ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadium for Northwestern

diontechristmas

Sep 3, 2009

Northwestern announced plans for a new stadium, a complete replacement for Ryan Field.

It looks awesome, but will only hold 35k. Probably all they need, but doesn’t seem very fitting for the BIG.

spending a lot of money to lose to southern Illinois. Kind of our predicament, does money bring wins......we shall see.

Gotta give them credit for moving forward and investing. UH built a brand new stadium that seats 40,000. The seats are not as close together, so it is a very comfortable stadium with great sight lines. It also holds in the noise. It is a huge upgrade over their old stadium. Same with Baylor. They built a really top notch facility that seats 45,000. Again, the seats are not so close together, so the place looks a lot bigger than the attendance shows. Baylor stadium was built to hold the noise in. Both are really top notch facilities.

Reactions: NedFromYork

Northwestern announced plans for a new stadium, a complete replacement for Ryan Field.

It looks awesome, but will only hold 35k. Probably all they need, but doesn’t seem very fitting for the BIG.
I think that is the new way of thinking. Big tv is killing the in person experience. Rather than get crappy seats, watch at home. Or, make a stadium where there are no crappy seats and charger more.

guardians downsized their baseball stadium a few years ago and followed this path. Now, going to a game is a great experience.

I wish it stayed more in-line with the integrity of the original stadium (I’m a big fan of the the towers), but this is still very nice. Good for them.

Trim the Beav down to 90-95k. It’s all about enhancing fan experience.
Do you think selling 15,000 fewer tickets x 7 games x ticket price for seats eliminated + parking fees and concessions = at least $5 million lost revenue per season might be meaningful too?

You may have just eliminated a couple non-revenue varsity sports.

Do you think selling 15,000 fewer tickets x 7 games x ticket price for seats eliminated + parking fees and concessions = at least $5 million lost revenue per season might be meaningful too?
You assume every game sells out and every sell out is fully attended. You really think that’s the end of the financial exercise?

You assume every game sells out and every sell out is fully attended. You really think that’s the end of the financial exercise?
I factored that in. And yes - I do. Because football is the reason that PSU is able to field more varsity sports than big universities with smaller stadiums.

I factored that in. And yes - I do. Because football is the reason that PSU is able to field more varsity sports than big universities with smaller stadiums.
As the typical PSU fan "ages out" you are going to find less and less people actually attend PSU games. Over the last decade, you can actually see the aging of the fanbase. in the early 2000s you had quite a range. More recently, you see older folks and students. While kids enjoy going, they are much more likely to want to spend their money on mojitos in Cancun or canoeing than spending $1,000 on a PSU game weekend (tickets, parking, hotel, food, transportation).

The Cleveland Guardians did a huge study and realized that tickets are cheap for most games, but when the playoffs roll around, you can get 4x the price. In the end, supply and demand drives up the price. What the Guardians did is make normal games an "experience". For example, they took out seats and built in several patios where the beer flows and you can meet people during the game. Every seat is good. Every seat has great accessibility for anyone who is physically challenged. They've done a great job.

its all in the theory of elasticity.

Reactions: bison13

You may have just eliminated a couple non-revenue varsity sports.
Raise prices. Create more demand by better controlling supply. It happens all the time. Improve the experience. Make the stadium multi event friendly year round and put bloody artificial turf down to help accommodate. Come on man.

Reactions: bison13
Raise prices. Create more demand by better controlling supply. It happens all the time. Improve the experience. Make the stadium multi event friendly year round and put bloody artificial turf down to help accommodate. Come on man.
I don’t know. Pricing people out doesn’t seem more accommodating to fans.

I hear you and others. I’m not sure I buy the declining fan base. Th university produces a LOT of alumni each year. Win and it will full the stadium.

There are a lot of sports at PSU that only exist due to how much $$$ the football team makes.

Reactions: psu00
Also not sure that a smaller, quieter, more comfortable stadium that is more accommodating to the elderly provides as good of a loud, home field advantage, even if that sounds harsh.

Reactions: diontechristmas
Also not sure that a smaller, quieter, more comfortable stadium that is more accommodating to the elderly provides as good of a loud, home field advantage, even if that sounds harsh.
I agree, what makes Beaver stadium unique is its sheer size and the numbers of humans PSU can pack in for big games. I’m all for making enhancements for convenience, especially with bathrooms and concessions, but I hope PSU keeps true to what Beaver Stadium is.

Reactions: mcpat and psu00
Gotta give them credit for moving forward and investing. UH built a brand new stadium that seats 40,000. The seats are not as close together, so it is a very comfortable stadium with great sight lines. It also holds in the noise. It is a huge upgrade over their old stadium. Same with Baylor. They built a really top notch facility that seats 45,000. Again, the seats are not so close together, so the place looks a lot bigger than the attendance shows. Baylor stadium was built to hold the noise in. Both are really top notch facilities.
McClane Stadium at Baylor has won numerous design and engineering awards. Its a great place to watch a game and the 3rd level has partial shade from an overhang. I'll be there Saturday to watch the OK State game as my daughter hopes to be a Bear in 2023.

All of it privately funded.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I agree, what makes Beaver stadium unique is its sheer size and the numbers of humans PSU can pack in for big games. I’m all for making enhancements for convenience, especially with bathrooms and concessions, but I hope PSU keeps true to what Beaver Stadium is.
What the Beav needs is new bathrooms, elevators/escalators for ADA folks in all four corners of stadium, easily accessible seating for ADA folks, accessible concessions on all levels, better internet connectivity in/around the stadium, and a larger press box. If that means lessening the capacity so be it. I wonder if like Northwestern, there are some deep pocketed private donors willing to help pay?

Have to consider recruiting too.

1) ABC University’s stadium is super comfortable. They don’t play loud music and folks can sit and enjoy the product on the field. It’s a great fan experience for those that like to just sit and watch football.

2). XYZ University’s stadium is loud. Fans are on their feet yelling and screaming all game. It’s a great fan experience for those that want to be part of the game and keep the opposing team from hearing the play call and snap count.

You’re a 17 year old high school football star. At which venue do you want to play your home games?

I think that is the new way of thinking. Big tv is killing the in person experience. Rather than get crappy seats, watch at home. Or, make a stadium where there are no crappy seats and charger more.

guardians downsized their baseball stadium a few years ago and followed this path. Now, going to a game is a great experience.
Who are the Guardians?

Have to consider recruiting too.

1) ABC University’s stadium is super comfortable. They don’t play loud music and folks can sit and enjoy the product on the field. It’s a great fan experience for those that like to just sit and watch football.

2). XYZ University’s stadium is loud. Fans are on their feet yelling and screaming all game. It’s a great fan experience for those that want to be part of the game and keep the opposing team from hearing the play call and snap count.

You’re a 17 year old high school football star. At which venue do you want to play your home games?
Truth be told, most want to play in front of their family.

Reactions: mcpat
What the Beav needs is new bathrooms, elevators/escalators for ADA folks in all four corners of stadium, easily accessible seating for ADA folks, accessible concessions on all levels, better internet connectivity in/around the stadium, and a larger press box. If that means lessening the capacity so be it. I wonder if like Northwestern, there are some deep pocketed private donors willing to help pay?
Any bathroom and concession improvements can easily be made without altering the stadium seating.

ADA seating is more of an issue that would likely require internal alterations unless they do something in the gaps in the 4 corners from the upper decks.

Totally agree on internet connectivity issues and on the need for escalators/ elevators for those who have mobility issues. I can’t believe that hasn’t been addressed. I thought Heinz field (or whatever they call it now) had a nice set up with the escalators.

This sounds just like the Beav:

"publicly accessible greenspaces for residents to enjoy year-round community activities"

"and will set a new standard for accessibility and inclusivity, making it among the most accessible stadiums in the country"

Who are the Guardians?
QIFBEE7755H7VPYZDWSTN5DS5A.jpg

No you didn’t. You subtracted the new stadium size somebody posted from the current stadium size and said that’s 100% lost revenue. That’s a bit myopic

No you didn’t. You subtracted the new stadium size somebody posted from the current stadium size and said that’s 100% lost revenue. That’s a bit myopic
So I’ve been to both home games this year and know that even when 90.000 are in attendance, they sell 106,000 tickets. You get that from the attendance announcement.

Instead of factoring in the average ticket price, I considered the price of the seats that would be eliminated, thinking it would the cheap seats.

Then I considered that some of the games would lose 5,000ish parked vehicles and some would not (cause not everyone actually attends all the games) and only the single game parking revenue would be lost.

Then I considered some games would lose 15,000 potential concession sales and some would not.

While it was a rough and rounded estimate, I didn’t just “subtracted what somebody posted…”

Last edited:
15,000 fewer sold tickets x 7.5 home games per year x $30 per ticket eliminated = $3.4 million.

5000 fewer vehicles x 7.5 games per year x 1/2 games impacted x $40 (half pre-pay $20 and half do not and have to pay $60) = $750k.

15,000 fewer people per game x 7.5 games x half the games impacted x half pay $20 in concessions = $1.1 million

Thats my $5 million ($5.25 actually).

Admittedly, it is rough, but I put a little thought into it, thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: fkkkjm and hlstone
Bring back the troughs.
Eliminate all the chairback seats, cushion seats, turn the suites into bleachers.
Reduce the seat area by two inches. If you need more you pay extra.
Fire the in stadium announcer.
Cut the cord to the speakers.

to bad there was something charming, appropriate about that stadium on Northwestern campus, sort of fit with what kind of school Northwestern is relative to football.....

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT