ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championships in a Football Arena

my old eyes have trouble focusing on whats right infront of me so it's Going to be tough to see 100 yards away! might have to get me a set of these....
NCAA_GLASSES.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B07CK1CZ9J

Informative interview with Anthony Holman, NCAA's Managing Director of Championships & Alliances. I'm personally not excited about the distance to the mats, which is a big deal, imo.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPlayer.jsp?TIM=1564931449066&videoId=1675851132

Excited for the tournament as always, but very concerned over the viewing experience. I expect only a small percentage of those 100 level seats will have a decent viewing experience. And those not in the 100 level, 27K or so per the video will be a LONG way from the mats.

I'll be there. This needed to happen. The demand has been so great for tickets in the previous years that a change was needed increase visibility and grow our sport. Much like the tournament moved off campus a few decades ago, it is time for this. I will also pass judgement on the experience until after I've been to one.

I wasn't going until a suite became available. Reasonably priced so probably the only time I will be in a suite.

Besides I get to meet: Goldbanger (rumors of his greatness abound), Lyco1990, and liex26 (a fellow Iowan).

Food, beverages and friends...... "what could go wrong" ;)

Only remaining question is: "will the hula hoop girl make an appearance?" I can only hope.
WLo6gF.jpg

Just would’ve been nice to know layout before you buy your seats when they first go on sale.

He said they were thinking of using part of the arena as in 1 end but wanted more lower level seating. So instead of having the normal amount of 100 level tickets they go with a lot more 100 level tickets but only good views of the 2 mats in front of you.

We shall see.

average monthly snow in Minnesota in March = 10.2 inches. This is not a bright decision.

Without actually checking I doubt Minneapolis gets any more snow than Cleveland. Also, BIGs are two weeks earlier than NCAAs every year and they have been in Minny, Chicago, Iowa City, East Lansing, etc. in recent years and I don;t remember snow being a problem. Last I remember it being a big deal at either tourney was Albany, where it snowed big time on the Wednesday before NCAAs started. That said, I am all for moving the season ahead 4-5 weeks to April, instead of March.

I’m excited to go but am disappointed that this stadium was chosen. Excel Energy Center (Minnesota Wild) is a great arena and would have been an ideal spot.

It's a great arena, but isn't wide enough. Even at the Minnesota state high school tournament, the mats run very close to the hockey boards. It's too tight on the floor for what they need at the XCel. It is one of the best NHL venues in the country, though.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
Without actually checking I doubt Minneapolis gets any more snow than Cleveland. Also, BIGs are two weeks earlier than NCAAs every year and they have been in Minny, Chicago, Iowa City, East Lansing, etc. in recent years and I don;t remember snow being a problem. Last I remember it being a big deal at either tourney was Albany, where it snowed big time on the Wednesday before NCAAs started. That said, I am all for moving the season ahead 4-5 weeks to April, instead of March.
10 inches of snow in Minnesota is a problem??

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I'll be there. This needed to happen. The demand has been so great for tickets in the previous years that a change was needed increase visibility and grow our sport. Much like the tournament moved off campus a few decades ago, it is time for this. I will also pass judgement on the experience until after I've been to one.

Have you ever tried to buy a Super Bowl ticket? The NFL has demand for millions of additional tickets, yet I
Highly doubt they will be holding any future Super Bowls in the infield of Churchill Downs or the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!!

Have you ever tried to buy a Super Bowl ticket? The NFL has demand for millions of additional tickets, yet I
Highly doubt they will be holding any future Super Bowls in the infield of Churchill Downs or the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!!
Yep, have been to two super bowls. The first one I was holding tickets (NYG and Balto) and wondering about selling them, flying to Hawaii, watching the game on a new surround sound TV - all for the scalp price of the ticket. However, I didn't sell and went to the game. Point here is that you have to live the experience! That said, I've been to the NCAAs and I'm not certain a non-intimate experience is better than the streaming or TV coverage. A football stadium for a wrestling match certainly brings to question my eyesight as well the intimacy. Maybe if I were in press row or helping Tikk with his picture taking. Won't pass judgement but not traveling to Minn this year to find out. Hope this is the 'coolest' championships ever.

10 inches of snow in Minnesota is a problem??
Ha, I get it...Minnesota cities are great at handling snow. Timing is everything, though, and we don’t want to be flying in or out in the middle of a storm. Just sayin’.

Cowbell, you going to go to NCAA’s in Minneapolis?

I wasn't going until a suite became available. Reasonably priced so probably the only time I will be in a suite.

Besides I get to meet: Goldbanger (rumors of his greatness abound), Lyco1990, and liex26 (a fellow Iowan).

Food, beverages and friends...... "what could go wrong" ;)

Only remaining question is: "will the hula hoop girl make an appearance?" I can only hope.
WLo6gF.jpg

Not great for fans but pretty great for photographers, I'm selfishly hoping. Just as near to the mats and probably more elbow room for everyone on the floor.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I'm sitting this one out. Stupid venue in my opinion. I've been to football stadiums and don't need to spend money on flights, hotel, food and tickets to know what wrestling will look like. I may attend the Big 10s.

Lyco: since we will probably be a distance from the mat....... are there usually TV's in these suites? Second is there usually wifi for an internet connection (FLO) to keep up on action. Thanks
In the interview, he mentioned fans being able to use apps to keep up with the action. I’m sure suites have tvs—wouldn’t be much of a suite without them.

Lyco: since we will probably be a distance from the mat....... are there usually TV's in these suites? Second is there usually wifi for an internet connection (FLO) to keep up on action. Thanks
enlarge-icon.png

LOFT SUITE
18 Tickets
Loft suites are located on the sidelines of U.S. Bank Stadium and will include 18 tickets. Loft suites feature multiple HDTVS, 12 high-back stadium seats and 6 bar stools. A food & beverage package (including beer and wine) is included with your suite purchase. Along with the premium in-suite catering options, you will have a suite attendant in your suite to assist with all your food and beverage needs. Your group will receive exclusive access to private VIP clubs inside the stadium, including Mystic Lake Club Purple located on the Loft Level.

And my prior Suite experience we had wofi also.

It's amazing to me that in my lifetime (pretty much) NCAAs have gone from places like Grace Hall and Rec Hall to football stadiums. :eek:

Reactions: nitlion6
It's amazing to me that in my lifetime (pretty much) NCAAs have gone from places like Grace Hall and Rec Hall to football stadiums. :eek:

Even more recently than that. Just 20 years ago NCAAs were in the BJC and tickets were easy to come by. Hotel rooms not so much. We won't ever see NCAAs back in a college town like SC because they can;t handle the crowds. Even Des Moines in 2013 and OK City in 2014 were not big enough to handle the crowds between sessions.

Been fortunate to take my now 17 year old son to the last 3 nationals. He is a high school senior this year. We are heading to Bigs for sure. Do not think we are going to make the trip to nats this season.

Life's full of choices. I'm fortunate to have the resources, and a supportive spouse who's actually attending more and more "events" as we get older. This year she's planning on B1G's after two years of NCAA's. For me, as long as my health holds up, not planning on missing any NCAA Championships, even if it is in a football arena. My feeling is that we are blessed with the current state of Penn State wrestling. Obviously, it wasn't always this way. While successful in the past, what's happened the last 10 years is remarkable, and beyond my wildest dreams. Grateful and thankful come to mind.

Even more recently than that. Just 20 years ago NCAAs were in the BJC and tickets were easy to come by. Hotel rooms not so much. We won't ever see NCAAs back in a college town like SC because they can;t handle the crowds. Even Des Moines in 2013 and OK City in 2014 were not big enough to handle the crowds between sessions.

Nats at BJC provided me the opportunity to meet Andy Matter after all those years. :)

I'm pretty much out for nats at a football stadium, though. Modern media coverage is too good.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
We're going and to each, his own. I don't know what the viewing will be like, but of course, it is never as good as on your television at home.
I'm thankful I'm able to go. We go for and to be a part of the atmosphere, the excitement, a mini vacation break from work, and just being with friends and fellow fans to have fun and share the experience.
I expect the jumbo tron will be used for video play to help fans see some of the action.

Three of my closest wrestling friends have been to 50+ NCAA Championships. My story isn't the only one of being a long-time fan, but I didn't always attend the tournament.

These three (and for the most part, their spouses too) did, and two of them frequent this board, one posting occasionally, the other rarely. Can't give their names, though if you ever have a chance to talk with someone with this history, DO IT!! Their stories are well worth it.

Nats at BJC provided me the opportunity to meet Andy Matter after all those years. :)

I'm pretty much out for nats at a football stadium, though. Modern media coverage is too good.
Wait, you’re not actually Andy Matter? #disappointed ;)

I give them credit for trying something new to get more fans in the building. Especially after a lot of people weren’t happy with last years shortage. It may not be perfect viewing in house, I’m expecting it to not me as good as some but I’m excited to see what it’s like.

They said if it works it possible that they try and use bigger venues once or twice during each quad but not an every year type deal.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Honestly the viewing will be second most important thing this year. Gonna be an awesome race to the crown... will be there with Roar/ Nova / Nova 2 and Mrs Hockeygod.

Reactions: d-1980
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT