ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska just fired their Athletic Director

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
Shawn Eichorst is out as Nebraska's athletic director.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln on Thursday afternoon announced it has begun a search for a new director of athletics.

“Shawn has led Nebraska Athletics in many positive ways, but those efforts have not translated into on-field performance,” Chancellor Ronnie Green said in a statement. “Our fans and our student-athletes deserve leadership that drives the highest levels of competitiveness, as well as excellence across all facets of Husker Athletics.”

Green will hold a news conference at 2:30 p.m.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_c811f0a1-52c1-5a82-8d76-209ddbbb52b9.html

Reactions: TheGLOV

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln on Thursday afternoon announced it has begun a search for a new director of athletics.

“Shawn has led Nebraska Athletics in many positive ways, but those efforts have not translated into on-field performance,” Chancellor Ronnie Green said in a statement. “Our fans and our student-athletes deserve leadership that drives the highest levels of competitiveness, as well as excellence across all facets of Husker Athletics.”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_c811f0a1-52c1-5a82-8d76-209ddbbb52b9.html

This from the same school that allowed a girl to play volleyball after conduct unbecoming of a student years back.

yep, it makes perfect sense.

Guess that leaves Coach Riley twisting in the wind. Is he to be a dead man walking all season or does he go soon? They didn't like Frank Solich winning 9 or 10 games a year and struggled until Pelini came and gave them 9 wins a year. Good luck Micah!

Reactions: TheGLOV and m48tank
Guess that leaves Coach Riley twisting in the wind. Is he to be a dead man walking all season or does he go soon? They didn't like Frank Solich winning 9 or 10 games a year and struggled until Pelini came and gave them 9 wins a year. Good luck Micah!

Most searches take 90 days. Assume the new AD will want to make the hire. Maybe they can him after the recruits sign their LOIs.....lol

Reactions: TheGLOV
A bit of an over reaction. Seems really odd to support, support and support the guy and then suddenly fire him. Doesn't seem to me that this kind of "shoot from the hip" activity is productive over the long term.

As stated, now the football coach is a dead man walking, his recruiting class will be a nightmare, and there is a coach in Youngstown grinning from ear to ear.

Nebraska has 10 commits for 2018 and is ranked 51st. I suspect most of these guys will start to look around again. I also think Parsons has pretty much dropped the Huskers from his list.

A bit of an over reaction. Seems really odd to support, support and support the guy and then suddenly fire him. Doesn't seem to me that this kind of "shoot from the hip" activity is productive over the long term.

As stated, now the football coach is a dead man walking, his recruiting class will be a nightmare, and there is a coach in Youngstown grinning from ear to ear.
I don't follow Nebraska, but apparently there were trustees who didn't favor firing Bo. There is some speculation that this is their payback. How many Surma brothers are there?

Reading that quote from the chancellor leads me to think UNL has a culture problem.

Reactions: Ski
So it just announced that Riley added a year onto his contract right after the loss to Oregon for reasons that nobody could figure out why. UNL losing to Northern Illinois and Oregon and having to pull a victory out late versus Arkansas State (not Arkansas) was the nail in the coffin. So they take a until the end of October to pick a new AD and then give the new AD the first job of firing Riley and finding his own new head coach.

The issue with UNL is they are going to have to pay Riley out and then spend some big money to get a coach that wants to take that job as UNL is just not a good job right now. They have a lack of talent in their 85 roster to the point it is going to take 3 to 4 years of a new coach to really get Top 25 talent in to the point of being able to really compete and will UNL fans want to wait that long.

Reactions: idotter
Nebraska has 10 commits for 2018 and is ranked 51st. I suspect most of these guys will start to look around again. I also think Parsons has pretty much dropped the Huskers from his list.

Good point about Parsons. There's always a twist with him (granted this time it was out of his control ;)).

Coach Riley is left to twist in the wind. The old AD was never well liked by the fans (from what I've seen on the Nebby board) but the timing now puts the football coach's future in doubt and may wreck a recruiting class. Might have been better to fire the AD in January/ February and not have as much uncertainty for as long as they will now.

Yes, this is the first step of Riley going out the door and Scott Frost becoming Nebraska's next head coach starting next season.

Reactions: Bob78
Wait and see - some of the Nebraska fans will float Franklin's name as their next head coach because the Huskers are a destination program and PSU is just a stepping stone.

Wait and see - some of the Nebraska fans will float Franklin's name as their next head coach because the Huskers are a destination program and PSU is just a stepping stone.

I wouldn't doubt it. Heck, they'll probably be talking up Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh...just to name a few. One guy I could see that might be in reach for them is Les Miles.

Scott Frost? I dunno. Better than Riley, yeah. Frost is 7-7 so far at UCF. Not sure he's the ultimate answer to Nebraska's prayers, but I suppose there's no harm in giving him a shot.

I wouldn't doubt it. Heck, they'll probably be talking up Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh...just to name a few. One guy I could see that might be in reach for them is Les Miles.

Scott Frost? I dunno. Better than Riley, yeah. Frost is 7-7 so far at UCF. Not sure he's the ultimate answer to Nebraska's prayers, but I suppose there's no harm in giving him a shot.
Hot name, but one could say he was riding Chip Kelly's coat tails (as was Helfrich). Helfrich took over and was found out

Good point about Parsons. There's always a twist with him (granted this time it was out of his control ;)).

Coach Riley is left to twist in the wind. The old AD was never well liked by the fans (from what I've seen on the Nebby board) but the timing now puts the football coach's future in doubt and may wreck a recruiting class. Might have been better to fire the AD in January/ February and not have as much uncertainty for as long as they will now.

This may be the new reality as a response to the early signing period. In order to attract a decent recruiting class a new AD and HC really should be in place with 4 year contracts. My guess is that is where they are headed. Riley won't quit as he can't be expected to turn his back on millions.....so they just let him twist until all the moving parts are grounded, then he will be shown the door. Pretty ugly. Again, do they have a Surma on their board?

Reactions: psu00
Jed Donohue was talking about Nebraska recruiting several weeks ago. He said he just didn't see Nebraska ever being able to recruit like they did back in the 1970s - 1990s when they would scoop up a lot of top talent from Texas. The demise of the BIG 12 and the move to the BIG may have killed Nebraska. Plus they just never seemed like a good fit for the BIG.

Reactions: Obliviax

what is their overall record across all sports? the AD is concerned with the competitiveness over all programs. i think Nebraska is actually pretty competitive on an all-sports basis.

Former Louisville and RU Athletic Director Julie Hermann on her way to Lincoln right now hoping for an interview. Was an All-Big Eight volleyball player at UN-Lincoln.

what is their overall record across all sports? the AD is concerned with the competitiveness over all programs. i think Nebraska is actually pretty competitive on an all-sports basis.

That might be what they say to placate the women's sports, but everyone knows that football and basketball pay all the bills. A 10% drop in football revenue would be disastrous. Same for basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT