ADVERTISEMENT

My unsolicited take on Franklin

mgkpsu

Nov 30, 2005
I have had this opinion for several years, but elected to hold back.
Franklin will always be a middle of the pack guy, who will never win the big one at any school, for any amount of $ in salary/facilities. 8 years ago Penn State prioritized hiring a minority candidate over the best possible candidate, and likely won't fire him for the same reason, barring something egregious. Being just over .500, and thus bowl eligible is sufficient for the admin, especially while there are still so many butts in the seats. Some people are either delusional thinking that Franklin won't shit the bed every year when it matters most, and others are content with just shaking pom poms and enjoying mediocrity, but some of us will speak with our wallets by staying home.

The NCAA is a mess, and there are just different classes of teams that are more like semi-pro. Kids getting paid is nothing new to these schools, and their all-star athletes don't have to be bothered by classes and tests. So there is likely no coach that is going to come into a school like Penn State and win the whole thing without adopting that same philosophy.

So while I don't like Franklin, there's really little point in firing him, especially since any buyout would be throwing good $ after bad. But what I don't want to see is the admin continually giving into Franklin's (and O'Brien's before him) annual posturing. He is getting plenty of $, and I believe too much, so if he wants to make demands, then the University needs to call his bluff. And if another program is dumb enough to cave to his demands, then good riddance. And when the current contract expires, there should be a mutual parting of the ways, especially if the University seriously wants to take a run at winning with someone else who is actually capable of getting the job done, because it ain't gonna happen with Franklin, here, there, or anywhere!

Franklin will always be a middle of the pack guy, who will never win the big one at any school, for any amount of $ in salary/facilities. 8 years ago Penn State prioritized hiring a minority candidate over the best possible candidate, and likely won't fire him for the same reason, barring something egregious. Being just over .500, and thus bowl eligible is sufficient for the admin, especially while there are still so many butts in the seats. Some people are either delusional thinking that Franklin won't shit the bed every year when it matters most, and others are content with just shaking pom poms and enjoying mediocrity, but some of us will speak with our wallets by staying home.

The NCAA is a mess, and there are just different classes of teams that are more like semi-pro. Kids getting paid is nothing new to these schools, and their all-star athletes don't have to be bothered by classes and tests. So there is likely no coach that is going to come into a school like Penn State and win the whole thing without adopting that same philosophy.

So while I don't like Franklin, there's really little point in firing him, especially since any buyout would be throwing good $ after bad. But what I don't want to see is the admin continually giving into Franklin's (and O'Brien's before him) annual posturing. He is getting plenty of $, and I believe too much, so if he wants to make demands, then the University needs to call his bluff. And if another program is dumb enough to cave to his demands, then good riddance. And when the current contract expires, there should be a mutual parting of the ways, especially if the University seriously wants to take a run at winning with someone else who is actually capable of getting the job done, because it ain't gonna happen with Franklin, here, there, or anywhere!
Did you have to start a new thread for this?

CJF was a great candidate. Your comment about prioritizing a minority hire is patently false. And only goes to shows your stupidity.

First Franklin was a great hire with his skin color being no factor. Coming in still under the detritus of the Sandusky scandal, the sanctions, and the O’Brien departure he was a great hire. Enthusiastic, committed to the school instead of a stepping stone, great recruiter......which was critical then......great ambassador, family man, emphasizes education and class. All fantastic attributes.
He certainly has some shortcomings but hopefully he will grow and learn. This new offense is an example of his ability to learn and adapt. He has at least two more years to continue down that path if he wishes to stay.

You don't fire Franklin, you get him to quit. It's very easy to get someone to quit if you put your mind to it. I'd need to read his full contract but little things like, oh let's see: Franklin, you are no longer to be in charge of practicing. I'm putting, name your coach here, in charge of practice. Next week you should plan to be in the press box for the game as so and so will be running games from now on. etc...

I’m really tired of these dump on Franklin threads. I just hope that he takes one of those other jobs. Then we may finally have someone else to dump on. Perhaps the next guy will have a physical deformity, say like 3 fingers on one hand and 6 on the other. Now that’s the kind of stuff we can dwell on if we don’t win the BIG.

Group hug for old time's sake!
rowan-atkinson-mr-bean.gif

gloria-keep-in-touch.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT