ADVERTISEMENT

NFL tv ratings took a massive hit... what do you do if you are owners to try and increase ratings?

I'm certainly not rational enough to ignore violent riots in 140 cities, billions of dollars in property damages, destruction of businesses and homes, and steep increases in murders in mostly minority neighborhoods while pitching it as peaceful protests.
giphy.gif

But this is about players taking a knee, not the riots. You're an idiot that some how equates the two to being the same thing because your talking heads tell you to think that way. In fact the taking of the knee is the exact opposite of people rioting and breaking the law.....the exact opposite. Well done.

But this is about players taking a knee, not the riots. You're an idiot that some how equates the two to being the same thing because your talking heads tell you to think that way. In fact the taking of the knee is the exact opposite of people rioting and breaking the law.....the exact opposite. Well done.
You've called me irrational and now an idiot because I acknowledge that there have been riots in over 140 cities. You don't get 3 strikes on the name calling and you are being dishonest if you can't acknowledge the violence nearly every night for months in over 140 cities across the nation. I'm going to figure out how to do the ignore function and you get the first ignore.

You've called me irrational and now an idiot because I acknowledge that there have been riots in over 140 cities. You don't get 3 strikes on the name calling and you are being dishonest if you can't acknowledge the violence nearly every night for months in over 140 cities across the nation. I'm going to figure out how to do the ignore function and you get the first ignore.
Is taking a knee a riot? I would run away too because you look foolish.

Welcone to the legions who have this jetk on ignore.

• Love
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Political shouting match? Who knows why they were down, assuming that info is correct. You really think the numbers went down THAT much because some players chose to do something as simple as kneeling during the National Anthem, which there is no reason to play before games? LOL
They did a little more than that. Names and logos on helmets, end zone and/or goalpost decorations, networks lecturing about social justice, etc. Sounds like you bought it hook, line and sinker. Congrats.

I had to check, since I hadn’t noticed what’s painted on the field that’s so distracting/offensive to some. The End Zones say “End Racism” and “It takes all of us”. WTF is there to “buy” with those types of messages? I guess I just surround myself with a different type of people than many on this board (or, in this thread I should say), since I literally know no one that would outwardly complain about that message, or be offended by it because some bad apples are rioting.

Just click on his name then click the ignore button.

Reactions: JustinTyme
I had to check, since I hadn’t noticed what’s painted on the field that’s so distracting/offensive to some. The End Zones say “End Racism” and “It takes all of us”. WTF is there to “buy” with those types of messages? I guess I just surround myself with a different type of people than many on this board (or, in this thread I should say), since I literally know no one that would outwardly complain about that message, or be offended by it because some bad apples are rioting.
It’s fake outrage.

I served in multiple combat zones and it does offend me. It is their right to do that but it still offends me and that's my right. I do question people pushing certain agendas with the names of criminals (such as on their helmets), particularly while many minority neighborhoods in cities that get behind the agenda are looted and burned.

I'd love for these players and owners to want to make a difference to those people who lost everything in the 140 US cities that have had riots, to those who have to clean up after the temper tantrums that the athletes and celebrities fuel from a safe distance with tweets and public gestures. Maybe the players can open businesses to serve these minority communities that had their businesses looted or burned where many of the businesses won't come back? Maybe they can donate half of their salaries to rebuild these neighborhoods? There are a number of constructive ways to help people.

I can't get behind efforts to get people angry and destroy property or lives. You would think that social justice efforts should build minority neighborhoods, lives, and opportunities as opposed to burning them down. And not personally doing the burning down certainly doesn't absolve one from responsibility by knowingly engaging in efforts that time and time again have lead to burning it down. If I know that nearly every time that X occurs that Y happens shortly after, then have I not effectively contributed to Y every time I chose to do X?
If it offends you, don’t watch. The American flag means a hell of a lot more than “military.” In fact, the flag represents the freedom those players have to kneel. The worst thing to happen is this assumption that the flag=military.

Reactions: Lion-skier

Do you also know no one who has a major problem with the NFL playing the black national anthem or donating millions of dollars to a Marxist group dedicated to destroying our nation? If so, you are correct that you surround yourself with “different people.” Those people are the uninformed.

Reactions: scbob

Not so long ago he was on the board representing himself as a political moderate. Now if you disagree with him it immediately turns nasty. The ignore feature is really easy to use.

If it offends you, don’t watch. The American flag means a hell of a lot more than “military.” In fact, the flag represents the freedom those players have to kneel. The worst thing to happen is this assumption that the flag=military.
It also represents my right to spit on someone’s grave, insult people to their face, be rude to waitresses, and any number of other disrespectful things, but that doesn’t mean I should do them.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Not so long ago he was on the board representing himself as a political moderate. Now if you disagree with him it immediately turns nasty. The ignore feature is really easy to use.
Oh please Todd...he was equating taking a knee to a riot which it clearly is not. It's the exact opposite of a riot. Somehow in some peoples heads if you take a knee on a football field, you are looting Target. BTW, your glass house has it's own holes too Todd.

Last edited:
Oh please Todd...he was equating taking a knee to a riot which it clearly is not. It's the exact opposite of a riot. Somehow in some peoples heads if you take a knee on a football field, you are looting Target. BTW, your glass house has it's own holes too Todd.

You lost this debate long ago...

Reactions: scbob
Thanks, I haven't for a few years now other than when visiting my dad and he has the Steelers on.

The flag may mean a lot more than "military", I absolutely agree. I'm sure that you would also agree that the flag means a lot more to the military. When you have personally flown the same flag and carried it from a number of locations in combat zones to the next, it is more than a flag.

Reactions: Sullivan
Do you also know no one who has a major problem with the NFL playing the black national anthem or donating millions of dollars to a Marxist group dedicated to destroying our nation? If so, you are correct that you surround yourself with “different people.” Those people are the uninformed.
Why is it that someone with a different opinion than yourself must be “uninformed”? You really believe everything is so cut and dried that those that have the same information as yourself can’t come to a different view on complex issues? It’s part of the problem with our nation today, where people think that those with different political views must be idiots or don’t understand what’s really happening.

Of course I had no problem with them playing Lift Every Voice and Sing, just as I also have no problem with them also playing America the Beautiful before the Super Bowl.

As far as the BLM movement, I do know some that have issues with certain aspects of the organization itself, but not really any with the general concept and the hope to make our country a better place for all. To attach a label like that it’s a “Marxist group” completely misses the point, and seems shortsighted to me to completely discredit a movement with a scary word like “Marxist”. The BLM movement to me is about change, equality, acceptance, etc, so its sad that all you can see in it is “Marxist”.

so....this board tries to enforce (or tried) a strict no politics policy. Obviously, the board gurus want to keep the most number of people happy to drive clicks and ad revenue. Makes complete sense. Nobody seems to have a problem with that policy. I haven't seen anyone complain to Tom that he is stifling free speech or whatever.

yet, when people suggest that the NFL or NBA do the same, they are told that they are racist.

Crazy dayz.

Why is it that someone with a different opinion than yourself must be “uninformed”? You really believe everything is so cut and dried that those that have the same information as yourself can’t come to a different view on complex issues? It’s part of the problem with our nation today, where people think that those with different political views must be idiots or don’t understand what’s really happening.

Of course I had no problem with them playing Lift Every Voice and Sing, just as I also have no problem with them also playing America the Beautiful before the Super Bowl.

As far as the BLM movement, I do know some that have issues with certain aspects of the organization itself, but not really any with the general concept and the hope to make our country a better place for all. To attach a label like that it’s a “Marxist group” completely misses the point, and seems shortsighted to me to completely discredit a movement with a scary word like “Marxist”. The BLM movement to me is about change, equality, acceptance, etc, so its sad that all you can see in it is “Marxist”.
BLM founders themselves said that they were trained Marxists. Do you not believe them? It appears that they, themselves attached this "scary word" which may or may not have been responsible for millions upon millions of murdered souls. You might have to look that up to continue to claim that you're informed.

BLM founders themselves said that they were trained Marxists. Do you not believe them? It appears that they, themselves attached this "scary word" which may or may not have been responsible for millions upon millions of murdered souls. You might have to look that up to continue to claim that you're informed.

Politifact’s quick summary of the issue...

IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT

Black Lives Matter was founded by community organizers. One of the three co-founders said in 2015 that she and another co-founder “are trained Marxists.”

Black Lives Matter has grown into a national anti-racism movement broadly supported by Americans, few of whom would identify themselves as Marxist.

Reading that everyone that approve of the BLM movement believes in Marxism is like reading that everyone who is proud to be a Penn Stater and still supports our school must have been ok with child molestation. Someone saying in an interview that they are a trained Marxist doesn’t an entire organization “Marxist” (and where exactly does one go for their training?).

I think that article said it well when it said...

"I am fairly convinced these are mostly attempts to smear anti-racist activists. I think in some media, ‘Marxist’ is dog-whistle for something horrible, like ‘Nazi’, and thus enables to delegitimize/dehumanize them," Miriyam Aouragh, a lecturer at the London-based Westminster School of Media

Last edited:
Politifact’s quick summary of the issue...

IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT

Black Lives Matter was founded by community organizers. One of the three co-founders said in 2015 that she and another co-founder “are trained Marxists.”

Black Lives Matter has grown into a national anti-racism movement broadly supported by Americans, few of whom would identify themselves as Marxist.

Reading that everyone that approve of the BLM movement believes in Marxism is like reading that everyone who is proud to be a Penn Stater and still supports our school must have been ok with child molestation. Someone saying in an interview that they are a trained Marxist doesn’t an entire organization “Marxist” (and where exactly does one go for their training?).
What you are seeing is similar to how the military trained it's mid to upper level officers about how terrorist organizations work.

There is a hardcore group of violent terrorists that conduct most terrorist operations. This is similar to and uses many of the same exact tactics that we have witnessed ANTIFA using in now over 140 US cities.

There is a larger group of people who actively support the terrorist operations by providing opportunity and cover for the violence under what is pushed as legitimate political or social anti-establishment protest. They are a vehicle to gaining the hearts and minds of the general population and delegitimatizing and undermining the legitimate government power. They are a source of extracting material and financial support from sympathizers. This is similar to what you see in BLM. Mostly everywhere that they have marched is at some point looted and burned by the hardcore violent group. They provide what is deemed as legitimate cover with "peaceful protests" that frequently and predictably turn violent. They wage psychological warfare to undermine police and other legitimate power to include the President. They also collect millions in donations from synthesizers among our public and from our adversaries throughout the world.

Lastly there are sympathizers within the population. These are the people that won't march, won't commit violence, but openly support the "legitimate protest" group because they have been convinced that their cause is valid. This group is significantly larger and enables the legitimate protest group to operate by putting political pressure on government officials to support or entertain the protestors causes. Without this group the legitimate protestors cannot provide the opportunity and cover for the violent terrorists. They may also contribute financially to the legitimate protest group effectively helping to crowd source the inevitable violence. This is you and many millions of Americans and the NFL, NBA, etc. Pawns of the other two groups.

Last edited:
Not for nothing but doesn't it seem like a lot of ratings are down?
Stanley Cup Final between Stars and Lightning is lowest-rated Cup series in more than a decade
Heck, the Game 6 clincher for the Cup on Monday had lower ratings than the 12AM SportsCenter broadcast. I didn't see much of the playoffs after the Flyers were eliminated but were these guys kneeling before the games? Why were the numbers so low, no northeast teams?

The 2020 DNC Convention had much lower ratings than the 2016 DNC Convention and the 2020 RNC convention was even lower than the DNC.
The first Presidential debate the other night was 13% lower than the first debate in 2016.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Not for nothing but doesn't it seem like a lot of ratings are down?
Stanley Cup Final between Stars and Lightning is lowest-rated Cup series in more than a decade
Heck, the Game 6 clincher for the Cup on Monday had lower ratings than the 12AM SportsCenter broadcast. I didn't see much of the playoffs after the Flyers were eliminated but were these guys kneeling before the games? Why were the numbers so low, no northeast teams?

The 2020 DNC Convention had much lower ratings than the 2016 DNC Convention and the 2020 RNC convention was even lower than the DNC.
The first Presidential debate the other night was 13% lower than the first debate in 2016.
Yes they are....people have options in 2020 and a ton of people are watching Netflix, Apple TV, Prime, YouTube.....it goes on and on. I have no doubt some people tuned out the NFL due to the players standing up for social justice in a totally non-violent way.....but that isn't going to make the NFL fold or anything like it.

Game 6 of the NHL was going head to head with Monday Night Football (and a great game, at that). Usually, NHL and NBA are just competing with regular season MLB games, but the sports calendar is completely filled right now. Great for sports fans, but not great for TV ratings of individual games when trying to make apples to apples comparisons.

I’m sure something like The Masters will also see huge drops next month, as they usually aren’t going head to head with football.

Don't want a political shouting match, but was just thinking if I am an NFL owner if those tv ratings numbers hold they are in for a world of hurt. If you were an NFL owner what would you do at some point if these rating numbers hold? Just curious to hear how people would attempt to increase numbers as some ratings numbers were down 15 to almost 30%...
I didn't know the season started. Oh well, I wouldn't watch anyway. I'll just wait for The SEC,ACC,Big 12, and the BIG. Go Lions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT