ADVERTISEMENT

NFL: Eagles Sign Matt McGloin***

just going to post.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/10/eagles-sign-quarterback-matt-mcgloin/

The Eagles have committed their future to quarterback Carson Wentz, but they’re rebuilding the rest of their depth chart at the position this offseason.

The team announced they had signed Matt McGloin to a one-year deal.

The former Raiders backup lost his chance to start a playoff game because of a shoulder injury, and the Raiders are apparently fine casting their lot with Connor Cook as Derek Carr’s backup.

McGloin started six games as a rookie in 2013, and was in position to replace Carr in the divisional round, but was only able to be active as a backup. In his place, Cook lost a 27-14 decision to the Texans.

The Eagles brought in Nick Foles and got rid of Chase Daniel, so they needed someone to backfill the roster.

Poor Matt.

Came info FA looking for a starting gig. Ends up signing a one-year deal to be the #3 QB on a team that doesn't carry 3 QBs on its roster.

I'd like to have seen him go to a team he could have a chance to be #1 QB. Philly has too much tied up in the kid to play anyone else.

Cleveland is probably one of the places that any contender will have a chance to play if he shows the skills. Are there other places that there might be an open competition for #1?

I like it. Hope he can collect NFL paychecks for a couple more years. Then I would like to see him get into coaching. Maybe he could return to State College one day?

This will be the 5th year in the National Football League for a guy who nobody thought would even start at the D1 college level. Also, he now qualifies for the NFL pension, so he's set for life.

What pisses me off, is that my Steelers are going to run Landry freaking Jones on the field yet again this year, when Ben once again gets hurt, and Matt is HEADS AND TAILS better than Jones.

Not sure what his other options were, but it seems like other than Cleveland and the Jets, there are not a lot of #1 QB openings.

No doubt, but I figured he could have gotten himself a #2 gig somewhere. He's not even guaranteed a roster spot at this point in Philly.

He will battle Foles for the #2 spot, with the loser likely going to the practice squad. The team needs 3 quarterbacks. It should make the preseason games more interesting.

He will battle Foles for the #2 spot, with the loser likely going to the practice squad. The team needs 3 quarterbacks. It should make the preseason games more interesting.
I doubt either of them have practice squad eligibility. They might keep both on the 53 while only 2 will be up on game day.

Matt could wind up as the backup. Foles is far more likely to get a gig with another team as a starter. If he plays well in pre-season and/or another teams has "starter" issues he is likely to go. Matt, on the other hand, would be a good backup to have for the Eagles.

This will be the 5th year in the National Football League for a guy who nobody thought would even start at the D1 college level. Also, he now qualifies for the NFL pension, so he's set for life.

What pisses me off, is that my Steelers are going to run Landry freaking Jones on the field yet again this year, when Ben once again gets hurt, and Matt is HEADS AND TAILS better than Jones.
Tomlin hates Penn Staters...one of the reasons why I hate the Steelers and I grew up in Johnstown where damn near everybody is a Steelers fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT