ADVERTISEMENT

My 'Spin' on the game.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Lot has been written so I will look for some things missed by others.

1. Its appears the D was designed to stop Elliot, which makes sense as he is a legit Heisman candidate. The D ends crashed down hard at him on every read option play. Seems they wanted to take the ball out of his hands and force Jones to pass as he hasn't done too well this year.
2. Worked great for first qtr. If Gessecki catches the ball or Barkley's TD stands, we are up 10 zip. As it was we won the qtr 3-0
3. Wheels came off in 2nd qtr. OSU punter worked magic and constantly pinned us down inside of 10 yd line. Our punter sucked and gave them the ball on the wrong side of the 50. Urban saw our DEs crashing in and Jones struggling so he put in Barret to open up outside runs. And it worked.
4. Their excellent KO coverage and our suck ass punting gave them a short field multiple times so Barret stayed in......quick 21 points.
5. Two key plays;

a. They had punted and pinned us at the 6 yd line. Barkley had had a number of good runs on prior possession so we decided to trick them with a first down pass. Problem was we came out with full wide spread formation WITH NO RUNNING BACK! We basically screamed 'we are going to pass' and Hack got sacked at the 4. Killed drive, terrible punt, quick TD by OSU. Terrible play... good idea to pass but should have had a TE on one (Hosa's) side and Barkley in back field. A play fake to him to freeze the LBs, allow Barkley to block, throw deep or across middle.

b. Next series, Barkley has three good runs, we are near mid field. Again a pass on first down would be a good call.....if they fake to Barkley. Instead, Barkley comes off the field and we run a terrible half back pass option....and no receiver goes down field at all! Again, a fake to Barkley with a downfield pass woulda been a wise play, not some back yard half back pass. Killed drive, terrible punt, quick TD.

6. When Barret was in, the DEs should have tackled him every play and forced the hand off to Elliot. One play Nassib played it smart and got Barret for a loss. With Barret running so well outside, I would rather have Elliot running up the middle of our D than Barret one-on-one with our OLBs. Shoulda adjusted the D.

7. Our LBs were terrible. Bell in center is out of position as he too light and got man handled. And he isn't at full health. The OLBs were not quick enough to make a tackle and should of just stayed at the line to string out Barret all the way the sideline or come up more to force Barret to cut back into pursuit. We all knew we are thin at LB and losing the starting MLB really exposed that. The LBs were blocked pretty much whole game.

8. After Gessecki dropped the ball, Hack and OC lost confidence in him. With Carter out, we basically gave up on any TE passes.

9. Couldn't see our cover play on the tele so I don't know how the DBs played. If they played man all game like last week, that should have allowed a safety, who ever is the best tackler, to spy on Elliot whole game. Also couldn't tell if our receivers could get open at all.

Last, don't expect open tryouts to get a good punter. Easy to kick in practice but a tad different with 1000 lbs of angry men after you in front of 100,000 screaming fans, several million watching, and the game on the line. Ask the Michigan punter for explanation.

Game was very frustrating as a few changes and a little better execution would have made it a very close game. As it was we would have been down by only 7 with what 8 min left if Hack had seen Barkley wide open on the fourth down play.

I expect a good win at Maryland. We played the number one team in country pretty well in spite of drops, poor LB play, a no passing game. Should handle the Terps.

Last edited:
What's frustrating to me is donovan makes no attempt to work play-action off barkley. We run barkley non-stop til everyone in the building knows he's getting the ball, then Boom, 5 yd loss. Part of having a threat in barkley is occasionally using him as a decoy to get someone else open. How good would that have been to fake to barkley on that 3rd and 2 and hit godwin or someone on a slant. Our offensive imagination is so shallow.

What's frustrating to me is donovan makes no attempt to work play-action off barkley. We run barkley non-stop til everyone in the building knows he's getting the ball, then Boom, 5 yd loss. Part of having a threat in barkley is occasionally using him as a decoy to get someone else open. How good would that have been to fake to barkley on that 3rd and 2 and hit godwin or someone on a slant. Our offensive imagination is so shallow.
--------
That is just my point on the two plays I discussed. We should have been doing more play action with fakes to Barkley. Woulda liked to see a couple screens to him or a quick out to see him in the open field.

We need to go deep more often early in game. Even if we overthrow a couple, just make the other teams' DBs play deep. And on third and long, throw a high deep to Godwin as he seems to always get the ball. And even if Hack throws a 40-45 yd pick, that would be about 15-20 yds better than our punter. Just make sure the receivers know to make the tackle on any pick.

I think it is obvious that Barkley was never supposed to be a major part of the offense so nothing designed for him. Look at how wide open he was on that missed TD. Hack did not even look over because the play was never designed for RB out of the backfield. Simply out, Donovan needs to get his head out of his arse. This kid is a game changer and let's face it, Narduzzi is probably right about the bad play-calling.

I think it is obvious that Barkley was never supposed to be a major part of the offense so nothing designed for him. Look at how wide open he was on that missed TD. Hack did not even look over because the play was never designed for RB out of the backfield. Simply out, Donovan needs to get his head out of his arse. This kid is a game changer and let's face it, Narduzzi is probably right about the bad play-calling.

Narduzzi is talking out his ass.

Pitt is ranked 107 in passing offense right behind Penn state at 106.

Glass house indeed by a pitt coach who hasnt beat a team with a winning record or has he? I dont know and dont care much about PITT!

------
Really doesn't make a difference if it is Barkley or any other back. When the running game is kicking butt, its always wise to throw in a play action pass to keep the LBs and DBs honest. Should be in every play book.

And the running back either stays in to block or goes out as a safety valve receiver on passes. Hack just didn't look that way because he was looking down field and then at the rush to look for an escape. Hack has too much Big Ben in him and doesn't know when to get rid of the ball.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

1. Its appears the D was designed to stop Elliot, which makes sense as he is a legit Heisman candidate. The D ends crashed down hard at him on every read option play. Seems they wanted to take the ball out of his hands and force Jones to pass as he hasn't done too well this year.
2. Worked great for first qtr. If Gessecki catches the ball or Barkley's TD stands, we are up 10 zip. As it was we won the qtr 3-0
3. Wheels came off in 2nd qtr. OSU punter worked magic and constantly pinned us down inside of 10 yd line. Our punter sucked and gave them the ball on the wrong side of the 50. Urban saw our DEs crashing in and Jones struggling so he put in Barret to open up outside runs. And it worked.
4. Their excellent KO coverage and our suck ass punting gave them a short field multiple times so Barret stayed in......quick 21 points.
5. Two key plays;

a. They had punted and pinned us at the 6 yd line. Barkley had had a number of good runs on prior possession so we decided to trick them with a first down pass. Problem was we came out with full wide spread formation WITH NO RUNNING BACK! We basically screamed 'we are going to pass' and Hack got sacked at the 4. Killed drive, terrible punt, quick TD by OSU. Terrible play... good idea to pass but should have had a TE on one (Hosa's) side and Barkley in back field. A play fake to him to freeze the LBs, allow Barkley to block, throw deep or across middle.

b. Next series, Barkley has three good runs, we are near mid field. Again a pass on first down would be a good call.....if they fake to Barkley. Instead, Barkley comes off the field and we run a terrible half back pass option....and no receiver goes down field at all! Again, a fake to Barkley with a downfield pass woulda been a wise play, not some back yard half back pass. Killed drive, terrible punt, quick TD.

6. When Barret was in, the DEs should have tackled him every play and forced the hand off to Elliot. One play Nassib played it smart and got Barret for a loss. With Barret running so well outside, I would rather have Elliot running up the middle of our D than Barret one-on-one with our OLBs. Shoulda adjusted the D.

7. Our LBs were terrible. Bell in center is out of position as he too light and got man handled. And he isn't at full health. The OLBs were not quick enough to make a tackle and should of just stayed at the line to string out Barret all the way the sideline or come up more to force Barret to cut back into pursuit. We all knew we are thin at LB and losing the starting MLB really exposed that. The LBs were blocked pretty much whole game.

8. After Gessecki dropped the ball, Hack and OC lost confidence in him. With Carter out, we basically gave up on any TE passes.

9. Couldn't see our cover play on the tele so I don't know how the DBs played. If they played man all game like last week, that should have allowed a safety, who ever is the best tackler, to spy on Elliot whole game. Also couldn't tell if our receivers could get open at all.

Last, don't expect open tryouts to get a good punter. Easy to kick in practice but a tad different with 1000 lbs of angry men after you in front of 100,000 screaming fans, several million watching, and the game on the line. Ask the Michigan punter for explanation.

Game was very frustrating as a few changes and a little better execution would have made it a very close game. As it was we would have been down by only 7 with what 8 min left if Hack had seen Barkley wide open on the fourth down play.

I expect a good win at Maryland. We played the number one team in country pretty well in spite of drops, poor LB play, a no passing game. Should handle the Terps.
Agree with a lot of what u say, especially 5a

Exactly correct...and why Donovan is under attack. These are fundamental football plays and strategies. I get that this was Barkley's first game back and he really hasn't played against a marquis team yet so even they may have been surprised at SB's success. But c'mon, you've got to have a play action pass in the playbook. Same is true of both third/fourth and twos. If you are not going to hand it to him, fake it to him. Football 101.

maxresdefault.jpg

5. Two key plays;

You say the defense tried to stop Elliott. Why not try to stop all running by playing the DBs close and forcing OSU to pass? Everybody does that to PSU. Poor strategy IMO.

Agree about the empty backfield deep in our own end. That's only good if we line up and go fast to catch defense off guard. Otherwise its a dead giveaway (PSU offense doesn't do anything fast). The halfback option pass where nobody went out for a pass was sad.

Our punters were under no pressure whatsoever (except the pressure in their heads). No excuse. That said, I think we lost more field position on KOs. We couldn't return KOs past the 15 yard line.

5. Two key plays;

Great post and discussion. The one thing I'll disagree with you about is that we should handle the terps. Not saying we won't or can't, just that as presently assembled, this team cannot just show up and "handle" anyone.

Agree with everything you said. Regarding 7 and 9...this is where we miss Wartman-White...he's more athletic and could maybe have been the spy. Our LBs looked lost all night although in their defense....trying to tackle those guys is a lot harder than it looks obviously. The athletic moves that Miller and Barrett display are incredible and they are really good at making defenders look silly.

Regarding the two key plays you mentioned...I don't know why we don't run with that same set (TE and RB) and go play action either...makes no sense. Like you said, it's a give away running 5 wide. Run play action and leave the RB and TE in to block...let them slip out as short safety valves as the pocket collapses. I just don't understand the strategy.

Our punters were under no pressure whatsoever (except the pressure in their heads). No excuse. That said, I think we lost more field position on KOs. We couldn't return KOs past the 15 yard line.

A note on OSU's kickoff guy -- Jack Willoughby

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...lloughby-finish-out-college-career-ohio-state

He graduated from Duke last year, and transferred to OSU as a grad student transfer. Came to Duke on full academic scholarship, graduated with honors, had a job offer from McKinsey & Co. in NY, but wanted to play an additional year while picking up a grad school education.
After walking on at Duke, he worked with Coach Cutcliffe to become a kickoff specialist, that is with the goal of kicking it somewhere inside the 5-yard line with good height, so it would not be a touchback coming out to the 25, and often could result in the opposing team starting from inside the 20. He got very good at it while at Duke, and has carried that over to OSU -- in 7 kickoffs vs Penn State, he had no touchbacks, and PSU was only able to average 16.7 yards per return.
Willoughby was not the regular place kicker at Duke, but is now doing that job for the Buckeyes.

McSorley-Barkley read option needs to be in playbook asap. Unfortunately our golden-armed first rounder will never take a seat, no matter how horrible his play.

Reactions: TwistedChaos
McSorley-Barkley read option needs to be in playbook asap. Unfortunately our golden-armed first rounder will never take a seat, no matter how horrible his play.
And this is why Next year things will be different. I really think Franklin feels handicapped by Hackenberg. Benching him will bring out all the people who think this kid is the next Tom Brady.

Once Hackenberg is gone I dont think Franklin will hesitate to bench anyone else that is not playing well.

And this is why Next year things will be different. I really think Franklin feels handicapped by Hackenberg. Benching him will bring out all the people who think this kid is the next Tom Brady.

Once Hackenberg is gone I dont think Franklin will hesitate to bench anyone else that is not playing well.
He had an excuse when Hack got a big gash on his leg at OSU. He had an excuse when Hack got beat up at Temple. He didn't use those opportunities.

5. Two key plays;

I can understand wanting to stop Elliot, but I cannot understand not being prepared to stop a running QB, and all of the "read option", options, knowing that OSU had both Barrett and Miller available to run the play if Jones was not able to move the offense.

I can understand wanting to stop Elliot, but I cannot understand not being prepared to stop a running QB, and all of the "read option", options, knowing that OSU had both Barrett and Miller available to run the play if Jones was not able to move the offense.
Because sometimes the other guy is good. That's the case here. Our D blew up the play called any number of times on Barrett. He made it work anyway. Jones didn't--which is why Barrett will be the starter vs Rutgers.

Once Hackenberg is gone I dont think Franklin will hesitate to bench anyone else that is not playing well.[/QUOTE

I don;t give a Phuck who is QB..... where the hell was the play action. It was there....f-ing take it. On a scale of Dildo to Douche ..... Donovan is right there in the middle....half one and half the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT