ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Wrestling Free Agency: It's here.

Last season's top 10 schools, with transfers as starters (from memory; please point out mistakes):

Penn State: 2 (Carson Kuhn, Corey Keener)
Ohio State: 2 (Joey McKenna, TeShan Campbell)
Iowa: 0 (PD3 didn't clear, Pat Lugo redshirted)
Michigan: 1 (Kevin Beazley)
NC State: 0
Missouri: 2 (Grant Leeth, Heavyweight from WVU)
Cornell: 1 (Fredy Stroker)
Virginia Tech: 1 (Ryan Blees)
Nebraska: 0
Arizona State: 2 (Ryan Millhof, Jason Tsirtsis)

Anecdotally, it does "seem" as though the rate of transfers is increasing.

In general, I don't like the transfer stuff. It makes it more difficult for the kid to earn his degree. But looking at that list of names, there can be some pretty good reasons for transferring, too.

Bigger picture, I'd expect the existing rules restricting transfers to lessen, as the NCAA tries unsuccessfully to defend itself in courts of law re: its "amateurism" rules.

Nebraska had Isaiah White, who nearly AA'd at 165

Highest placing transfer among top 10 teams was Micic, from NW to Michigan.

Lost in the finals to another transfer.

The PSU transfers at 125 and 133 were different than McKenna. Both were grad transfers -- they had already completed their undergrad degrees. If we care about the individuals, then they should be free to pursue graduate degrees elsewhere if they so choose.

Also, Boise canceled their program, so Kuhn either transferred or ended his career.

Regarding the rest, "free agency" is hyperbolic. Except for grad transfers and program cancellations, they all must receive a written release from their original school or else sit a year.
Did PSU actually give Suriano a written release or did the BIG just overstep their bounds and grant it without the release? Can't remember

Did PSU actually give Suriano a written release or did the BIG just overstep their bounds and grant it without the release? Can't remember
PSU first granted Suriano permission to talk to Rutgers. Of course, after the financial offer had been presented and accepted.

Penn State granted Suriano a release to Rutgers only.

#11 at nationals Rutgers had 3 transfers among its 10 wrestlers at B1Gs.
They (Rutgers) probably need to let these kids at other schools for an extra year before poaching. That way someone can teach them wrestling techniques for a bit longer before they begin the skill deterioration process at Rutgers.

Reactions: Ski and richmin3
Both. PSU release only meant the NCAA wouldn't dock Suriano a year. B10 waived its intra-conference transfer rule without explanation.

I guess I missed the part where Perry and DeSanto committed to Iowa. I need to pay better attention

I have not seen anything about DeSanto picking any school. I don't know why anyone would put him on any team at this point. I don't even think we've seen any indication of who is the leader.

I have not seen anything about DeSanto picking any school. I don't know why anyone would put him on any team at this point. I don't even think we've seen any indication of who is the leader.

If Desanto didn't use any/all of his official visits ( don't think he used any ).......then he can have as many as 5 schools fly him across the country, put him up in nice hotels and give him the royal treatment for a day or two. I would expect him to use all of his visits and make certain a couple of them are near the beach. :)

Unfortunately, I think we should probably get used to this type of off season movement.. at least for the near future. At some point someone will get caught recruiting committed wrestlers and it will change the landscape back to actually recruiting high school kids before you knew what their AA status was :). In the meantime, enjoy the off season attention and hope that the extra drama/story line is growing the sport (any publicity = good publicity). It seems like the NCAA has been pretty lenient and given wrestling a lot of 'rope' with this kind of thing. Eventually things like this have a way of sorting themselves out....

I guess I missed the part where Perry and DeSanto committed to Iowa. I need to pay better attention

Do you think, and are you ok with, TnT going all in on recruiting both Desanto and Perry? Honest question, not being sarcastic at all just curious what your thoughts are.

Not sure what the issue is. Transfers are not new, high level AA's moving also not new. Back in the early 80's I wrestled with Charlie Heller at Clarion a Iowa transfer 3X AA, Ray Brinzer transferred from Okie State Kolat from PSU to Lock Haven... Scores of other transfers over the years. There is a one time transfer rule that seemed to be the or one of the hurdles that PD3 could not get across.

I don't understand a lot of the anti transferring views, there are many students who transfer for many reasons. People change majors and realize there school doesn't have a great program for the new major. What about people who get to school and realize that it isn't a good fit socially, why treat wrestlers differently. There are guidelines for athletes transferring if they follow those no issues.

It isnt transferring itself, to me, it's the instant status now given without sitting out a year, and along with the sudden 6th year being nearly automatic now, and teams now just openly seeming to recruit the best transfer to fill a few weight classes....it just feels like free agency when you put it all together.

Reactions: mcruny42
It isnt transferring itself, to me, it's the instant status now given without sitting out a year, and along with the sudden 6th year being nearly automatic now, and teams now just openly seeming to recruit the best transfer to fill a few weight classes....it just feels like free agency when you put it all together.
The 6th year is up to the NCAA, their rulings at times do not make any sense. Regarding the instant status transferring to another school, the previous school can stop that by not granting a release.

I do not love the instant eligibility without special circumstances (such as losing your program) as that could encourage teams to poach a kid at a need weight.

i'm in favor of waiting a year except for extenuating circumstances. if you're transferring for school, you shouldn't mind waiting since you get to focus more on school. if you're transferring for a better shot at winning a title, whatever but ride the pine for a year and then go for it.

i'm in favor of waiting a year except for extenuating circumstances. if you're transferring for school, you shouldn't mind waiting since you get to focus more on school. if you're transferring for a better shot at winning a title, whatever but ride the pine for a year and then go for it.

Do you guys know something the rest of us don't know? I ask because the NCAA rules re transferring have not changed as far as I know. Sitting out a year or not is entirely at the discretion of the school you are transferring out of.

Do you guys know something the rest of us don't know? I ask because the NCAA rules re transferring have not changed as far as I know. Sitting out a year or not is entirely at the discretion of the school you are transferring out of.

it's possible that i know less than the rest of you. my understanding of the transfer rules is that the 'sit a year' rule only counts for football and basketball and for intra-conference transfers. then there are exceptions for grad transfers and when your original school grants you a release.

it seems like the release part is becoming more of a given and now the original school would be seen as the 'bad guy' if they don't grant it, which essentially leads to open transfers from small schools to big schools.

it's my opinion that the only exception to sitting would be for family-type issues. i'm only applying this to scholarship athletes; if you're paying your own way then feel free to transfer wherever. otherwise, if you're getting a discount on education then education should come first. again, just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT