ADVERTISEMENT

NFL tv ratings took a massive hit... what do you do if you are owners to try and increase ratings?

I think we should have equal treatment. So all of the players should get a contract = to Pat Mahomes! Wait. I think all of us should get contracts like that. Then we can all claim equality!!!!
I'm every bit the equal and more of PM in areas outside of fussball. I DEMAND ... yes... DEMAND to be paid whatever the F they are paying him! WLM!

College ratings also took a hit this weekend. Bet ratings for football šŸˆ increase as season progresses.
People don't even know a CFB season started. They won't know a damned thing til november. And then even less than they already know.

sorry... Oct 24th is the joke of the century. The elitist pSSY presidents realize fussball does them no good. They tolerate it for the $$, but there will be no money this year, just the fussball they despise (grown men kicking ass and getting paid for it.. that kinda thing). They are betting on covid... praying for covid... anything that prevents fussball. That way they can go back to their p$$y elitist homes and sippy tea and chablis and extol the virtues of cntfest.

Give anything for a long piece of lumber and lots of tar and fire. Run every last one of them outta this country.

Ok mister "I haven't watched the NFL since 1993" yet comment on how bad the Giants OL is.
I do watch Barkley, but I donā€™t much care about the rest of the NFL. And up until Barkley, I only watched the Super Bowl every year. Iā€™m not a follower of the nfl.

Last edited:
Canā€™t be, you must have changed the channel for another reason....posters on here will you that youā€™re lying. Theyā€™ll never admit people actually turn games off because of politics.
Well, part of it is the reminder that Tebow was forced to take a Bible reference off his šŸ‘Ÿ šŸ‘Ÿ!

Reactions: JustinTyme
Well, part of it is the reminder that Tebow was forced to take a Bible reference off his šŸ‘Ÿ šŸ‘Ÿ!
And letā€™s not forget Bosworth was forced to take off a shirt that said National Communists Against Athletes. Iā€™ll also bet if a player wore a MAGA shirt or Trump shirt, heā€™d be force to take it off.

Reactions: JustinTyme
Professional sports leagues have strongly overestimated their value to the general public. They assumed that the publicā€™s appetite was so voracious that they would accept whatever sh!t they were shoveling. The NBA and NFL ratings tell the tale. Get woke go broke...
Feel awful for how ā€œbrokeā€ things are heading for the NFL...

ā€œIn fact, season-to-date, the top 15 shows on television have all been NFL games. This is great news for the league as it continues to hammer out its new media deals with the likes of Fox, Disney DIS -1.1%, CBS VIAC -3.3% and NBC. The NFLā€™s national (evenly shared) media deals are expected to roughly double to $15 billion annually from $7.5 billionā€”a big reason why team valuations rose 7% over the past year.ā€œ

So you're PRO - "What do we want? Dead Cops? When do we want it? Now?" I assume?

So you're PRO - "What do we want? Dead Cops? When do we want it? Now?" I assume?
If youā€™re talking to me, thatā€™s a bad assumption. Though itā€™s unfortunately not a surprising one in a time when so many seem to feel that you either need to be at one extreme or the other.

I just find it funny that Clay Travis and the right-wing media (and board members) were shoveling dirt on the NFLā€™s grave in post after post just a few weeks ago, yet it seems like a couple of people still watch the NFL.

#getwokegodoubleyourtvcontract

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Don't want a political shouting match, but was just thinking if I am an NFL owner if those tv ratings numbers hold they are in for a world of hurt. If you were an NFL owner what would you do at some point if these rating numbers hold? Just curious to hear how people would attempt to increase numbers as some ratings numbers were down 15 to almost 30%...

I think your looking in the wrong area for reasons why the TV ratings are down for the NFL. It's a pandemic year and most industries are down from previous years. Have you seen how much airline travel is down? Do you think if restaurants had no restrictions that they would be producing record sales? It does not feel like a normal football season and the enthusiasm levels are affecting the total amount of eyeballs on TV sets watching most any sporting event for a while.

I think your looking in the wrong area for reasons why the TV ratings are down for the NFL. It's a pandemic year and most industries are down from previous years. Have you seen how much airline travel is down? Do you think if restaurants had no restrictions that they would be producing record sales? It does not feel like a normal football season and the enthusiasm levels are affecting the total amount of eyeballs on TV sets watching most any sporting event for a while.
The failure of the NFL to fail is most upsetting to a small but vocal segment of society.

Political shouting match? Who knows why they were down, assuming that info is correct. You really think the numbers went down THAT much because some players chose to do something as simple as kneeling during the National Anthem, which there is no reason to play before games? LOL
Yes.
It sure affects me. I got the point, enough already.
ps: do you believe that kids dropping out of school in large numbers should be attractive to hire. I donā€™t.

If youā€™re talking to me, thatā€™s a bad assumption. Though itā€™s unfortunately not a surprising one in a time when so many seem to feel that you either need to be at one extreme or the other.

I just find it funny that Clay Travis and the right-wing media (and board members) were shoveling dirt on the NFLā€™s grave in post after post just a few weeks ago, yet it seems like a couple of people still watch the NFL.

#lookatmeimgonnaboycotttheNFL

Just STFU and play f*cking football. It isnā€™t hard. Idiots.
They do ā€œshut up.ā€ They arenā€™t making political speeches during games. People get offended by something as silly as kneeling during the national anthem. It has zero impact on the game itself.

Me, I think it is completely idiotic to stop watching sports because some people kneel at the start of the National Anthem. Totally idiotic and closed-minded. Can't imagine what other things people stop doing for some completely inconsequential reason.
Not saying that is the case with you. There are valid reasons to ratchet-down sports viewing - but kneeling players is not one of them.
Iā€™m so sorry you are upset about other peopleā€™s feelz.

They do ā€œshut up.ā€ They arenā€™t making political speeches during games. People get offended by something as silly as kneeling during the national anthem. It has zero impact on the game itself.
I served in multiple combat zones and it does offend me. It is their right to do that but it still offends me and that's my right. I do question people pushing certain agendas with the names of criminals (such as on their helmets), particularly while many minority neighborhoods in cities that get behind the agenda are looted and burned.

I'd love for these players and owners to want to make a difference to those people who lost everything in the 140 US cities that have had riots, to those who have to clean up after the temper tantrums that the athletes and celebrities fuel from a safe distance with tweets and public gestures. Maybe the players can open businesses to serve these minority communities that had their businesses looted or burned where many of the businesses won't come back? Maybe they can donate half of their salaries to rebuild these neighborhoods? There are a number of constructive ways to help people.

I can't get behind efforts to get people angry and destroy property or lives. You would think that social justice efforts should build minority neighborhoods, lives, and opportunities as opposed to burning them down. And not personally doing the burning down certainly doesn't absolve one from responsibility by knowingly engaging in efforts that time and time again have lead to burning it down. If I know that nearly every time that X occurs that Y happens shortly after, then have I not effectively contributed to Y every time I chose to do X?

Think of how much more they could get and how much higher their ratings would be if they didnā€™t have all this garbage going on. We just will never know.

Feel awful for how ā€œbrokeā€ things are heading for the NFL...

ā€œIn fact, season-to-date, the top 15 shows on television have all been NFL games. This is great news for the league as it continues to hammer out its new media deals with the likes of Fox, Disney DIS -1.1%, CBS VIAC -3.3% and NBC. The NFLā€™s national (evenly shared) media deals are expected to roughly double to $15 billion annually from $7.5 billionā€”a big reason why team valuations rose 7% over the past year.ā€œ
Of course theyā€™re the top shows, everything else is in reruns since no one is filming anything right now. The NFL is the worldā€™s tallest midget right now.

Think of how much more they could get and how much higher their ratings would be if they didnā€™t have all this garbage going on. We just will never know.

We probably will never, ever know.

I served in multiple combat zones and it does offend me. It is their right to do that but it still offends me and that's my right. I do question people pushing certain agendas with the names of criminals (such as on their helmets), particularly while many minority neighborhoods in cities that get behind the agenda are looted and burned.

I'd love for these players and owners to want to make a difference to those people who lost everything in the 140 US cities that have had riots, to those who have to clean up after the temper tantrums that the athletes and celebrities fuel from a safe distance with tweets and public gestures. Maybe the players can open businesses to serve these minority communities that had their businesses looted or burned where many of the businesses won't come back? Maybe they can donate half of their salaries to rebuild these neighborhoods? There are a number of constructive ways to help people.

I can't get behind efforts to get people angry and destroy property or lives. You would think that social justice efforts should build minority neighborhoods, lives, and opportunities as opposed to burning them down. And not personally doing the burning down certainly doesn't absolve one from responsibility by knowingly engaging in efforts that time and time again have lead to burning it down. If I know that nearly every time that X occurs that Y happens shortly after, then have I not effectively contributed to Y every time I chose to do X?
I served as well and a peaceful protest is EXACTLY what they are doing and yet you compare it to criminals breaking the law in the cities. The players aren't doing that. They never once promoted that either. I lived in NOLA for 2 decades and saw players visiting hospitals. When my oldest was sick at 6 months old Marques Colston came into our hospital room as and talked to us for a bit. I've seen Brees and other players doing various things to promote wellness in the cities. Those things don't get as much coverage nationally as people that riot. Just like the peaceful protests that occur don't get coverage, because the news media is RATINGS driven. Riots = ratings. People sitting in or marching peacefully do not. Players doing good things is on local news, rarely on the national level. I have linked quotes on this site of Wade and Lebron talking about inner city shootings...in fact they brought it up to the world on the ESPY's a few yeas back. You can be for social justice and against criminal activity...somehow some people think it HAS to be one or the other. It's a narrow minded viewpoint and is forced down peoples throats by some of the talking puppets promoting their agenda.

Taking a knee is probably the MOST peaceful protest ever, but it somehow offends some people. I say BS, people just want to gripe about something. The purpose of defending the democracy is protecting the rights of those that do peacefully protest.

Last edited:
I served as well and a peaceful protest is EXACTLY what they are doing and yet you compare it to criminals breaking the law in the cities. The players aren't doing that. They never once promoted that either. I lived in NOLA for 2 decades and saw players visiting hospitals. When my oldest was sick at 6 months old Marques Colston came into our hospital room as and talked to us for a bit. I've seen Brees and other players doing various things to promote wellness in the cities. Those things don't get as much coverage nationally as people that riot. Just like the peaceful protests that occur don't get coverage, because the news media is RATINGS driven. Riots = ratings. People sitting in or marching peacefully do not. Players doing good things is on local news, rarely on the national level. I have linked quotes on this site of Wade and Lebron talking about inner city shootings...in fact they brought it up to the world on the ESPY's a few yeas back. You can be for social justice and against criminal activity...somehow some people think it HAS to be one or the other. It's a narrow minded viewpoint and is forced down peoples throats by some of the talking puppets promoting their agenda.

Taking a knee is probably the MOST peaceful protest ever, but it somehow offends some people. I say BS, people just want to gripe about something. The purpose of defending the democracy is protecting the rights of those that do peacefully protest.
I sure as heck hope that you aren't denying the violent riots that have been declared in over 140 cities and totaling billions of dollars in damages in many minority communities. Nor should we overlook the assaults on police and the resulting meteoric rise in murders in the cities where these riots are permitted.

NFL players that visit hospitals are great. That isn't the issue at hand. They almost in full solidarity are giving glory to criminals on their uniforms and in their post-game interviews. That is absolutely not being against criminal activity, it is glorifying it, memorializing it, making criminals martyrs. That in fact incites violence. That is my issue with them. And nary an honest man willing to actually look at the real causes of the problems in these communities. They have made themselves into political pawns who are strong and run fast.

I sure as heck hope that you aren't denying the violent riots that have been declared in over 140 cities and totaling billions of dollars in damages in many minority communities. Nor should we overlook the assaults on police and the resulting meteoric rise in murders in the cities where these riots are permitted.

NFL players that visit hospitals are great. That isn't the issue at hand. They almost in full solidarity are giving glory to criminals on their uniforms and in their post-game interviews. That is absolutely not being against criminal activity, it is glorifying it, memorializing it, making criminals martyrs. That in fact incites violence. That is my issue with them. And nary an honest man willing to actually look at the real causes of the problems in these communities. They have made themselves into political pawns who are strong and run fast.

Well considering you simply just made things up in your head about what I clearly stated....you're not rational enough to even consider discussing this with. Get triggered with someone else is my suggestion.

I love football and watch it every chance I get even if it is a boring game. I would like to see the ratings breakdown per network per announcing crew. There are some crews\announcers that I can't stand because they feel they have to fill every dead space with their opinion on this or that. Being an Eagles fan I enjoyed watching the Cowgirls game last weekend because who ever manages the fake crowd noise was actually drowning out what Buck and AIkmen had to say. Collingsworth is just down right unbearable with his constant questioning of almost every play\decision blah blah blah.

I am also about keeping politics out of football (sports in general) because people do use that as an escape. Reminds me of the scene in "Invincible" when Papale's dad makes some comments about how cites\neighborhoods get their minds or things(like stikes, layoffs, plant shutdowns) with sports and coming together and supporting their teams. If we want to here about politics then we can watch all the shitshow news channels if we choose. I choose to watch sports not politics on the weekends so stop forcing politics into sports or I will just stop watching all together.

Reactions: Yanks49
I love football and watch it every chance I get even if it is a boring game. I would like to see the ratings breakdown per network per announcing crew. There are some crews\announcers that I can't stand because they feel they have to fill every dead space with their opinion on this or that. Being an Eagles fan I enjoyed watching the Cowgirls game last weekend because who ever manages the fake crowd noise was actually drowning out what Buck and AIkmen had to say. Collingsworth is just down right unbearable with his constant questioning of almost every play\decision blah blah blah.

I am also about keeping politics out of football (sports in general) because people do use that as an escape. Reminds me of the scene in "Invincible" when Papale's dad makes some comments about how cites\neighborhoods get their minds or things(like stikes, layoffs, plant shutdowns) with sports and coming together and supporting their teams. If we want to here about politics then we can watch all the shitshow news channels if we choose. I choose to watch sports not politics on the weekends so stop forcing politics into sports or I will just stop watching all together.

The love/hate relationship we have with announcers is interesting. I like Aikman and Buck. The only thing that bothers me about Collingsworth is his "gratey" voice LOL. And while you don't like Collingsworth for his questioning every play its very similar to my dislike of Tony Romo telling us what he'd do on every play.
And with my B&W homer glasses on I still think Steve Jones and Jack Ham are terrific and would take them over doing a game...any game than any current radio or announcing team. That being said some of the radio broadcasters I've heard doing NFL games Sunday afternoon are much, much better than their TV peers.
Right now I think the worst are the Monday Night crew of Riddick, Greasy and Levy. Riddick needs to go back to doing studio analysis work (he was good). Greasy and Levy just need to go away.

Reactions: TheBigUglies
Weā€™ll find something out when they renegotiate the TV contracts, right? If they are doing so poorly and so many are tuning out, it will show up in the $ they can pull in from it, right?
No, because you canā€™t prove something that didnā€™t happen. Who knows how much they could have gotten without all the garbage?

The love/hate relationship we have with announcers is interesting. I like Aikman and Buck. The only thing that bothers me about Collingsworth is his "gratey" voice LOL. And while you don't like Collingsworth for his questioning every play its very similar to my dislike of Tony Romo telling us what he'd do on every play.
And with my B&W homer glasses on I still think Steve Jones and Jack Ham are terrific and would take them over doing a game...any game than any current radio or announcing team. That being said some of the radio broadcasters I've heard doing NFL games Sunday afternoon are much, much better than their TV peers.
Right now I think the worst are the Monday Night crew of Riddick, Greasy and Levy. Riddick needs to go back to doing studio analysis work (he was good). Greasy and Levy just need to go away.

Totally agree on Steve Jones and Jack Ham, and that radio announcers are better then the TV ones. I think TV tries to make announcers out of people that probably shouldn't be announcing, like Gruden when he tried it, the constant gushing over whomever made a good play was so scripted it was ridonculous.

Well considering you simply just made things up in your head about what I clearly stated....you're not rational enough to even consider discussing this with. Get triggered with someone else is my suggestion.
I'm certainly not rational enough to ignore violent riots in 140 cities, billions of dollars in property damages, destruction of businesses and homes, and steep increases in murders in mostly minority neighborhoods while pitching it as peaceful protests.
giphy.gif

I wish there was a way for there to be more than one broadcast of a game. It would be interesting to see what network people would choose to watch, or what announcers, etc. As it is, if you want to see Game X you have no choice but to watch the one and only broadcast of it.

I wish there was a way for there to be more than one broadcast of a game. It would be interesting to see what network people would choose to watch, or what announcers, etc. As it is, if you want to see Game X you have no choice but to watch the one and only broadcast of it.

I think MNF has at least one other broadcast you can watch during the game (or they did recently). But, be careful what you wish for - instead of color commentary and play by play, Kirk and Chris interviewed John Calipari and Tom Izzo and they talked about being Lions fans growing up.

I'm certainly not rational enough to ignore violent riots in 140 cities, billions of dollars in property damages, destruction of businesses and homes, and steep increases in murders in mostly minority neighborhoods while pitching it as peaceful protests.
giphy.gif

Just a reminder that LaNotta Lion is not a PSU alum, does not live in PA, and has no connection to PSU. He has studied fanatics though, and has posted in excess of 45,100 times on this message board. Oh, and he too goes all the way back to the Plotit days. LOL.

Just a reminder that LaNotta Lion is not a PSU alum, does not live in PA, and has no connection to PSU. He has studied fanatics though, and has posted in excess of 45,100 times on this message board. Oh, and he too goes all the way back to the Plotit days. LOL.

There are a lot of people that post here that are not PSU Alums or live in PA.

ADVERTISEMENT