ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Free Agency & Trades -- 2019

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Free agency starts on March 11th. In advance of this date, teams are making trades, releasing players, etc.

Please discuss all NFL transactions in this thread.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Not s trade or FA but it looks like Sean Lee to play 10 th season restructure contract

Sean Lee has decided he wants to play a 10th season, and he wants to play for the Cowboys. The Cowboys have decided they want the linebacker back, just not with a $7 million base salary and a $10.075 million cap hit his current contract calls for in the final year of his deal.

So the sides are working on a restructured contract for Lee, DavidMoore of the Dallas

Muchas gracias. A side benefit might be that Martellus(TE) is now interested in coming back and playing
with his brother for those stinkin, cheatin Pats. Dola is free too! #7
Could there be a hang up to the trade?? Bennett and Greggy don’t get along.,,,

e Patriots are planning to trade for defensive end Michael Bennett when the new league year begins, and things could get awkward with the Patriots’ new defensive coordinator, Greg Schiano.

Bennett previously played for Schiano in Tampa Bay, and Bennett made no secret that he didn’t enjoy that experience.

“I think he just wants to flex his power,” Bennett said in 2013. “He has small [man’s] syndrome. I still talk to guys who are there, and trust me, there’s not much respect for him in that locker room.”

Schiano and Bennett may be able to bury the hatchet in New England, as the Patriots have a good track record for keeping outside issues from becoming a distraction. But it could be tense when they first get together, as Bennett will soon be playing for a defensive coordinator he’s previously said he doesn’t respect.

Stay tuned!!!

Eagles now talking with AB

Interesting. Aside from a quick blurb, the update is really focused on the Raiders as AB’s destination. The Eagles have cleared out cap space for something. They may be interesting to AB, given Wentz and being a playoff team and potential contender.

Moral of the story - be a QB or get good at baseball.

Does anyone see the Steelers getting more than a third round pick for AB? I don’t. At most I see a first round pick swap. I really hope he ends up in Oakland so he can experience playing with a bad QB. At this point I almost don’t care what the Steelers get for him, I just want him gone. And then to fail miserably elsewhere. Mr. Big Douche.

Welp, the Steelers got just about what we thought they would for AB: 3rd and 5th round picks in what will go down as one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory.

Setting circumstances aside - and I know why the Steelers had to move on - their poor decisions and handling of this totally bit them.

They are going to have to revisit their contract and cap mgmt logic. The $21 million in dead money slams their remaining window with Ben shut, I fear.

Welp, the Steelers got just about what we thought they would for AB: 3rd and 5th round picks in what will go down as one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory.

Setting circumstances aside - and I know why the Steelers had to move on - their poor decisions and handling of this totally bit them.

They are going to have to revisit their contract and cap mgmt logic. The $21 million in dead money slams their remaining window with Ben shut, I fear.
How can you set set circumstances aside? That’s the reason for the poor return.

This is one intance with one huge knucklehead. They manage the cap well, this just happened to backfire on them. All teams have had cap casualties with dead money.

How can you set set circumstances aside? That’s the reason for the poor return.

This is one intance with one huge knucklehead. They manage the cap well, this just happened to backfire on them. All teams have had cap casualties with dead money.
Their contract and cap policy bit them with both Bell and AB. It happened in slightly different ways, but in both instances.

Read the Barnwell article. He lays it out well and points out some hypocrisy between those two players and Ben. I can understand how after several years of this, AB got frustrated and forced things. Most of us would have handled things differently, but his approach was one option available.

I think the Steelers and Raiders are both losers here.
The Steelers because of the dead money.
The Raiders paid the equivalent of around the 40th pick and guaranteed 30 million. But if AB puts up big numbers I’ll change my mind about Oakland.

Former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle Malik Jackson is expected to sign a three-year, $10 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, sources told ESPN on Monday. Jackson, who signed the richest contract in Jaguars history in 2016, was released by the team March 8 after his playing time decreased significantly following the loss of his starting job late in the 2018 season.

I saw Jason Peters signed a 1 yr deal with Philly as well.

Jason Peters will return for his 11th season with the Eagles after agreeing to new contract on Monday that will keep the franchise left tackle in Philadelphia in 2019.

Peters’ one-year deal is worth up to $10 million with $5.5 million guaranteed, according to Vincent Taylor, Peters’ agent. There had previously been a team option on Peters’ contract, so the new deal creates cap savings for the Eagles and ensures that Peters is back protecting Carson Wentz’s blindside this season.

Last edited:
I think the Steelers and Raiders are both losers here.
The Steelers because of the dead money.
The Raiders paid the equivalent of around the 40th pick and guaranteed 30 million. But if AB puts up big numbers I’ll change my mind about Oakland.
Agree....Brown wins. First question, how is this such a huge cap hit to the Steelers? Shouldn't they make it simple and apply the cap hit to whomever is paying the salary for that year? I am sure I am missing something but the Raiders tore up his contract and are paying for him moving forward.

Second, this creates a mess. Any player who thinks they are underpaid will simply destroy their relationship with their soon to be former team.

Veteran wide receiver DeSean Jackson says he is leaving Tampa Bay.

Jackson posted on social media today that he will no longer be with the Buccaneers.

“Tampa it was a great experience, but things didn’t work out,” Jackson wrote. “Looking forward to my next destination. Stay Tuned.”

That sounds like Jackson saying he has been released, although the Buccaneers have not made any announcement. It’s possible that he’s trying to force his way out, or that he’s aware of a trade being agreed upon.

The 32-year-old Jackson is still a big-time playmaker, averaging 18.9 yards per catch last season. He’ll have suitors if he does in fact hit free agency.

Former Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle Malik Jackson is expected to sign a three-year, $10 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, sources told ESPN on Monday. Jackson, who signed the richest contract in Jaguars history in 2016, was released by the team March 8 after his playing time decreased significantly following the loss of his starting job late in the 2018 season.

I saw Jason Peters signed a 1 yr deal with Philly as well.

Jason Peters will return for his 11th season with the Eagles after agreeing to new contract on Monday that will keep the franchise left tackle in Philadelphia in 2019.

Peters’ one-year deal is worth up to $10 million with $5.5 million guaranteed, according to Vincent Taylor, Peters’ agent. There had previously been a team option on Peters’ contract, so the new deal creates cap savings for the Eagles and ensures that Peters is back protecting Carson Wentz’s blindside this season.
Savings covers Malik Jackson's contract.

Should get DJax back on the cheap. Maybe a splash at LB or S/CB? Unlikely, because the reality is Wentz needs to get paid and rolling over $5-$10 million goes a long way to helping the team next year.

My guess is resign Hicks and add a cheap secondary player then draft 1. DT, 2. RB, 3.OT/WR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT