ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA and the way they penalize

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
I don't know if Barrett's car had dealer plates or not. Probably it's made up. But it got me thinking about the way the NCAA punishes universities for major violations. I say NO MORE vacated victories (foolish penalty, you can't undue history, we all saw Reggie win the heisman and that free truck didn't help him do it), NO MORE loss of scholarships, and NO MORE bowl bans (stop punishing future athletes for ones that are now making money in the pros).

Instead:
Show cause penalties immediately for any assistant involved, the head coach (regardless of his involvement) and the athletic director (regardless of their involvement) for at least one year. No warnings and no probation. Immediate one year bans on the first major violation. Bar the booster in question from ALL university sanctioned events, forever (that's a long time). Deal with the player as appropriate. Most likely suspension of play, but they most retain their scholarship so that the university can't just get rid of the player.

That will clean up college football real fast.

Reactions: Marshall30
I don't know if Barrett's car had dealer plates or not. Probably it's made up. But it got me thinking about the way the NCAA punishes universities for major violations. I say NO MORE vacated victories (foolish penalty, you can't undue history, we all saw Reggie win the heisman and that free truck didn't help him do it), NO MORE loss of scholarships, and NO MORE bowl bans (stop punishing future athletes for ones that are now making money in the pros).

Instead:
Show cause penalties immediately for any assistant involved, the head coach (regardless of his involvement) and the athletic director (regardless of their involvement) for at least one year. No warnings and no probation. Immediate one year bans on the first major violation. Bar the booster in question from ALL university sanctioned events, forever (that's a long time). Deal with the player as appropriate. Most likely suspension of play, but they most retain their scholarship so that the university can't just get rid of the player.

That will clean up college football real fast.
You forgot one thing...........The NCAA couldn't investigate any type of legitimate incident and come up with the correct answer. See North Carolina and the class or lack of class issues. The NCAA is about making great publicity to further their extravagant salaries, nothing more.

The NCAA's rule enforcement policy is to be completely arbitrary. Nail programs to the wall that have clean records to make you look like you are doing something and look the other way with regard to programs that have direct and indirect ties to the organization.

Simple solution to all of this: do away with the NCAA and pay the players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT