ADVERTISEMENT

Nicholas Singleton

I frequent that YouTube page and it was just posted a little while ago. What a get get from the staff! I bet he will be cleaning 405 like Barkley in no time
I’ve heard of it once or twice but I like the content, subscribed as well lol

First, my knees are hurtin just watching!

Second, sometimes I wonder about the science behind some strange moves or is it the trainer just trying to be different?

Last and most important, are these workouts coordinated with the PSU strength/conditioning staff? Seems like they would major input into a player’s workout regime.

First, my knees are hurtin just watching!

Second, sometimes I wonder about the science behind some strange moves or is it the trainer just trying to be different?

Last and most important, are these workouts coordinated with the PSU strength/conditioning staff? Seems like they would major input into a player’s workout regime.
It depends when this video was recorded, it’s likely somewhat recent so in that aspect I’m sure the program had some input on the workout regime or likely are in contact with the gym anyway. It’s a rather prominent gym in the area and obviously one where a lot of high athletes athletes train so I’m sure they were aware and have some input.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I frequent that YouTube page and it was just posted a little while ago. What a great get from the staff! I bet he will be cleaning 405 like Barkley in no time
Why does a running back have to lift 400lbs? Other than stress on instep. Ankles knees etc what is gained.
This is a serious question from a the generation where lifting weights made you muscle bound.

Why does a running back have to lift 400lbs? Other than stress on instep. Ankles knees etc what is gained.
This is a serious question from a the generation where lifting weights made you muscle bound.
Start by repeating one thousand times.....bigger faster stronger

Start by repeating one thousand times.....bigger faster stronger
How does it make him faster?
Wouldn't reps with less weight accomplish the same goal with less risk?
We seem to have an inordinate number Of foot ankle injuries in training

Generally speaking a stronger muscle is a capable of increasing speed of movement. Proper training methods can actually reduce injuries on the field.
Muscle groups are trained thru full range of motion. antagonistic or opposing muscle groups must be trained to create proper balance of development......for example quads and hams or bicep and triceps. Strength is increased by exhausting as many muscle fibers as possible. In other words working with a weight that is heavy enough to cause failure with repetitions ranging from about 7-10 with a duration of exercise approximately 45 to 60 seconds. Explosive exercises like the power clean are now believed to train fast twitch muscle fibers and improve on field performance.

You will be hard pressed to find a hip/waist squat machine if you visited 10-15 gyms at random. This fly wheel based machine that put out what you put in is even rarer. Railroads used to use something similar in pre hire screening for shoulders and knees.

A lot of people's "if I lift heavy, I'll get bulky and slow" is a misnomer, particularly if you grew up in the 70s and 80s when magazines used to act like you could look like Arnold with a little effort, failing to mention that in his prime he spent 4-6 hours in the gym, ate insane amounts of food, and was on a ton of steroids.

This workout is all about fast twitch movements and speed doing them. Balance and ankle mobility thrown in as well. This is probably just 1 day in a cycle of 8-10.

Another forgotten factor is cardio. We don't see it, but Nick probably has a strict cardio regime as well. Sprints, stairs, wind resistance. You aren't going to get bulky if your food intake and cardio don't allow it. Never mind the fact this is a world class athlete.

I frequent that YouTube page and it was just posted a little while ago. What a great get from the staff! I bet he will be cleaning 405 like Barkley in no time
better run like barkley.....the lift is great but......football wins are all that matters, i dont care how we get them

You will be hard pressed to find a hip/waist squat machine if you visited 10-15 gyms at random. This fly wheel based machine that put out what you put in is even rarer. Railroads used to use something similar in pre hire screening for shoulders and knees.

A lot of people's "if I lift heavy, I'll get bulky and slow" is a misnomer, particularly if you grew up in the 70s and 80s when magazines used to act like you could look like Arnold with a little effort, failing to mention that in his prime he spent 4-6 hours in the gym, ate insane amounts of food, and was on a ton of steroids.

This workout is all about fast twitch movements and speed doing them. Balance and ankle mobility thrown in as well. This is probably just 1 day in a cycle of 8-10.

Another forgotten factor is cardio. We don't see it, but Nick probably has a strict cardio regime as well. Sprints, stairs, wind resistance. You aren't going to get bulky if your food intake and cardio don't allow it. Never mind the fact this is a world class athlete.
Proper diet and intense strength training will improve every athlete. How an individual responds to strength training has a lot to do with genetics. The NFL uses the bench press to gauge upper body strength....yet that exercise favors individuals with short arms. I would think OL with longer limbs are ideal for pass pro. Today's premier athlete has the benefit of advanced science and proven concepts. Elite athletes are given programs that stress maintaining and even increasing flexibility and range of motion. Strength is ideally improved by attempting to do a repetition that for the moment is not possible. In other words high intensity training to momentary muscular failure. Speed ideally should be trained by 100% effort. Repeatedly doing tasks that you can already comfortably achieve does not enhance strength or speed.
Even when I coached in the70's and the80's all our conditioning work was done by the clock. 20 x 40yds. with each speed group having a target time. Any sprint not completed within the designated time would be repeated after practice.

It's all about ATP production and how athletes process it (ATP is the currency for energy). Explosion (anaerobic) requires one method of production, intermediate activity another and finally endurance (aerobic). Football players must condition all three production processes, with an emphasis on #1 where proper nutrition and training can enhance the amount of ATP stored in the mitochondria of the muscles and lead to improvements in explosive athletic moves. Today's athletes are blessed to be surrounded by athletic trainers and certified strength and conditioning coaches. Nothing is left to chance.

Barkley's injury history in the pros is not a great indicator for extreme weight training.
Which injury was caused by “extreme” weightlifting? Was it the knee injury or the high ankle sprain?

Which injury was caused by “extreme” weightlifting? Was it the knee injury or the high ankle sprain?
LOL now we also know that every D1 football team, not to mention the NFL doesn't know what the hell they are doing. Saving grace is that now we know it isn't just CJF and staff that are clueless.

Reactions: EPC FAN
This video was almost certainly from before he went to State College.

It was the week before he went to his all star game according to his S&C coach during the video. I think that's why he quit at 326 (or whatever weight his last rep was) on the cleans and didn't try a PR.

Barkley's injury history in the pros is not a great indicator for extreme weight training.
Many people in the strength and conditioning field have been pretty critical of Joe Judge and the way the Giants operated a lot of the workload management. When you lead the league in people on injured reserve that is never a good sign. Google Joe Judge Giants Injuries and there are quite a few articles about their conditioning practices vs other teams and the correlation to injury rates.

Last edited:
While we get excited about times in the 40 yard dash.....How many times per game do players sprint 40 yards in a straight line? I've found that football is a game of individual plays often determined by the first steps taken by players. The player that gets to the desired spot first and can deliver a blow, wins the play. First step (and certainly the first few steps) determine who wins the day. As far as increasing speed, I always broke it down to 2 general categories: 1 increase stride length 2 increase frequency of strides.
Strength is critical in both factors, not just gluts, hams, quads, gastrocs and soleus.....but core strength for torso stabilization. Next, and perhaps the most difficult to achieve is to refine movement for maximum efficiency.

Reactions: EPC FAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT