ADVERTISEMENT

My opinion.

Don't forget that Italy joined China's Silk Road (Belt & Road) Initiative about a year ago. This move led to extensive frequent travel between the two countries. Add to this the age of the population in Italy and their refusal to self-isolate during the initial stages of their outbreak, and this is what we have.
I thought the Italy outbreak came from Iran ... but I could be mistaken

I have a friend living in NYC. He has a fever and dry cough. He was told to just stay at home and has not been tested. He suspects that many in NYC are just like him and it is much worse there than what the numbers suggest.
Current news reports indicates that only the severely ill are being tested and all others are presumed in NYC. I think NYC and maybe San Francisco will turn out to be Italy-like in impact.

Current news reports indicates that only the severely ill are being tested and all others are presumed in NYC. I think NYC and maybe San Francisco will turn out to be Italy-like in impact.
Yes. Everyone should understand that the numbers lag reality because of the incubation period. This next week will be very telling

My observation is that people are very generous and helpful when it’s something that happens to someone else (i.e. Hurricane Katrina). But when there’s a chance it could affect them, they’re all about themselves.
I believe that sums up about 90% of bad human behavior. Very few people are malicious for the sake of being malicious. Bad behavior is usually driven by selfishness, which is driven by things such as greed, fear, vanity and more.

I saw a panel on tv that said 143 U.S. deaths the past 24 hours. Have seen multiple times recently over 100 in 24 hours, though have seen 18 in a 24 hour period recently as well. Seems inconsistent and pulling from multiple data sources.

Me too. Not terrible, just felt tired as sh!t, and some body aches. Only had this with the 2nd booster. First one was fine.

My druggist said there were very few reactions to shot #1, but a significant (25+%) number of people had 24-48 hour aches and pains to shot #2. I was lucky, no problems when I got these last summer.

I wish I could get the shingles vaccine. And I hope I live long enough to be able to get it.

I saw a panel on tv that said 143 U.S. deaths the past 24 hours. Have seen multiple times recently over 100 in 24 hours, though have seen 18 in a 24 hour period recently as well. Seems inconsistent and pulling from multiple data sources.
Over 200 in the lat 24 hours. The original post in this thread has officially not aged well. There's still a lot we don't know, but the best case scenario continues to worsen

Statistics are hard to comprehend or put in perspective. I read that about 37000 people die every year in auto accidents. That is of course more than 100 each and every day. An article I read stated that 67,000 died from the flu in 2016-17. So averaged out, almost 200 deaths per day. I certainly believe that all the precautions are warranted and it does appear that this virus has potential to far surpass those figures. I also try not to substitute my judgement for that of the medical experts. But, it does appear to me that this crisis is survivable and manageable.
The media is having a field day, scaring the living shit out of people.....evidence the run on toilet paper.

Statistics are hard to comprehend or put in perspective. I read that about 37000 people die every year in auto accidents. That is of course more than 100 each and every day. An article I read stated that 67,000 died from the flu in 2016-17. So averaged out, almost 200 deaths per day. I certainly believe that all the precautions are warranted and it does appear that this virus has potential to far surpass those figures. I also try not to substitute my judgement for that of the medical experts. But, it does appear to me that this crisis is survivable and manageable.
The media is having a field day, scaring the living shit out of people.....evidence the run on toilet paper.
Gee the flu and car accident stuff, where did we hear that? Well for one thing we do have laws for driving. Seat belts, speeding, DUI's....etc. The flu has a vaccine and also can be treated, but this doesn't have either. The media didn't mandate this shutdown. State and local governments took the lead there thankfully. The NBA, NCAA, and NHL all saw the writing on the wall thankfully and didn't act like this was a car wreck. The numbers are going to get worse before they get better and they are trying to buy time to develop a treatment or vaccine. How is it people aren't understanding that?

I saw another post today elsewhere that in the coming weeks will age as well as this OP did....well only 900 ventilators are in use today in NY so why are they asking for more. I just have to wonder where people like this are getting their information....honestly. It's as if they live in an alternate universe where the WHO and CDC are the media. Maybe they think it is a radio call sign or something.

Yea auto accidents is incredibly relevant, c'mon. :rolleyes:

Yea auto accidents is incredibly relevant, c'mon. :rolleyes:
I'm not looking for an argument. If you read my post, I'm trying to glean perspective from the statistics that are being published. There has been 1 death in the county I live in. It was a 80 year old woman with multiple health issues. On the other hand, I lost a good friend (a former asst. coach) who died in Florida age 69, but in perfect health.

Gee the flu and car accident stuff, where did we hear that? Well for one thing we do have laws for driving. Seat belts, speeding, DUI's....etc. The flu has a vaccine and also can be treated, but this doesn't have either. The media didn't mandate this shutdown. State and local governments took the lead there thankfully. The NBA, NCAA, and NHL all saw the writing on the wall thankfully and didn't act like this was a car wreck. The numbers are going to get worse before they get better and they are trying to buy time to develop a treatment or vaccine. How is it people aren't understanding that?

I saw another post today elsewhere that in the coming weeks will age as well as this OP did....well only 900 ventilators are in use today in NY so why are they asking for more. I just have to wonder where people like this are getting their information....honestly. It's as if they live in an alternate universe where the WHO and CDC are the media. Maybe they think it is a radio call sign or something.
I'm seeing 935 deaths so far and that number is likely to increase quite a bit. This is certainly a serious problem. Hopefully we get more respirators and drugs that will keep that number as low as possible.

I don't want to minimize potential deaths from coronavirus but the CDC estimates 23,000-59,000 deaths from the seasonal flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Flights are full from NYC to Florida. We need a targeted USA air travel ban NOW.

Flights are full from NYC to Florida. We need a targeted USA air travel ban NOW.
Where is the Governor of Florida? Shouldn’t the Gubna be protecting Florida’s citizens?

From what I here New Yorkers are flocking to the Poconos too.
Where is the Governor of Pennsylvania? Shouldn’t the Gubna be protecting Pennsylvania’s citizens?

The other day the FL Governor announced that passengers on all flights from the tri-state area are required to self isolate for two weeks and it's retro-active.

So we have that going for us.

Where is the Governor of Florida? Shouldn’t the Gubna be protecting Florida’s citizens?

Where is the Governor of Pennsylvania? Shouldn’t the Gubna be protecting Pennsylvania’s citizens?
PDJT wouldn't do the internal travel bans. He over-womped Desantis. I think he was wrong.

Due to a mortality rate 10x influenza, we could easily go from 150 deaths/day to 600-800 deaths/day. This could be sustained for weeks. That's the difference. Undoubtedly, as a physician in a hospital setting, COVID is much worse than influenza.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
It is confirmed. Ned from York’s opinion was dopey*

I think the only thing which has been confirmed is that people like you are rooting for deaths. It is hard to speculate why. Maybe politics? Maybe just a sick individual but there seem to be so many of you with the same agenda? As of today we have had 11 total deaths from COVID-19 in Pennsylvania. The original poster has a valid point. Vastly more people die than that daily from the flu. Is there a middle ground between destroying our economy and allowing the pandemic to spread? There has to be, but it is going to be impossible to find with people constantly fear mongering and deliberately causing panic for their own warped agenda. It’s almost like your political aims are inversely proportional to the country’s prosperity.

Reactions: Jerry and MtNittany
I think the only thing which has been confirmed is that people like you are rooting for deaths. It is hard to speculate why. Maybe politics? Maybe just a sick individual but there seem to be so many of you with the same agenda? As of today we have had 11 total deaths from COVID-19 in Pennsylvania. The original poster has a valid point. Vastly more people die than that daily from the flu. Is there a middle ground between destroying our economy and allowing the pandemic to spread? There has to be, but it is going to be impossible to find with people constantly fear mongering and deliberately causing panic for their own warped agenda. It’s almost like your political aims are inversely proportional to the country’s prosperity.
Well on a positive note Washington the first state with a diagnosis is down significantly again today in percent of new infections. Only 4 % and change. Cali is down too I believe. Also the study today showing that Covid 19 has a stable genome could be huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

EARTH TO TAHD - THIS. IS. NOT. THE. FLU.

OP’s point NOT VALID

SINCERELY,
SCIENTISTS

PS: not rooting for death... WTF

It seems to me that everyone rushing to the store in close proximity to one another touching the same products that everyone else was touching and then waiting in long lines together served by the same employee taking and giving money and receipts is also not particularly effective in limiting the spread of virus.
Finally... a voice of reason.

I'm at Total Wine and it's a busy Saturday and they are setting up tape every 6 feet apart so that customers will not be near one another. Everyone is in the same aisle (cueing up to avoid mayhem). All 4 billion of them (rolly eyes... i make the joke)... imagine my shock that not one of them is adhering to the plan and all are bunched together, breathing and spitting on one another. TW had a very good plan that went straight to shit. Thankfully, in florida, alcohol is an essential business!

Thank Good Gawwwwd Ahhhhmighty!

I stop by regularly to get my daily dose of herd immunity (and high alcoholic percentage). so far... so good!!

Agreed regarding a middle ground. There is one, and it lies somewhere between the twin insanities of business as usual on the one hand and on the other hand wrecking our economy and ruining the country.

Here's an idea: reopen businesses and let people go back to work while continuing a range of preventive actions such as working from home where possible, limiting the number of people allowed in public gatherings, taking basic social-distancing measures; and so forth.

Meanwhile, instruct people to observe various common-sense precautions, which for seniors and those with underlying conditions should involve a degree of self-quarantine. This is not the time for parties, vacations, and public merriment.

Direct intensive efforts, both precautionary and restrictive, at hard-hit areas like New York and on support to essential medical professions. This should include the emergency production of critical medical equipment and the repurposing of public facilities as necessary for medical use.

Impose mandatory 14-day quarantines for those testing positive for the virus, regardless of the severity of their symptoms.

The point is, all these things can be done without locking down entire states, throwing millions of people out of work, bankrupting thousands of businesses, and risking a 1930's-style economic depression (or worse).

Yes, I'm worried about the health of my children and grandchildren. But I'm also worried about their jobs and their future ability to support their families. So are they. It's the job of the public health experts to give advice regarding the virus. But it's the job of policy-makers to look at the big picture and decide what is best for the country.

Agreed regarding a middle ground. There is one, and it lies somewhere between the twin insanities of business as usual on the one hand and on the other hand wrecking our economy and ruining the country.

Here's an idea: reopen businesses and let people go back to work while continuing a range of preventive actions such as working from home where possible, limiting the number of people allowed in public gatherings, taking basic social-distancing measures; and so forth.

Meanwhile, instruct people to observe various common-sense precautions, which for seniors and those with underlying conditions should involve a degree of self-quarantine. This is not the time for parties, vacations, and public merriment.

Direct intensive efforts, both precautionary and restrictive, at hard-hit areas like New York and on support to essential medical professions. This should include the emergency production of critical medical equipment and the repurposing of public facilities as necessary for medical use.

Impose mandatory 14-day quarantines for those testing positive for the virus, regardless of the severity of their symptoms.

The point is, all these things can be done without locking down entire states, throwing millions of people out of work, bankrupting thousands of businesses, and risking a 1930's-style economic depression (or worse).

Yes, I'm worried about the health of my children and grandchildren. But I'm also worried about their jobs and their future ability to support their families. So are they. It's the job of the public health experts to give advice regarding the virus. But it's the job of policy-makers to look at the big picture and decide what is best for the country.
I am coming to the conclusion that those things CANNOT be done in America, with or without the government dictating shelter in place, lockdown, etc, because we the people won't do them

Don't be a dick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT