ADVERTISEMENT

Nationals in New York

...a weird story - but true ...
...the summer after I graduated from high school a friend and I decided to visit NYC for a week before heading off to college...
...we hitch hiked from Pittsburgh to New York with a back pack and sleeping bag and $20 each ...
...there was a YMCA across from Central Park with lockers that cost ten cents per day ...we slept in Central Park each night , then stashed our bags in the Y each morning and set off to explore the city in a different direction via the subway each morning...
...we got meals - mainly at the
Nickelmat - for 15 cents each meal...
...at the end of the week we packed up and hiked back home ... it was about ten years later that my parents learned the whole story...I had told them I was riding with my friend's family to spend a week visiting his aunt in New York and he relayed the same story to his parents...!
... maybe someone seeking an inexpensive week in NYC for the Nationals could follow that plan ... or not...

I love everything about this story, androcles. Thank you!

...just a couple of crazy 17 year-olds...
...never considered the risks...never even felt threatened by sleeping in the bushes of CP... or hitching rides with perfect strangers...
...sorta just like a Tom and Huckleberry adventure...
...oh, well...

...a weird story - but true ...
...the summer after I graduated from high school a friend and I decided to visit NYC for a week before heading off to college...
...we hitch hiked from Pittsburgh to New York with a back pack and sleeping bag and $20 each ...back then the PA. Turnpike only extended from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg...got to Hoboken and took ferry to lower Manhattan...
...there was a YMCA across from Central Park with lockers that cost ten cents per day ...we slept in Central Park each night , then stashed our bags in the Y each morning and set off to explore the city in a different direction via the subway - Brooklyn's Ebbets Field, Coney Island, etc....
...we got meals - mainly at the Nickelmat - for 15 cents each meal...
...at the end of the week we packed up and hiked back home ... it was about ten years later that my parents learned the whole story...I had told them I was riding with my friend's family to spend a week visiting his aunt in New York and he relayed the same story to his parents...!
... maybe someone seeking an inexpensive week in NYC for the Nationals could follow that plan ... or not...

I disbelieve this story as I don't believe androcles was ever young enough to go to high school. :D

...just a couple of crazy 17 year-olds...
...never considered the risks...never even felt threatened by sleeping in the bushes of CP... or hitching rides with perfect strangers...
...sorta just like a Tom and Huckleberry adventure...
...oh, well...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT