ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadium announcer…

MacNit07

Aug 5, 2017
…was so, so bad. I was never a fan of the old in-stadium announcer - kind of got overly predictable, over-the-top, and on your nerves. But the new guy, God bless his soul, was far worse.

I hate to admit it but probably the worst that I have ever experienced. Must be a family member hire.

Oh boy. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this. I was not at the game, but was curious of how this turned out.

LOL - In the second half I noticed that several times he called out 4th down when it was actually 3rd down.

I also didn't like that he never called the names of WVU players involved in plays. If WVU ran the ball, he only called the name of the PSU tackler.

LOL - In the second half I noticed that several times he called out 4th down when it was actually 3rd down.

I also didn't like that he never called the names of WVU players involved in plays. If WVU ran the ball, he only called the name of the PSU tackler.
I came to the conclusion that when he said 3rd down, it sounded exactly like 4th down. I had a double take at the scoreboard multiple times.

And yes, Dean Devore was better. Not sure what the plan was there. When a PSU guy made a play, he just announced his name and said nothing else. No WV names either.

My usual old man complaints too. Think it shows lack of sportsmanship to play music right up to the snap.

…was so, so bad. I was never a fan of the old in-stadium announcer - kind of got overly predictable, over-the-top, and on your nerves. But the new guy, God bless his soul, was far worse.

I hate to admit it but probably the worst that I have ever experienced. Must be a family member hire.
The announcer should welcome the fans at the start of the game, give scores of other games at halftime, and bid the fans a safe trip home at the end of the game. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. Also, no music. It's a football game, not a concert.

The midfield helmet stripe in the stands looked pretty cool on TV. Has that been done before? I don't remember.

Reactions: NC2017
Hey we're new to this football thing. There will always be growing pains and bugs to be worked out. Let's all learn together.
This tells me that these PA announcer guys did not "practice" at all. That's inexcusable to be that poorly prepared in such an environment when people are relying on that information to be provided. Whatever you thought of Dean DeVore, he was usually consistent. I'm usually a guy that has sympathy for someone new, but it disappeared after the second FG miss... I'm not comparing a FG kicker to an announcer but there is something to be said for preparation in everything you do.

Reactions: MacNit07
The scoreboard was wrong a lot last night. Wrong down and yards to go constantly but my favorite was the 12 point TD that took us from 14-7 to 26-7.
Yeah, at one point they had 6 extra points for us, maybe counting the missed field goals. And I noticed they spelled Saunders name as "Caden", not Kaden. I didn't see any scores of other games but was told they were there in one corner of the scoreboard or the scrolling piece, but they were extremely small

Reactions: JDale83
I heard that the new announcer had a family emergency and missed the game, so someone else filled in for him last second. If true, that might be why it was subpar.

Funny

He has done some of the pa stuff for years… you must not listen

Have not viewed any comments and am curious, Tom Bradley was the honorary captain. What kind of response did he get? They should have given him a standing O for how he tried to keep the program together.

Have not viewed any comments and am curious, Tom Bradley was the honorary captain. What kind of response did he get? They should have given him a standing O for how he tried to keep the program together.
I was told he wasn’t even announced during the coin toss, so unless you knew prior that he was doing the toss, you would have never known it.

I heard that the new announcer had a family emergency and missed the game, so someone else filled in for him last second. If true, that might be why it was subpar.
The plan was for 2 announcers this season, one for play by play and one for announcements such as pregame, halftime, etc. The play by play guy was sick and had to miss the game, so the announcement guy had to do the game. I watched on TV but from what I could make out he wasn't very good. I did like that he didn't annoyingly drag out words like the last announcer but he said little aside from a player's name and the down. I don't remember who called games in the late 90s but I liked him. I remember him being informative without being overly obnoxious and he had a good stadium voice which isn't controllable but is very important. Devore had a bad voice. I do like when the announcers state both player name and number too as it helps to reinforce the numbers since we don't have names on the jerseys.

I don't remember who called games in the late 90s but I liked him. I remember him being informative without being overly obnoxious and he had a good stadium voice which isn't controllable but is very important. Devore had a bad voice. I do like when the announcers state both player name and number too as it helps to reinforce the numbers since we don't have names on the jerseys.
Wasn't it Steve Jones? I thought he was filling that role before he took over for Fran Fisher (though I could be wrong).

edit - it was Steve...he did it from 91 thru 99.

Last edited:

The plan was for 2 announcers this season, one for play by play and one for announcements such as pregame, halftime, etc. The play by play guy was sick and had to miss the game, so the announcement guy had to do the game. I watched on TV but from what I could make out he wasn't very good. I did like that he didn't annoyingly drag out words like the last announcer but he said little aside from a player's name and the down. I don't remember who called games in the late 90s but I liked him. I remember him being informative without being overly obnoxious and he had a good stadium voice which isn't controllable but is very important. Devore had a bad voice. I do like when the announcers state both player name and number too as it helps to reinforce the numbers since we don't have names on the jerseys.
Thanks guys,
This is the information I also heard rumored, the fellow was ill.

Reactions: republion

He just plain SUCKED! Got to be someone better, just put a new student in there and it would have been better.

I wasn’t a fan of the old guy’s cheerleading style and almost constant presence, so I thought it was an improvement. 🤷‍♂️

I agree Steve Jones was good.

Sometimes less is more. I agree with the concept of changing out announcers for play by play and promos. #1 it clues us in whether we need to hang on every word and #2 it gives the persons voice a break. I've announced 4 hour swim meets when our kids were little and a respite is definitely needed.

At a high school game on Friday evening we experienced a preview of what appeared to have happened at State the next evening. Announcer guy was all fouled up....getting numbers and names wrong. The scoreboard was also perpetually wrong...so he announced wrong down and distance based on that. He also announced no conversion on a 4th down. Said "It's not even close" while the officials measured. Then even AFTER they signaled first down for the home team who maintained possession, he talked about a turnover on downs while his team took the snap on first and goal.

Then there were two or three weird calls by the refs that he tried to figure out (incorrectly)...eventually he said "I'm just going to be quiet." AMEN!

A 5A PA high school game is one thing...PSU is another. Hope #1 voice is ready to go!

As others mentioned, the main PA guy was sick so Joe Putnam from the Spikes and other PSU gigs had to fill in last minute. Joe was supposed to only do the timeout announcements but got pressed into double duty. If you’ve ever met Joe he’s one of the nicest, kindest people you will ever meet. Rooting for him and Rodney to knock the PA tandem out of the park.

Towards the end of the first quarter yesterday, they put the game stats on the scoreboard. First downs, passing yards, rushing yards. But it was the final stats from the WVU game. Showing 27 first downs, 325 passing yards, etc., as the Delaware game’s first quarter stats. And it was left up there for quite awhile. I don’t know what’s going on, but I hope they get better as the season goes on.

Towards the end of the first quarter yesterday, they put the game stats on the scoreboard. First downs, passing yards, rushing yards. But it was the final stats from the WVU game. Showing 27 first downs, 325 passing yards, etc., as the Delaware game’s first quarter stats. And it was left up there for quite awhile. I don’t know what’s going on, but I hope they get better as the season goes on.

They also put up a drive summary in the 1Q that showed we had a 9 play scoring drive with a total of 5 yards. Scoreboard accuracy is something we should be able to take for granted.

This tells me that these PA announcer guys did not "practice" at all. That's inexcusable to be that poorly prepared in such an environment when people are relying on that information to be provided. Whatever you thought of Dean DeVore, he was usually consistent. I'm usually a guy that has sympathy for someone new, but it disappeared after the second FG miss... I'm not comparing a FG kicker to an announcer but there is something to be said for preparation in everything you do.
Agreed. It isn't like TV. This announcer has spotters and producers. All he has to do is announce the players involved and give down and distance. Those are typically fed to him by spotters who are familiar with both teams. The trick is learning how to talk while listening. It isn't easy to do but people get good at it. Most of those instant analysis that the color commentator does are fed from a spotter and the truck who has the replay all queued up to show that camera angle. Not to take anything away from experienced former players like M-Rob and Blackledge but a lot has to be coordinated to make it come off. The stadium announcer can just shut up if they are unsure of the call because the spotters were late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT