ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA drop Annual 25 player cap on signings

Does the yearly cap mean that every new coach can go Dion Sanders on his team and bring in a completely new team?? Very bad IMO.
It does but I don't anticipate him brining in a completely new team yearly. He just did it to Starr because he had no ties. He will use the portal to probably add a dozen or so kids but not 60 again or anything like that.

In theory it should benefit teams losing guys to the portal because they could bring in 30 or 40 freshman if they wanted.

Does the yearly cap mean that every new coach can go Dion Sanders on his team and bring in a completely new team?? Very bad IMO.

Just curious, do you have the same concern about Lincoln Riley who changed 31% of the USC roster by leveraging the portal and openly poaching star players from other programs?

Reactions: tlbakernc
The NCAA, bless their collective hearts. The admission fee for joining FBS went from $5,000 to $5 million. Clever, keeps out the regular upwardly mobile, but welcomes any potential riffraff with big donors.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I'm confused. Didn't Sanders bring in like 50 transfers? I guess some of them came from 2 year schools so they don't count. But I was under the impression he brought in a lot more than 25 transfers.

So you can sign as many players as you like each year, as long as you stay under the overall limit.

Does the Big Ten still honor scholarships for 4 years?

If so, then are they at a significant disadvantage compared to the SEC or Big 12 who could selectively ‘Deon’ their teams each year and process out whoever is needed to stay under the overall cap.

Fantastic, now coaches can recruit players they have no intention of actually giving a scholarship to so that they can keep them away from other schools. Franklin better understand the impact of this better than he did NIL. Sign them, and then don't tell them they don't have a scholarship until after they're on campus and the rest of their options are limited. At least before scholarship limits coaches could still give out the scholarships.

Fantastic, now coaches can recruit players they have no intention of actually giving a scholarship to so that they can keep them away from other schools. Franklin better understand the impact of this better than he did NIL. Sign them, and then don't tell them they don't have a scholarship until after they're on campus and the rest of their options are limited. At least before scholarship limits coaches could still give out the scholarships.
What is the NCAA doing? there job is to help these kids not hurt them.

Reactions: psu00
So you can sign as many players as you like each year, as long as you stay under the overall limit.

Does the Big Ten still honor scholarships for 4 years?

If so, then are they at a significant disadvantage compared to the SEC or Big 12 who could selectively ‘Deon’ their teams each year and process out whoever is needed to stay under the overall cap.
If I missed it I’m sorry, but do we really know how many players are receiving NIL benefits? Because that impacts my thoughts. Perhaps NIL and non NIL should be treated differently with respect to guaranteed scholarship lengths. If a kid is being paid actual money to perform, why should a school “honor” a four year scholarship if he isn’t performing?

Often in the spectrum of college football we’ve seen players jumping to other schools because of NIL. Is that loyalty? In effect one could view many modern players as employees, and non performing employees get terminated. Why should this be different? I’m not advocating for same, if just appears that there’s some validity in the argument.

The complicating factor is that this is higher education, and it should have better standards. Unfortunately, in my view no one, other then myself 😀has provided a clear solution that satisfies the need to win and fulfills educational priorities. This will continue to be the case as long as the NCAA is involved.

If I missed it I’m sorry, but do we really know how many players are receiving NIL benefits? Because that impacts my thoughts. Perhaps NIL and non NIL should be treated differently with respect to guaranteed scholarship lengths. If a kid is being paid actual money to perform, why should a school “honor” a four year scholarship if he isn’t performing?

Often in the spectrum of college football we’ve seen players jumping to other schools because of NIL. Is that loyalty? In effect one could view many modern players as employees, and non performing employees get terminated. Why should this be different? I’m not advocating for same, if just appears that there’s some validity in the argument.

The complicating factor is that this is higher education, and it should have better standards. Unfortunately, in my view no one, other then myself 😀has provided a clear solution that satisfies the need to win and fulfills educational priorities. This will continue to be the case as long as the NCAA is involved.
Yeah, the NCAA has always been sort of a joke but they have completely abrogated all responsibility now. It’s a complete free for all and unless you’re South Dakota Tech you’re not getting seriously punished for anything.

As for NIL, I don’t know the numbers on who who’s getting paid what. I agree that actions have consequences and I don’t think anyone is seriously thinking this through. They’re simply pushing against any boundaries and the ncaa is completely backing down at every turn. No one is concerned with the big picture.

If athletes want to be paid to play then they are in employee status and it can get cut throat. If you don’t perform you’re gone. If you make any money and benefits from playing, (NIL, scholarship costs, room and board, provided food/ gifts/ gear, etc) then it should all be taxed like everyone else. There’s always 2 sides to every coin.

Of course that will be the death of college football as we’ve all known it but no one seems to care or notice. They will kill the goose with the golden egg.

It’s just literally a rock rolling down hill and gaining speed as the ncaa removes the fencing barriers. No one has even noticed the village at the bottom of the hill that’s about to be flattened.

Just curious, do you have the same concern about Lincoln Riley who changed 31% of the USC roster by leveraging the portal and openly poaching star players from other programs?
There's a big difference between a roster comprised of 30% transfers and Deion's which is like 80%+ transfers.

Hmmmm. The old line drawing game. O.k.
It's a huge difference. 30% is basically a recruiting class. Not doing that would be a mistake anywhere. Deion went to an extreme but all coaches should be using the portal especially new ones.

It's a huge difference. 30% is basically a recruiting class. Not doing that would be a mistake anywhere. Deion went to an extreme but all coaches should be using the portal especially new ones.

One important difference. USC is an established blue-blood powerhouse. Replacing more than 30% of the players in a program like USC is extraordinary.

Colorado was 1-11 last year and was one of the worst teams in the country. They need to rely heavily on the portal to be competitive. There is nothing wrong or unethical about this.

If Penn State replaced 30% of its roster within a year this board would have a meltdown.

So, it’s a little absurd for people to scrutinize lowly Colorado‘s use of the portal and just ignore Lincoln Riley’s blatant poaching for an already established program.

Last edited:
One important difference. USC is an established blue-blood powerhouse. Replacing more than 30% of the players in a program like USC is extraordinary.

Colorado was 1-11 last year and was one of the worst teams in the country. They need to rely heavily on the portal to be competitive. There is nothing wrong or unethical about this.

If Penn State replaced 30% of its roster within a year this board would have a meltdown.

So, it’s a little absurd for people to scrutinize lowly Colorado‘s use of the portal and just ignore Lincoln Riley’s blatant poaching for an already established program.

I mean, I'd have no issue with that happened here but I understand your point. I'm big on a coach should want his players and not just to make the previous regime's player fit his system. I think it's typically best for players to move on.

I also didn't have an issue with what Deion did but I do a difference between the two.

I predict that in order to avoid scholarship limits, we will see the advent of walk-on players with over one million dollars in NIL. It's just a mater of time.
That’s how scholarship limits effectively got teeth in the first place. Nebraska effectively had like 110 scholarship players as the state awarded a scholarship to a person in each county to go to Nebraska. It just turned out to be a football player.

Similar to two sport players in Soccer / Football and football track using soccer or track scholarships to have “walk-on” football players.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
It wasn't Franklin that didn't understand the impact of NIL.... think JayPa and company.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
It wasn't Franklin that didn't understand the impact of NIL.... think JayPa and company.

Right Right Right Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Facilities, facilities, facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT