ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA screws PSU again putting PSU BB Game up during the PSU Wrestling Championship

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Does the NCAA not recognize that Saturday at 6:00 pm is the "one shining moment" event for PSU Wrestling. It has been scheduled since last March....... So NCAA puts PSU BB on during our Wrestling Match........ 2 tvs will be necessary.

Bastards.

Does the NCAA not recognize that Saturday at 6:00 pm is the "one shining moment" event for PSU Wrestling. It has been scheduled since last March....... So NCAA puts PSU BB on during our Wrestling Match........ 2 tvs will be necessary.

Bastards.
just being honest with you, not meaning this in a sarcastic way, but relatively few people care about the wrestling tournament

Reactions: bdgan
just being honest with you, not meaning this in a sarcastic way, but relatively few people care about the wrestling tournament
I know the Basketball tourney obviously is much bigger. The interesting thing is that youth wrestling is growing in interest as MMA has become more popular. I like highschool/college wrestling. I love watching PSU steamroll their competitors. There is something about watching a program that is really good at something that I enjoy.

The interesting thing about wrestling is that the wrestlers are doing for themselves, their team, their families not for the publicity....the marketing dollars. the interviews after they win their national championships are amazing as the 3 day tournament beats their asses....even though they are the champions. They look like hostage victims with hollowed out faces, black eyes, cuts..........tough dudes.

This^^^^
Wrestling isn't even competitive if we're being honest--see the list of team champions
Also, the NCAA shouldn't be scheduling basketball games around other events at a different venue.
The NCAA is garbage but this is a weird complaint.

Reactions: step.eng69
This^^^^
Wrestling isn't even competitive if we're being honest--see the list of team champions
Also, the NCAA shouldn't be scheduling basketball games around other events at a different venue.
The NCAA is garbage but this is a weird complaint.
and if the ncaa is going to schedule around any event, it is going to be the basketball tournament which is their main event of the year.

i completely respect wrestling, it is one of the oldest sports of all. but it is kind of unwatchable imo. it is not a great spectator sport. there's a reason the "professional" version is a circus with cartoon characters. you can't get anybody to watch in its normal form

Bastards.
Sorry to disappoint you, but very few college sports fans pay any attention to any other sports but CF and CB. Just the way it is no matter how you try and spin it

It is a shame they are on at the same time. But the bball game is the nationally broadcast game in prime time. Helluva boost for the team and the university. The ratings will be awesome.

Wrestling does have a timing problem. Even if they moved it up a week before the Dance begins it would be up against league tournament games. Not much they can do.

Wrestling is also very regional, like hockey. It is a major sports in a dozen or so states….not much of anything in two dozen others. Hard to do national prime time telecasts with that demographic.

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint you, but very few college sports fans pay any attention to any other sports but CF and CB. Just the way it is no matter how you try and spin it
Agreed. I watch volleyball (men and women) and hockey but understand how little they mean to most. Basketball and football allow wrestling and other sports to exist. Can't complain when they take a backseat to them.

I actually wrote the original post as somewhat sarcastic.......I love the NCAA screwed PSU, the committee screwed PSU having them play an underseeded Texas A&M team posts.

I am sure that there is a formula to try to maximize TV viewers for the game.......

Happy for both PSU BB and Wrestling........

I am sure that there is a formula to try to maximize TV viewers for the game.......

Happy for both PSU BB and Wrestling........
The formula is pretty simple...they go to CBS and ask them which two locations they'd like to cover today (and with one of the games being Missouri-Princeton, that knocked the Sacramento location out). They decided they wanted the best game of the day (Duke-Tennessee) in their 2:30 window, then felt that Des Moines was the best option for their two later slots.

Bastards.
Other than a subset of Penn States and Iowa fans, nobody cares about wrestling. Wrestling is on par with field hockey, lacrosse and diving.

I know the Basketball tourney obviously is much bigger. The interesting thing is that youth wrestling is growing in interest as MMA has become more popular. I like highschool/college wrestling. I love watching PSU steamroll their competitors. There is something about watching a program that is really good at something that I enjoy.

The interesting thing about wrestling is that the wrestlers are doing for themselves, their team, their families not for the publicity....the marketing dollars. the interviews after they win their national championships are amazing as the 3 day tournament beats their asses....even though they are the champions. They look like hostage victims with hollowed out faces, black eyes, cuts..........tough dudes.
Are you sure? I see multiple high schools in both pa and md dropping wrestling or co-oping with other schools. Girl’s wrestling is growing though.

Are you sure? I see multiple high schools in both pa and md dropping wrestling or co-oping with other schools. Girl’s wrestling is growing though.
PIAA just swelled to over 100 HS wanting to participate women's wrestling. So that is definitely growing.

I will watch every PSU wrestler's match, and flip over to hoops when they're not wrestling. PSU Wrestling Dynasty is equivalent to UCLA' s in basketball during the Alcindor/Walton era. This is the greatest sports program in PSU history, how can you not watch and be so proud!

I’ll do the same thing with wrestling tonight that I do every year…watch basketball until all the games are done around midnight, then start up my recording of wrestling. Makes for a great 14 hours of sports.

I will watch every PSU wrestler's match, and flip over to hoops when they're not wrestling. PSU Wrestling Dynasty is equivalent to UCLA' s in basketball during the Alcindor/Walton era. This is the greatest sports program in PSU history, how can you not watch and be so proud!
PSU wrestling has had an amazing run but it's not like UCLA basketball. There are 78 D1 wrestling schools and 353 D1 basketball schools.

Because it's not a competitive sport and honestly never has been. A program has almost always dominated it. I'm glad it us and not someone else but, for example, what the women's volleyball program did was far more impressive than wrestling simply based on the competition level of other programs.

Reactions: rrdd2021
PSU wrestling has had an amazing run but it's not like UCLA basketball. There are 78 D1 wrestling schools and 353 D1 basketball schools.
Yeah, but if you read some of the old stories, John Wooden and UCLA were crooked as hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT