ADVERTISEMENT

New NLWC member

psugrad85

Gold Member
May 7, 2003
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m told 2016 Olympic Silver (57kg) Rei Higuchi (JPN) is joining <a href="https://twitter.com/NittanyLionWC">@NittanyLionWC</a></p>&mdash; Willie Saylor (@WillieAtFLO) <a href="">March 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yep, there it is...
We like to sometimes think of our foreign counterparts as more advanced, mysterious, or unique, but they oftentimes feel the same way about the top level U.S. wrestlers and are looking for different techniques, partners, and training regimes to add to their arsenal.
This is a big win for the NLWC, and therefore Penn State Wrestling in general!

Yep, there it is...
We like to sometimes think of our foreign counterparts as more advanced, mysterious, or unique, but they oftentimes feel the same way about the top level U.S. wrestlers and are looking for different techniques, partners, and training regimes to add to their arsenal.
And they don't come just to wrestle, but to learn aspects of coaching. Who'd a thought that, considering many (none here, or at Flo apparently - see FRL188) say the PSU staff can't coach.

Yep, there it is...
At least it's just an athlete/coaching exchange program with Japan, and not a needle exchange program with the Russian countries.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m told 2016 Olympic Silver (57kg) Rei Higuchi (JPN) is joining <a href="https://twitter.com/NittanyLionWC">@NittanyLionWC</a></p>&mdash; Willie Saylor (@WillieAtFLO) <a href=" ">March 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Willie must also recruit for the NLWC...

Reactions: dropster45
Honestly, we should just let jammen do all of our recruiting. He brings all the stats and obsession with Cael, necessary, and only the people smart enough to read past his bias/delusion will be allowed to join. Perfect test, to be honest.
I don't see any reason to change Willie's role.

Reactions: diggerpup
What sort of impact does it make on our guys during the college season in this sort of instance when someone from overseas joins the NLWC? We are the only country that focuses on folkstyle so will guys like Higuchi benefit our guys best in their neutral offense/defense since mat wrestling is different between folk and free?

Not at all saying this addition is bad I'm just honestly curious how additions like these help our guys during the season? (Obviously it's beneficial in the offseason when many of our guys are switching over to free)

Yep, there it is...
The STARS, we're just like them! :)

Reactions: dropster45
What sort of impact does it make on our guys during the college season in this sort of instance when someone from overseas joins the NLWC? We are the only country that focuses on folkstyle so will guys like Higuchi benefit our guys best in their neutral offense/defense since mat wrestling is different between folk and free?

Not at all saying this addition is bad I'm just honestly curious how additions like these help our guys during the season? (Obviously it's beneficial in the offseason when many of our guys are switching over to free)
Our guys do work out with the NLWC, on their own time.

So do our shirts, grayshirts, and Indiana brothers.

Freestyle work helps a ton with fluidity, chain wrestling, etc.

...in case you forgot, or didn't know:
... one of our latest national champions- Vincenzo Joseph- was
coached by Sanshiro Abe, a Penn State 4X All-American...
...who came to Penn State under the auspices of former assistant coach
Hachiro Oishi, who was a National Champion in Japan...and an outstanding human being...

Last edited:
I remember this guy. Really exciting wrestler. Too many hosings to keep track of, but did he get somewhat hosed in the finals?

It was a freestyle beating Cenzo put on Freddy Stoker that made Cael go "ummm".

This is great for Nico, Suriano, Teasdale and hopefully RBY. Makes PSU a great destination if you aspire to be a world and Olympic champ. The US simply has to get more competitive at 57 kg at the international level.

Reactions: mn78psu83
This is great for Nico, Suriano, Teasdale and hopefully RBY. Makes PSU a great destination if you aspire to be a world and Olympic champ. The US simply has to get more competitive at 57 kg at the international level.
Seriously! Makes up for Cody Brewer's almost instantaneous flip, does it not:D

And they don't come just to wrestle, but to learn aspects of coaching. Who'd a thought that, considering many (none here, or at Flo apparently - see FRL188) say the PSU staff can't coach.
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but, considering he just turned 21 and knowing that he came over to work with the NLWC, is there any reason he would not be able to enroll and wrestle for PSU? I know it might be counterproductive to the freestyle training but was just curious.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but, considering he just turned 21 and knowing that he came over to work with the NLWC, is there any reason he would not be able to enroll and wrestle for PSU? I know it might be counterproductive to the freestyle training but was just curious.
He probably could.

But there's been a German freestyler, Stefan Kappeler, at the NLWC the past year. He is enrolled at PSU but did not join the varsity team. Stuck with the NLWC.

All depends upon his goals.

Reactions: rmg78
If Higuchi were to wrestle for the college team, the ensuing meltdown from some of other team's fans would be epic. Crazy thing is, if you look at the most recent weight class rumors, it sure does look like they are making room for someone.
Young fans in Yokohama reacting to Penn State's latest triumph:

200w.gif

Just a friendly tip - be careful googling "Japan Gif". There's some crazy ass stuff that pops up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT