ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball NCAA TOURNAMENT MEGATHREAD (PLEASE KEEP NON-PSU BASKETBALL TALK HERE)

And yet we’ve had how many teams in the National Title game? It’s not like there is some systemic issue.

This year, the conference had incredible depth, but was lacking great teams at the top. The Big 12 was absolutely loaded and still only has one more team alive.
A few in the title game as runner up over the last 30 plus years ('92, 93, '02, '05, '07, '09, '15, '18) but who cares. You have to win it all. Overall the NCAA record is lousy for the conference. If it wasn't for MSU the conference would be a total laughing stock.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Who are these “big ten officials”, and how are they different than the officials doing NCAA tournament games?

They are the same officials.
All I know is that we averaged 16 team fouls a game in conference play and had 8 against A&M and 12 against Texas, with some of those being at the end to stop the clock. I don’t remember any games in conference where we had fouls to give at the end, but we did in both tournament games. So if they are the same officials, they were certainly calling it different. We’ve also had multiple coaches at PSU questioning the officiating in conference play over the years.

Reactions: Online Persona
All I know is that we averaged 16 team fouls a game in conference play and had 8 against A&M and 12 against Texas, with some of those being at the end to stop the clock. I don’t remember any games in conference where we had fouls to give at the end, but we did in both tournament games.
We were one of the better teams in the country in not sending teams to the line...34th in the country and 3rd in the Big Ten. Don't let that small two game sample size cloud your view (especially when the A&M game was played at a crawling 59 possession pace and they jacked up 34 threes).

Also, note that we committed 11 fouls against A&M.

And this would all completely go against the false narrative that "Big Ten referees" don't call any fouls, but those in the NCAA Tournament suddenly do.

We were one of the better teams in the country in not sending teams to the line...34th in the country and 3rd in the Big Ten. Don't let that small two game sample size cloud your view (especially when the A&M game was played at a crawling 59 possession pace and they jacked up 34 threes).

Also, note that we committed 11 fouls against A&M.

And this would all completely go against the false narrative that "Big Ten referees" don't call any fouls, but those in the NCAA Tournament suddenly do.
I’m not the one who said Big Ten refs don’t call fouls, they called plenty against us. And my sample size from conference play is quite large enough to show we got called for many ticky tack fouls and had a lot of points scored against us from the line.

Ignore the BTN claims about B1G bb being one of the best leagues. Only one team is in the top 16 teams in America
This is who we are as a league. Save the platitudes until after the playoffs. Purdue should save the travel expenses and forfeit every year.
So basically none of the conferences were any good. The Big 12 has three teams, but their champion went down to the wire with the 10th place Big Ten team. The Ivy League has one team….I wouldn’t say they were as good as the Big Ten. It’s like bowl season, it’s about matchups and who gets seeded where. Other conferences had more higher seeds, so they should have more teams still in it.

I’m not the one who said Big Ten refs don’t call fouls, they called plenty against us. And my sample size from conference play is quite large enough to show we got called for many ticky tack fouls and had a lot of points scored against us from the line.
They didn’t “call plenty against us” though…we got relatively few called against us in conference games this season. The “lots of points scored against us from the line” was 12th in the conference and 323rd in the country.

I swear, we could have been 14th and 353rd and people would still be convinced that the refs are out to get us.

They didn’t “call plenty against us” though…we got relatively few called against us in conference games this season. The “lots of points scored against us from the line” was 12th in the conference and 323rd in the country.

I swear, we could have been 14th and 353rd and people would still be convinced that the refs are out to get us.

16 out of 23 games (with one tie) we were called for more fouls than our conference opponent. I would say that constitutes “plenty” and we got called for more fouls the first 15 games in a row, until Shrewsbury made enough noise about it.

16 out of 23 games (with one tie) we were called for more fouls than our conference opponent. I would say that constitutes “plenty” and we got called for more fouls the first 15 games in a row, until Shrewsbury made enough noise about it.
Did you notice anything with our style of play this season that might have led to that? Or do you expect long range jump shooters to draw the same number as teams using a big in the post and/or driving and attacking the rim?

We got called for few fouls…the issue was that we drew even fewer

Did you notice anything with our style of play this season that might have led to that? Or do you expect long range jump shooters to draw the same number as teams using a big in the post and/or driving and attacking the rim?

We got called for few fouls…the issue was that we drew even fewer
I saw Pickett going to the basket constantly and barely seeing the foul line. I also saw Pickett being grabbed and held out away from the basket all year with no calls. We didn’t change our style of play much the last nine games compared to the first 15, but the amount of fouls changed. I wonder why.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT