ADVERTISEMENT

No changes up front

Plan A is stay the same.

But, just my uneducated eye tells me that Bates and Mahon are playing out of position and McGovern is still struggling with the OL Calls. McGovern is a guard, Bates is a guard and Mahon is a tackle. But Bates is their most athletic lineman and he needs to be on McSorley’s blind side. So he stays at LT because there is no alternative. Fries is not ready.

Plan B is to flip flop Mahon with Wright/Fries.

Plan C would be to move Mahon to RT which is where he was a top performer, bench Wright and slot Menet in at RG.

Plan D is move McGovern to RG and slot Simpson or Menet in at C. That’s the riskiest of the four options.
if Wright is not a full go, I choose D (and if Menet is RS I dont pull the shirt, Simpson can play C), I know 70 can play OT, I think 66 will be better at OG.

if Wright is not a full go, I choose D (and if Menet is RS I dont pull the shirt, Simpson can play C), I know 70 can play OT, I think 66 will be better at OG.

If Menet is a RS????

Menet redshirted in 2016, his true freshmen season. No redshirt considerations now.

I just don’t agree he is functional. I feel he is a liability in blocking.
I wouldn't argue your point. He's not a great blocker for a tight end. But he's a very good receiving tight end. Enough so that you would think he could remain in the game on running plays and serve a useful purpose by going out for a pass and taking a defender with him, no? If the Lions are gonna run a legit RPO, they need to show the pass option. If the Lions started a trend of pulling him out of the game for running plays, wouldn't it just serve to telegraph what they are calling?

Gesicki is a waste of a player when kept in to block because he can’t block a breeze. He is horrible and if he was decent, then some of those run losses would be gains. The guy does not appear to have any upper body strength when he blocks, either that or h is afraid to hit somebody.
you mean like here when he knocks the hell out of the LBer?

For those who are bustin' on Mike G for blocking, watch the first play of the second half of the big ten championship game. Trace's pass to Blacknall.

@sluggo72, if you are going to link youtube video's as evidence, please give a time tag to so as to simplify proving your point.

What play are you talking about here? Because if you had the video aligned with the play (about 6:23 in) ---- yes, the TE blows up the LB --- however, the TE is #18 not #88!! Is your example at some other time in the game?
you are correct it is 18, maybe he needs to play more!! OTOH hand look at the clip in the championship game, 88 blocks it prefectly

Old man yells at clouds, lol. Original post was simply cut and paste on Franklin's stance. The feeling here was that Fries would be the man, with BB just too banged up right now. "Show ignored content" lmao.

@sluggo72, if you are going to link youtube video's as evidence, please give a time tag to so as to simplify proving your point.
I try to link them to the time where the play begins. On one I saw 88 but when I blew it up it was 18, he might need to play more. Just check what 88 does in the championship game linked above, text book blocking.

I try to link them to the time where the play begins. On one I saw 88 but when I blew it up it was 18, he might need to play more. Just check what 88 does in the championship game linked above, text book blocking.
One bit of advice, Rivals forums will take the YT link (even with time tag embedded) and make it a generic link from the start. Its an annoying as hell feature by Rivals, but it is what it is.

One bit of advice, Rivals forums will take the YT link (even with time tag embedded) and make it a generic link from the start. Its an annoying as hell feature by Rivals, but it is what it is.
Hmm it always comes to the time I linked in my browser.

Hmm it always comes to the time I linked in my browser.
Well what do you know! They fixed it! Forgive me for being a PITA. It didn't use to do that before (back when this new look first rolled out). Rivals actually fixed something and made it better!

Makes no sense to me to move Connor over to guard. Frankly he didn't play well at guard last year.

that 3 way would not make sense. if you move Mahon to RT then you would move Menet to the RG spot. Franklin implied that was the move of Fries. Menet is the highest rated OL we have recruited in the last few years. is Mahon healthy?

Fries to RT is not really a "change", as Will has played plenty, and at crunch time, at RT. I say he does a good job this week vs Michigan, as does the whole O line. I think the 2 weeks did us some good up front.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Wouldn't call Will Fries named as starting LT that newsworthy. Off topic but next year I like a line (left to right) of Fries, Bates, McGovern, Gonzalez, Wright. Buckhoktz almost has to move inside to DT next year looking at that depth chart.

Wouldn't call Will Fries named as starting LT that newsworthy. Off topic but next year I like a line (left to right) of Fries, Bates, McGovern, Gonzalez, Wright. Buckhoktz almost has to move inside to DT next year looking at that depth chart.
The concern this week is how to handle Gary. Hurst will present problems also. Shuffling at this point makes it worse. Franklin is handling this correctly, with Limegrover providing his expertise. We need to adjust the game plan, and I believe we will see that from Moorhead.

The concern this week is how to handle Gary. Hurst will present problems also. Shuffling at this point makes it worse. Franklin is handling this correctly, with Limegrover providing his expertise. We need to adjust the game plan, and I believe we will see that from Moorhead.
Gary? Just start off in 2 TE's, and have the OT and the TE bang on him for a while, and run it right at him, I figure that will slow him down. If you do run away, make sure someone is assigned to put their hat on him, chop him on or near the LOS, should slow him down some more. Sprinkle in what you do best and go on.

Gary? Just start off in 2 TE's, and have the OT and the TE bang on him for a while, and run it right at him, I figure that will slow him down. If you do run away, make sure someone is assigned to put their hat on him, chop him on or near the LOS, should slow him down some more. Sprinkle in what you do best and go on.
Well we both know Moorhead isnt going 2 TE, but your other points are dead-on. Gotta get a hat on a hat with Gary. GOT TO. And yes, chip and when you can, legally, chop him, but be careful because we need to know who we are playing and officiating history also. I'm tellin ya bro, I'd mix Big Bacon in with Fries in this game, because we need to get a piece of him on every play.

Well we both know Moorhead isnt going 2 TE, but your other points are dead-on. Gotta get a hat on a hat with Gary. GOT TO. And yes, chip and when you can, legally, chop him, but be careful because we need to know who we are playing and officiating history also. I'm tellin ya bro, I'd mix Big Bacon in with Fries in this game, because we need to get a piece of him on every play.
bacon on Fries with a little cheese is always good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT