ADVERTISEMENT

My Rutgers gameday experience...fans and game observations

n1tlion

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2016
My observations and experience from my second PSU-Rutgers game in Piscataway

1) glad I sent the wife to walmart before the game to get ponchos and hand warmers

2) Parking at the RAC and taking the free shuttle TO the stadium was incredibly easy and convenient two hours before game time

3) tailgating scene was pretty legit, lots of mixed RU/PSU tailgates...didn't see any negativity other than your usual "friendly" Penn State sucks banter...no big deal...impressed by the RV lot, but still doesn't hold a candle to the tailgating scene in Happy Valley

4) got into the stadium about 20 minutes before kickoff for the senior day ceremony (becuase we are classy fans), there were more PSU fans in the upper deck than Rutgers fans on the home sideline (both decks)...maybe a few thousand students at kickoff (not counting the band)

5) really thought Miles was going to take the opening kickoff to the house...that clearly didn't happen and that was the ONLY kickoff return attempt we had all day...kind of bittersweet because I was looking forward to seeing some Miles Magic

6) This game was NEVER in doubt, I had a bad feeling coming in that our offense was stagnant with some OL injuries but even though we had to settle for three first half field goals...loved going for it on 4th and goal even though we didn't convert...the way Rutgers has legitimately the WORST offense in B1G history, this was the most comfortable 9-0 lead at halftime I've ever felt

7) There is a BIG difference between North Jersey Rutgers/Giants fans and South/Central Jersey Rutgers/Eagles fans...i don't think there is such a large difference between steeler and eagles PSU fans...but Rutgers/Eagles fans seem to have a different level of "class" and it's not the good kind...I'm sure some of you will understand that analogy

8) was this the first time RU hosted a night game in November? The concessions ran out of coffee and hot chocolate by half time and the free shuttle BACK to the RAC after the game was miserable with a bit of precipitation...felt like amateur hour for hosting a B1G primetime football game...someone in line made a good point that they purposefully short changed the PSU visitors section concessions on HOT WATER

9) If the Rutgers student section wasn't already one of the most pathetic and fair weathered student sections in the conference...I have great pictures of about 500 students remaining in the student section with about 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and Rutgers only down16-0...the "F Penn State" chant every third down is simply humorous...legitimizes that they really are threatened by our success.

9a) how about the hundred or so PSU students that streamed down into the Rutgers student section in the 3rd quarter and took over with PSU chants before security ushered them out...the Nittany lion was cheering them on from that endZone and the Rutgers students that remained were giving high fives to PSU students

10) there is no reason to have 8pm games in late November...especially NOT THIS game...glad next week is 3:30...i wish the B1G would stop trying to force this rivalry and let it develop naturally IF ever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News