ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA proposes tipping point for college athletics

I don’t like the concept but if you are going to de facto pay kids via NIL collectives, I’d rather see it change to being above board and directly via the schools.

Reactions: dswartz
With all of this going on (including NIL deals), will there eventually be salary caps in college sports? We know some schools have way more money and resources than others."

Could we see something like what the MLB does, where smaller market teams get competitive balancing advantages?

Reactions: dswartz
With all of this going on (including NIL deals), will there eventually be salary caps in college sports? We know some schools have way more money and resources than others."

Could we see something like what the MLB does, where smaller market teams get competitive balancing advantages?
I mean, don't we already have that even without the money being a factor? Look at how many teams have made the playoff over a decade. A few teams dominate--occasionally others make a run (TCU/Michigan State/etc)

I mean, don't we already have that even without the money being a factor? Look at how many teams have made the playoff over a decade. A few teams dominate--occasionally others make a run (TCU/Michigan State/etc)
That's a fair point. Even without factoring in money, college football already has some inherent competitive balancing with different teams making playoff runs. But with NIL deals and huge gaps in resources, I wonder if something more formal might eventually be needed.

The top tier programs are rapidly gaining financial advantages that could cement a more permanent class divide. Perhaps some type of revenue sharing or salary cap framework could help level the playing field. I'm curious if others think that might be necessary down the road or if parity will remain decently intact organically.

That's a fair point. Even without factoring in money, college football already has some inherent competitive balancing with different teams making playoff runs. But with NIL deals and huge gaps in resources, I wonder if something more formal might eventually be needed.

The top tier programs are rapidly gaining financial advantages that could cement a more permanent class divide. Perhaps some type of revenue sharing or salary cap framework could help level the playing field. I'm curious if others think that might be necessary down the road or if parity will remain decently intact organically.
And yeah thats fair too. I could see some kind of revenue sharing within a conference but probably limited. The ACC and Big XII will have a tough time.

Reactions: PennState_one
Finally, these indentured servants can be free from the oppression of free room, board, tuition, and all the training and exposure they can want! Hooray!
I know that’s funny. But factor in kids risking life altering injuries so a girl can play box lacrosse, an old guy can rub elbows with an investor to fund a lucrative project or a salesperson hosting a big tailgate to ‘build relationships’. PSU makes $280,000,000 in four years while the player makes $280,000k in free tuition/R&B.

Even if there’s a salary cap from the school, what’s to prevent a local booster from still giving a kid another million dollars to advertise for his car dealership? Just like Patrick Mahomes makes a boatload from doing commercials.

my favorite part of the story is how the money will be put into a 'trust fund' (presumably a nonprofit for 'educational' purposes) but then when the money is transferred to the athletes who spend it (shockingly) not on post university continuing education, but rather on hookers and blow, it magically does not become private inurement.

• Love
Reactions: hoflane
The next development, as this farce known as student/athletes continues to unravel, will be the end of the requirement that an player be a student. They will simply be professionals who are trying to make into the big show (NFL) with no academic/student status with a university. The athletic departments are already separate corporations.
In the past week the commissioners of the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC met with congressional leaders asking for intervention. The dumb bastards of two of these conferences, along with the athletic directors, and the presidents and chancellors of the individuals universities, have realized that they may have knocked the train (college football) off the tracks. Money and idiots.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The next development, as this farce known as student/athletes continues to unravel, will be the end of the requirement that an player be a student. They will simply be professionals who are trying to make into the big show (NFL) with no academic/student status with a university. The athletic departments are already separate corporations.
In the past week the commissioners of the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC met with congressional leaders asking for intervention. The dumb bastards of two of these conferences, along with the athletic directors, and the presidents and chancellors of the individuals universities, have realized that they may have knocked the train (college football) off the tracks. Money and idiots.
We ain't come to play school.

I don’t like the concept but if you are going to de facto pay kids via NIL collectives, I’d rather see it change to being above board and directly via the schools.
Yes, the schools have certainly never been known to break the rules like those sketchy boosters and agents do. 🤣

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Title IX and people getting paid what they're worth on the market are contradictory. If you pay athletes $30 K per year then you're paying a minority less than they're worth and a majority more than they're worth.

Title IX and people getting paid what they're worth on the market are contradictory. If you pay athletes $30 K per year then you're paying a minority less than they're worth and a majority more than they're worth.
And if there was a minor league football league instead of college, these players would make less than $30 K a year and have to pay for their own room and board.

And if there was a minor league football league instead of college, these players would make less than $30 K a year and have to pay for their own room and board.
If there was a minor league INSTEAD of college football I think the players would make a lot of money. If there was a minor league AND college football then the minor leagues might not make a lot of money, depending on how college football is run.

Hey, Money and idiots is what keep this country going and has never steered us wrong:) The best example is Congress.

Reactions: bdgan
Athletes would get paid by academic institutions directly.

Laughable! As if the money is to help them play school.

That money is ostensibly to help athletes continue educational pursuits during the summer or after their careers, but there would be no requirements for how they spend it.

The NCAA doesn't intend to require that an athlete finish his or her degree before they get access to that money.

• Haha
Reactions: Aardvark86
Laughable! As if the money is to help them play school.

That money is ostensibly to help athletes continue educational pursuits during the summer or after their careers, but there would be no requirements for how they spend it.

The NCAA doesn't intend to require that an athlete finish his or her degree before they get access to that money.
Bad proposal.

Reactions: bdgan
If there was a minor league INSTEAD of college football I think the players would make a lot of money. If there was a minor league AND college football then the minor leagues might not make a lot of money, depending on how college football is run.
The XFL & USFL don't make money. Players might earn $60k.

Reactions: doctornick
Players would make squat because fans don’t support leagues other than the NFL and college and never have. Look at minor league baseball if you want to see how much minor league football players would make.

Players would make squat because fans don’t support leagues other than the NFL and college and never have. Look at minor league baseball if you want to see how much minor league football players would make.
AWS, I'm not so sure. Minor league baseball has never got this kind of publicity. College football would have a build up like nothing we have ever seen before.

AWS, I'm not so sure. Minor league baseball has never got this kind of publicity. College football would have a build up like nothing we have ever seen before.
People follow college football because of the colleges, not the players (the players change constantly). Most of the fans either went to school there or grew up a fan…you won’t get that kind of loyalty from a minor league team.

People follow college football because of the colleges, not the players (the players change constantly). Most of the fans either went to school there or grew up a fan…you won’t get that kind of loyalty from a minor league team.
I understand that and agree 100%. I am just saying if they turn into a minor league (so to say), I'd think the players would really benefit.

With that said, I miss the pre-portal college football already and do not like all of these changes. Of course, I didn't like the playoff idea either so what can I say?

Reactions: NoBareFeet
I understand that and agree 100%. I am just saying if they turn into a minor league (so to say), I'd think the players would really benefit.

With that said, I miss the pre-portal college football already and do not like all of these changes. Of course, I didn't like the playoff idea either so what can I say?
If you’re suggesting turning college football into a minor league, I could understand your thinking, but I don’t think that would last.

If you’re suggesting turning college football into a minor league, I could understand your thinking, but I don’t think that would last.
I guess if you really look at it, it is sort of turning into a hybrid of both already, to me anyway. I just wander how much these players will be getting paid before this is all said and done. They do make these schools a ton of money as it is already.

My my how things have changed.

FBS is already a minor league system--and has always been so
Edit: not always--for 5 decades

I think the most significant part of this proposal is that the decision to opt-into the new subdivision would be on an institutional basis, not conference (although I’d imagine the ‘Power 4’ will mandate it).

Ideally, this could create a pathway for football to be separate from the rest of an athletic department. This would allow Olympic sports to return to regionally-centric conferences while allowing football to do its own thing. Additionally, since this is essentially “pay-to-play,” anyone is allowed to be part of the subdivision, meaning no one will get kicked out or excluded as many have speculated is the end-game.

Hope PSU opts out of this nonsense if it happens. After all, opting out is all the rage!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT