ADVERTISEMENT

Neuralink

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Apparently, they passed their initial trials and are now seeking FDA approval. I am not sure why this isn't being talked about. Along with Musk's other game-changing companies like Tesla, The Boring Company and SpaceX could really change life as we know it. Here is a really cool video report that CNET did today to explain it. Amazing stuff, really (and scary).

Apparently, they passed their initial trials and are now seeking FDA approval. I am not sure why this isn't being talked about. Along with Musk's other game-changing companies like Tesla, The Boring Company and SpaceX could really change life as we know it. Here is a really cool video report that CNET did today to explain it. Amazing stuff, really (and scary).

I am not sure why people think Musk is a good guy, or that any of his technologies aren't actually buggy as hell. Modern day snake oil.

Last edited:
I am not sure why people think Musk is a good guy, or that any of his technologies aren't actually buggy as he'll. Modern day snake oil.
What? Tesla revolutionized the car industry. SpaceX has had a massive impact on space exploration. The Boring Company has the potential to revolutionize public transportation. Starlink has had a huge impact on the war in Ukraine.

I am not sure why people think Musk is a good guy, or that any of his technologies aren't actually buggy as he'll. Modern day snake oil.
yet for a while he was the left poster child for sustainability, even though the battery charge comes from fossil fuels - SMH. Now he has joined the ranks as a snake oil salesman like the majority of the politicians and is loathed by the left for his promotion of free speech that burn their ears - WTF.

What? Tesla revolutionized the car industry. SpaceX has had a massive impact on space exploration. The Boring Company has the potential to revolutionize public transportation. Starlink has had a huge impact on the war in Ukraine.
starlink will also provide the means for high speed internet to places that currently are not serviced. That's been a goal for quite a while

starlink will also provide the means for high speed internet to places that currently are not serviced. That's been a goal for quite a while
Right. In Ukraine, Starlink has disallowed the Russian army to take out communications centers. meanwhile, the Ukrainians have handed the Russians their lunch by disrupting their wire-based and cellular-based communications.

I don't know anything about Neuralink but how can you say Tesla & SpaceX have been buggy as hell?

I don't know anything about Neuralink but how can you say Tesla & SpaceX have been buggy as hell?
Tesla is a nice idea, but the reality not so much. There are open investigations regarding self-driving due to a number of crashes, and battery fires are becoming a real problem. Also research Tesla owners being locked out and basically extorted. Plus as someone mentioned, the battery mining process is a real issue. I honestly don't know much about SpaceX beyond it being "space tourism" for rich guys with small dicks, but if people want to be excited about it, then have at it. And the fact that he uses satellite technology to provide basic broadband to (nearly) 3rd world countries at a huge markup just doesn’t impress me. The guy is a weird, drug-addicted megalomaniac playing shell games with investor $, and his story will not end well. His own kids want nothing to do with him, which speaks volumes.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Tesla is a nice idea, but the reality not so much. There are open investigations regarding self-driving due to a number of crashes, and battery fires are becoming a real problem. Also research Tesla owners being locked out and basically extorted. Plus as someone mentioned, the battery mining process is a real issue. I honestly don't know much about SpaceX beyond it being "space tourism" for rich guys with small dicks, but if people want to be excited about it, then have at it. And the fact that he uses satellite technology to provide basic broadband to (nearly) 3rd world countries at a huge markup just doesn’t impress me. The guy is a weird, drug-addicted megalomaniac playing shell games with investor $, and his story will not end well. His own kids want nothing to do with him, which speaks volumes.
everyone is entitled to his/her/their opinion. But you should look a little further at spaceX. While I wouldn't say it has revolutionized commercial space, it has made launches of satellites - not just starlink and not just for the US -almost routine. SpaceX has been a huge success

I know dozens of people that own teslas and rave about them. All of them. Tesla was at least ten years ahead a few years ago but didn’t patent their work. They wanted to give it away for the good of mankind.

The overall battery mining problems are not teslas.

The guy is weird. That is ok. So was David Bowie and John Lennon.

At the end of his life, he may eclipse Jobs and Gates as being the most impactful person of our lifetime. He probably already has

Last edited:
I know dozens of people that open teslas and rave about them. All of them. Tesla was at least ten years ahead a few years ago but didn’t patent their work. They wanted to give it away for the good of mankind.

At the end of his life, he may eclipse Jobs and Gates as being the most impactful person of our lifetime. He probably already has
Agree.

But John Lennon was more than weird. He was a cruel, evil, and violent man.

Reactions: JR4PSU and Ski
FjaRztXXwAEBZ3a.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I know dozens of people that own teslas and rave about them. All of them. Tesla was at least ten years ahead a few years ago but didn’t patent their work. They wanted to give it away for the good of mankind.

I think he has already eclipsed Gates (the king of the unforgivable blue screen of death errors!) but Jobs is still the king. For both good and bad, Jobs popularized a device has become so essential that most cannot live without it.

I think he has already eclipsed Gates (the king of the unforgivable blue screen of death errors!) but Jobs is still the king. For both good and bad, Jobs popularized a device has become so essential that most cannot live without it.
I can disagree with that but Jobs is no longer with us. So let's look at where Musk is:

• Tesla. revolutionized electric vehicles. He didn't patent his discoveries so others can use them, which they have. It is hard to see EV's not being the majority of new car sales in five years.
  • SpaceX. The innovations of SpaceX make traveling to the moon easy, a recreational space travel reality and travel to Mars on the cusp of reality. Without SpaceX, we'd not even be talking about this. And, he has done this by far eclipsing Russia, USA, and China with unlimited budgets.
  • StarLink. high-speed internet for $110 per month which will soon be available anywhere on the planet. This may not mean much to us, but third-world countries can realistically become WWW capable, with all those benefits, soon. In Ukraine, Musk gave this to the Ukrainian army for free. While the Russians were getting their cellular-based comms destroyed, the Ukrainian army's comms is in the cloud and almost without threat.
  • The Boring Company. A way to dig tunnels quickly, economically, and at scale making infrastructure improvements a fraction of the costs previously. If he can get transportation to buy in, moving people at very high speeds worldwide, it could replace public transit as we know it.
  • Neuralink. They just got approval to move to FDA trial/approvals. The initial plan is to be able to implant chips into people's brains who have neuromuscular problems. This could make those with such problems physically able, or approach normal abilities. This releases them from a life sentence in today's society. Scarily, if this gets perfected, we are certainly looking at "the borg" or "six million dollar man" territory within ten years.
I love Steve Jobs. The mac, its GUI interface, and iPhone have truly revolutionized the link between humans and machines. But any one of the achievements, or potential achievements, Musk is working on could pale Jobs in comparison. Historically, fifty years from now, they would be saying "yeah, the iPhone was cool and all, but people are living on mars, traveling to Europe in tunnels at the speed of sounds, and carbon footprints are a fraction of what they were, and we can improve people's physical capabilities with computer implants!"

Last edited:
That dude is the most impactful human on the planet during out lifetimes. it is important to note that the initial thrust of this company is to help people who have lost the ability to control parts of their body, for whatever reason. Amazing hope for people suffering today and in the future.
Hope is a word not found in progressive dictionaries.

If I close my eyes and wear noise canceling head gear I will never have to know anything. What a life

The issues mentioned about Telsa are not huge. Musk knows the issues and will work them out... the self driving issue.... trouble with cold... or batteries.. People who have driven a Tesla are overwhelmed by them. They are blown away. The auto has been around since the 1885s and has been advancing over 100 years... He has made a version that has blown people away... Teslas are not perfect but they will be a major player in the future... Infrastructure issues need to be solved and catch up and electrical charging improvements...etc.. People will have to change their habits... as in ... When you come home...take 20 sec and plug your car in. Its not hard. People bitch about not being able to go 300 miles with a charge... How many times a week do most people travel 300 miles in a day... Maybe it is a car for driving around town and not long range driving. . The issues are not massive hurdles.... There are new batteries being developed as we speak... He will work out the problems and then develop a car for 30K and he will own the market.

The rest of his companies are off the chart... Boring Company, Starlink, SpaceX.... These companies are incredible in every aspect. No one is doing any of these things. These things rival Jobs every day of the week. Neurolink... holy shit.. if this could have application for someone with a disease like Parkinsons Disease... It would be life changing. Who the hell on the planet is doing things like this..... People who think any of these are over rated are out of touch with reality...

I wish he would work on Solar Panels.. they are inefficient at present. To be able to make solar panels which are more effecient and cheap... the ROI on solar is not good enough... Solar needs to be a plug and play with people being able to buy a new panel at Home Boy Depot and add to their system. If you have an Extra 300 dollars... go add a panel.... It could revolutionize energy. Add in changes to the power grid... I think Musk could solve the issue of expense and ROI to make it affordable.

Reactions: blmr31 and Obliviax
The issues mentioned about Telsa are not huge. Musk knows the issues and will work them out... the self driving issue.... trouble with cold... or batteries.. People who have driven a Tesla are overwhelmed by them. They are blown away. The auto has been around since the 1885s and has been advancing over 100 years... He has made a version that has blown people away... Teslas are not perfect but they will be a major player in the future... Infrastructure issues need to be solved and catch up and electrical charging improvements...etc.. People will have to change their habits... as in ... When you come home...take 20 sec and plug your car in. Its not hard. People bitch about not being able to go 300 miles with a charge... How many times a week do most people travel 300 miles in a day... Maybe it is a car for driving around town and not long range driving. . The issues are not massive hurdles.... There are new batteries being developed as we speak... He will work out the problems and then develop a car for 30K and he will own the market.

The rest of his companies are off the chart... Boring Company, Starlink, SpaceX.... These companies are incredible in every aspect. No one is doing any of these things. These things rival Jobs every day of the week. Neurolink... holy shit.. if this could have application for someone with a disease like Parkinsons Disease... It would be life changing. Who the hell on the planet is doing things like this..... People who think any of these are over rated are out of touch with reality...

I wish he would work on Solar Panels.. they are inefficient at present. To be able to make solar panels which are more effecient and cheap... the ROI on solar is not good enough... Solar needs to be a plug and play with people being able to buy a new panel at Home Boy Depot and add to their system. If you have an Extra 300 dollars... go add a panel.... It could revolutionize energy. Add in changes to the power grid... I think Musk could solve the issue of expense and ROI to make it affordable.
Agreed. When people complain about an EV I am reminded of the Einstein quote:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

EVs are just different. They are much worse at some things (cold temp, range) and much better at others (no emissions, smooth, acceleration, less moving parts). If you try to make an EV and ICE, you won't be happy. If you try to make an ICE an EV, you won't be happy.

Sailing vessels at sea can get access to starlink for weather updates, ocean currents etc.

Musk is one of the top innovators of my lifetime, if not number one. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Jeff Bezos are up there as well but Elon has crossed over into many different industries and been very successful.

Reactions: blmr31

I agree that overall Musk is amazing but I think there's an upper limit on how far he can go with the solar stuff just because solar power isn't very energy dense even when the Sun shines, which it doesn't do a lot in some places. I think in the long term some form of nuclear energy will be the big blessing for humanity. E = mc*2. That's a lot of energy for just a little matter.

I agree that overall Musk is amazing but I think there's an upper limit on how far he can go with the solar stuff just because solar power isn't very energy dense even when the Sun shines, which it doesn't do a lot in some places. I think in the long term some form of nuclear energy will be the big blessing for humanity. E = mc*2. That's a lot of energy for just a little matter.
I agree. Solar is inefficient and the ROI takes 20 + years. In some locations in the US, the sun is rolling 300 days per year.

Nuclear is the long term solution. Why we are not developing more nuclear plants is beyond me.

I agree. Solar is inefficient and the ROI takes 20 + years. In some locations in the US, the sun is rolling 300 days per year.

Nuclear is the long term solution. Why we are not developing more nuclear plants is beyond me.
Because the left has demonized that too. And if the left demonizes it, the media, education and government bend over.

"SpaceX is buggy"
"SpaceX is about space tourism for rich guys"
"I honestly don't know much about SpaceX"

You don't say 🤔🤔

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Obliviax

Greens: There's a climate catastrophe due to CO2. The earth only has 17 years left. HOW DARE YOU!
Smart People: Okay. There is this amazing power source that has ZERO CO2 and has the fewest deaths per kwh of any energy source. It's called Nuclear.
Greens: NO WAY. NUCLEAR IS SCARY!! HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF 3 MILE ISLAND?!?!
Smart People: 3 Mile Island caused zero deaths. Let us reiterate, nuclear has the fewest deaths per kwh generated, and it's not close.
Greens: NUCLEAR IS SCARY, LIKE AN AR-15!

This is how you know that the climate catastrophists and pols are full of Sh*t. If they really believed that CO2 was going to bring about Armageddon, there would be a race to bring nuclear plants online instead of pushing to shut them down. To be fair, they may not be FOS - they might just be unintelligent.

Greens: There's a climate catastrophe due to CO2. The earth only has 17 years left. HOW DARE YOU!
Smart People: Okay. There is this amazing power source that has ZERO CO2 and has the fewest deaths per kwh of any energy source. It's called Nuclear.
Greens: NO WAY. NUCLEAR IS SCARY!! HAVE YOU NOT HEARD OF 3 MILE ISLAND?!?!
Smart People: 3 Mile Island caused zero deaths. Let us reiterate, nuclear has the fewest deaths per kwh generated, and it's not close.
Greens: NUCLEAR IS SCARY, LIKE AN AR-15!

This is how you know that the climate catastrophists and pols are full of Sh*t. If they really believed that CO2 was going to bring about Armageddon, there would be a race to bring nuclear plants online instead of pushing to shut them down. To be fair, they may not be FOS - they might just be unintelligent.
Yep, and 30 years of drought in CA caused by climate change is now "Atmospheric rivers" caused by climate change.

California is waterlogged after yet another drenching atmospheric river

Los Angeles has clinched at least its 4th wettest February on record and has

Until a few months ago, I worked for the biggest battery making in the world (depending on the quarter), which also supplied Tesla. Current battery tech is a disaster. Mining Lithium and other rare earth minerals is bad enough. Almost all of the world's cobalt comes from a small region in Congo, with horrible working conditions. Every major company says they don't source material from places like Congo, but they are either lying or are willfully ignorant. There isn't enough CObalt produced in other areas of the world for any major battery producer to avoid it. It's pretty disgusting, really. Further, there just isn't enough rare earths to produce the battery energy storage needed to replace the extreme energy storage inherent in fossil fuels. WRT fires, let me say that I'll never willingly buy a current EV. The energy density in a chemical battery is scary. As the service manage of the computer division I worked for said after a battery safety recall..."No way in hell I'll ever drive a car with a 1000 laptop batteries between my legs."

There is tons of work being done on solid state batteries which could be a game changer. They have greater energy density so, in theory, they require less rare earths.

Regarding your last statement, I don't think there is any question on the impact of Musk on the world. I'm not convinced that electrification is the long term solution to anything, but if tech that makes it viable is developed, Musk will deserve credit for building the market for EVs that made the needed R&D viable.
Then, we look at SpaceX. In a very short time, Musk dropped the cost of rocket launches by something like 90% from what the Federal government had been doing for decades. The reusable rocket tech has major implications for all things space related, now and in the future. Then you add Paypal, which pioneered electronic payments and Starlink, amongst other less-successful ventures like the boring company/hyperloop which could be the precursor for future development, and his impact on the world is enormous. We won't even discuss the fascist monopoly that he broke with the Twitter buyout. Time will tell if it mattered in the end, but we could see where it was headed, if he hadn't.

Reactions: Obliviax
Until a few months ago, I worked for the biggest battery making in the world (depending on the quarter), which also supplied Tesla. Current battery tech is a disaster. Mining Lithium and other rare earth minerals is bad enough. Almost all of the world's cobalt comes from a small region in Congo, with horrible working conditions. Every major company says they don't source material from places like Congo, but they are either lying or are willfully ignorant. There isn't enough CObalt produced in other areas of the world for any major battery producer to avoid it. It's pretty disgusting, really. Further, there just isn't enough rare earths to produce the battery energy storage needed to replace the extreme energy storage inherent in fossil fuels. WRT fires, let me say that I'll never willingly buy a current EV. The energy density in a chemical battery is scary. As the service manage of the computer division I worked for said after a battery safety recall..."No way in hell I'll ever drive a car with a 1000 laptop batteries between my legs."

There is tons of work being done on solid state batteries which could be a game changer. They have greater energy density so, in theory, they require less rare earths.

Regarding your last statement, I don't think there is any question on the impact of Musk on the world. I'm not convinced that electrification is the long term solution to anything, but if tech that makes it viable is developed, Musk will deserve credit for building the market for EVs that made the needed R&D viable.
Then, we look at SpaceX. In a very short time, Musk dropped the cost of rocket launches by something like 90% from what the Federal government had been doing for decades. The reusable rocket tech has major implications for all things space related, now and in the future. Then you add Paypal, which pioneered electronic payments and Starlink, amongst other less-successful ventures like the boring company/hyperloop which could be the precursor for future development, and his impact on the world is enormous. We won't even discuss the fascist monopoly that he broke with the Twitter buyout. Time will tell if it mattered in the end, but we could see where it was headed, if he hadn't.
Musk has said that we in a plateau for EVs. He said what we have is what we have until new tech emerges. And new tech is always unpredictable.

As I've said many times, I like EVs for what they are. But people are trying to make them something that they aren't. They are just not practical for long trips and don't perform well in extreme cold. Longer-range batteries, better-charging infrastructure and driving down costs will all contribute to EV adoption.

Historians will ignore or condemn him because he is not a fascist supporting synchphant. He is the Edison or Einstein of our day.

There are some companies, through federal grants of course, looking at the abundant coal mine waste piles we have in PA (and I'm assuming other states) for rare earth minerals. I haven't heard, but I would think that all the piles left from precious metals mining in the western US would be promising.

I have heard that results vary, but I haven't seen anyone scrambling to start hauling any piles away to process them.

How dare you!!! There's no money in actually solving problems like energy generation.

How dare you!!! There's no money in actually solving problems like energy generation.
To me, the problem is the group think. If you are not 100% totally invested in renewable energy, you are cast out But NatGas, for example, is very clear (not as clean as renewables) and realistically inexhaustible. Nuclear has a ton of upside. Old nuke plants were built in the 70s. Its like comparing SpaceX to Gemini. But there seems to be this notion that if we invest in NatGas or Nukes, the idea of green energy is dead. And that may be true. But we aren't going to solve energy problems in the 2020s with renewables.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT