ADVERTISEMENT

ncaa CFB admissions standards

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
if you look at the ncaa standards for cfb admissions, they have toughened in the last 20 years. does everyone think the student athletes of today are much better academically than two decades ago???

How can it be determined?
My guess would be the opposite, what with the dumbing down of the SAT and the desire to make every kid a winner by inflating grades.
Are you meeting more smart kids these days?

if you look at the ncaa standards for cfb admissions, they have toughened in the last 20 years. does everyone think the student athletes of today are much better academically than two decades ago???

Toughened? Yes, it's gone from being a stalk of celery to an artichoke.

Heard admission standard to o$u is laughable nowadays.

Yes, I actually believe that they are better students and better prepared than 20-30 years ago. Now, I am not saying that they are geniuses or anything but better prepared than before, yes.

Reasons,
The mandated core classes that they have to take, I believe that they are now required to take 16 core classes, so approximately 4 English, 4 math, 4 science, and 4 Social Studies. The next is the sliding scale, before it was 2.0 and 700, then 2.0 800. Now it is on a sliding scale,. it is not likely that you are going to find a 1.6 and a 1200 walking around, anyways that is the definition of not applying themselves. But the fact that you could have a 3.3 and a 750, well then it is possible that they either a don't test well or given grades, you can guess. Basically though if the kids want to play in college they need to qualify.

But the main fact is that the student-athletes are having these facts about qualifying drilled into them even before they get to 9th grade. If they go to a camp, they hear about it from one of the college coaches. The HS coaches are more aware of the qualifications now then they were 20-30 years ago.

So that's my belief, there are still knuckleheads but not as many anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT