ADVERTISEMENT

NFL week one, Stadiums have Pitt Yellow Seatitis

Check out the NASCAR races. They were selling out races everywhere then started to change things to make it "better and get bigger". Now they can't sell out Bristol, which was a race that had a 5 year waiting list. The NFL and that idiot Goodell should remember what got them where they're at and leave the product on the field alone. Oh yeah, and quit playing games overseas. That's just idiotic.

Gee, do you think if they actually pretended like they cared about their customers then people might show up? The Chargers had very little emotional equity in SD, and practically none in LA. So why should someone plunk down hundreds of dollars to watch an uninspired franchise that he/she has no history with? The reality is that the league has gambled that their product was unsinkable and a captive audience could never be swayed. It's starting to look like they were wrong and that customers (who are always right) are coming to the realization that they don't need football as an increasingly expensive (in $$ and time) hobby. Maybe if they stopped gouging prices to attend their events, people might come back.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
The NFL is simply too expensive for me to attend.* Truth be told, that's starting to happen with other sports for me too. I *was* a season ticket holder for PSU, for example. I thought about attending the tOSU-Okla game (I have access to tickets as an alum)--but not at $162 each. Still a season ticket holder (10 games) for the Jackets and Crew (full). But they keep doing little things that make you want to stay home more than come. The loud music thread was one. If it's as bad this season for the Jackets as it was during the playoffs, I might have to drop my tickets due to tinnitus. Then there's security. I get why it might be needed--but it's just one added layer that makes it less fun to attend a game.

I'm not the only one here--a buddy of mine recently dropped his tOSU season tix after at least 30 years and another friend is rethinking his Bills season tickets. Sports seem to be becoming another entertainment option rather than a passion, and that has to make it tougher to sell seats.

*Edit: Then again, Stubhub has a large number of Colts tickets this weekend for $10....

Oversaturation is rampant in sports. College football suffers from it too.

Reactions: bison13
Oversaturation is rampant in sports. College football suffers from it too.

Yeah. It's too readily available and disposable and the alternatives (video games, streaming video, 'life') are getting better and more compelling. No one has to watch a game on the NFL's terms anymore. They can do whatever they want and watch however they want later (if they care to at all). There just aren't any compelling stories either. All the news is mostly bad (teams moving, players being suspended/reprimanded, political issues dividing fans, ratings down, etc.) and younger folks simply have better/other things to do. The NFL is a $14bn industry - the video game industry is at about $99bn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT