs or competed for the because the starter from last year didn’t return. Still owe us 7.
Not to mention maybe those three didn’t want to come to PSU even if Franklin recruited them

If you think QBs didn’t come here because they thought they would be the backup then you have never played competitive athletics. Everyone believes they have what it takes to start. The reason no one came is because Franklin and Yurcich were looking for the perfect fit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT