ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA, as we once knew it will soon be dead with new proposed constitution

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
that.is proposed and to be voted on in January. I haven't yet read this but it appears that the divisions will be allowed to govern themselves, independently.

Most important, it would provide Division I -- the highest level of college sports that includes major college football and the 351 schools eligible for the lucrative men's basketball tournament -- the autonomy to reshape everything from how revenue is shared to how rules are made and enforced.
"Once we got into this, we really found out that many of the issues were the Division I level," West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons, who is the chairman of the Division I Council and a member of the constitution committee, told AP.​

that.is proposed and to be voted on in January. I haven't yet read this but it appears that the divisions will be allowed to govern themselves, independently.

the ncaa has been in a death spiral since the mess with joe was proven to be a severe overstep. they are now a toothless ex-dragon. couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

• Love
Reactions: Ski
I am curious how a self governing group of bodies will work out.
I will get the popcorn.

Good question. I suspect that the power five will end up looking more like a minor league to the pros. the lower divisions, who don't draw the income or NIL, will be more like what we see today.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Good question. I suspect that the power five will end up looking more like a minor league to the pros. the lower divisions, who don't draw the income or NIL, will be more like what we see today.
FBS football will soon be a super league of 4 16-team conferences (or close) with an 8-team playoff. Frankly, there are really about half that many programs that can and should compete in the top tier.

This will look more and more like the NFL from a competitive and regulatory perspective. It will be very interesting to see how fans react to that product.

the ncaa has been in a death spiral since the mess with joe was proven to be a severe overstep. they are now a toothless ex-dragon. couldn't happen to a more deserving group.

Have to agree with this. The whole organization was exposed as a sham and truly had no idea of its own charter or boundaries. The kill shot was UNC and bowing down to the cheating scandal rather than risk tarnishing a brand image. Penn State became the unfortunate sacrificial lamb of Emmert trying to show his faux power. History won't remember PSU scandal as one of majors catalysts of NCAA fall but it was.

Reactions: AvgUser

I guess Emmert has reached the point of his employment with the 'EmCAA' to get his desired retirement benefits. What a mess, as even the few with power stood by and watched this travesty of authority happen and go on for some time.

Reactions: Ski
FBS football will soon be a super league of 4 16-team conferences (or close) with an 8-team playoff. Frankly, there are really about half that many programs that can and should compete in the top tier.

This will look more and more like the NFL from a competitive and regulatory perspective. It will be very interesting to see how fans react to that product.
At what point will players not even be required to take "classes"? They get in the way.

Reactions: WestSideLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT