ADVERTISEMENT

New rinkles in the offense today

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
We seemed to be able to get the ball into Hamler’s hands more often. We lined up 4 receivers to the left and threw a big bubble screen to Hamler who got some nice blocking from the others for a nice gain in the first half. I haven’t seen that play before. Then in the second half we used that formation again and Trace faked the pass and ran, but it was only a short gain. Maybe we outsmarted ourselves thinking Wisconsin would bite on the fake. Making the pass again might have been more effective.

Of course the fake punt worked. Good job of execution there.

Btw as good as Hamler is, he can’t make the play every time. I think he got it in a jet sweep once or twice but couldn’t turn it upfield. He looked a little gimpy a few times after taking some big hits.

Lastly it was good to see Sanders with the ball in his hands. The fumble aside, he had some great runs.

Shorter got a lot more playing time this week. So we had both Dotson and Shorter in the game at the same time -shades of things to come.

Stevens got the ball more but needs to pass. He seems to run as his first option but that only works if the defensive players have to worry about him passing or handing off to Sanders. Hopefully he will settle down when he gets more playing time next year and can become a total QB and not just a runner inserted for gimmick plays.

Speaking of running QBs, there were a few plays where Trace just took off as well at most for just short gains. He’s better when he’s looking downfield for a receiver. Maybe this will be more effective against Rutgers and Maryland.

The Jet Sweeps to Hamler were handcuffed going to the short side of the field.

Shorter was used a lot early, but disappeared in the second half.

Dotson looks like a stud. He's got the slightly bigger frame than KJ and looks great on the outside.

Rahne still needs to learn rhythm in play calling. 7 passes to Hamler very early and we never went back to it in the second half. Fell back into the Tommy Trap. Too many wasted plays. Next year is questionable with Tommy at the helm. At some point, he has to be a passer.

images
The Jet Sweeps to Hamler were handcuffed going to the short side of the field.

Shorter was used a lot early, but disappeared in the second half.

Dotson looks like a stud. He's got the slightly bigger frame than KJ and looks great on the outside.

Rahne still needs to learn rhythm in play calling. 7 passes to Hamler very early and we never went back to it in the second half. Fell back into the Tommy Trap. Too many wasted plays. Next year is questionable with Tommy at the helm. At some point, he has to be a passer.

We seemed to be able to get the ball into Hamler’s hands more often. We lined up 4 receivers to the left and threw a big bubble screen to Hamler who got some nice blocking from the others for a nice gain in the first half. I haven’t seen that play before. Then in the second half we used that formation again and Trace faked the pass and ran, but it was only a short gain. Maybe we outsmarted ourselves thinking Wisconsin would bite on the fake. Making the pass again might have been more effective.

Of course the fake punt worked. Good job of execution there.

Btw as good as Hamler is, he can’t make the play every time. I think he got it in a jet sweep once or twice but couldn’t turn it upfield. He looked a little gimpy a few times after taking some big hits.

Lastly it was good to see Sanders with the ball in his hands. The fumble aside, he had some great runs.

Shorter got a lot more playing time this week. So we had both Dotson and Shorter in the game at the same time -shades of things to come.

Stevens got the ball more but needs to pass. He seems to run as his first option but that only works if the defensive players have to worry about him passing or handing off to Sanders. Hopefully he will settle down when he gets more playing time next year and can become a total QB and not just a runner inserted for gimmick plays.

Speaking of running QBs, there were a few plays where Trace just took off as well at most for just short gains. He’s better when he’s looking downfield for a receiver. Maybe this will be more effective against Rutgers and Maryland.

I loved the quick passes. Wish they were called last week. Really opened things up in my opinion, and kept the pressure off Trace and the OL. Need more of that to keep the D honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT