ADVERTISEMENT

My 89 year old uncle is in very bad shape with Covid 19...

CoastGuard2018

Jul 25, 2017
Great guy who has lead a great life. Multiple children and grandchildren. U.S. Navy vet who traveled the world after retiring from his second career. Remarkably recovered from cancer in his mid 30’s and has been cancer free for over 50 years. Tough SOB. Used to pick me up occasionally back in the day from college PSU at my apartment on Foster Avenue. I will always remember the great conversations on the car rides home.

Great guy who has lead a great life. Multiple children and grandchildren. U.S. Navy vet who traveled the world after retiring from his second career. Remarkably recovered from cancer in his mid 30’s and has been cancer free for over 50 years. Tough SOB. Used to pick me up occasionally back in the day from college PSU at my apartment on Foster Avenue. I will always remember the great conversations on the car rides home.
Prayer and my best to him and your family. Is he in PA?

Sounds like a special uncle.......car rides home from college...that is pretty cool for an uncle.....and the conversations must have fun.....and I can I tell that they were memorable........nice uncle/nephew relationship......and like all relationships, they have to be worked on........and since your uncle was the adult, he gets the credit.......good for both of you.......best wishes.

He sounds like a great guy. I lost my godfather (uncle) a week ago.
I regret not seeing him in the last 2 years. We talked on the phone quite often. Tough but also kind, thoughtful and nurtured those younger than him. Here is to your Uncle!

Reactions: LionJim
My brother died at 41, my brother in law died at 57, and my dad died at 68....I don’t get too upset for someone who dies at a ripe old age.
That's rough, and I'm sorry for all your losses. No one asked you to "get upset" at anything though.

Reactions: step.eng69
My brother died at 41, my brother in law died at 57, and my dad died at 68....I don’t get too upset for someone who dies at a ripe old age.

That's a bit callous. My best friend died of a brain tumor when we were 15. That doesn't mean I don't feel sympathy when someone else's loved one passes much later at 41. I get what you're saying, but it's still a painful loss for those that loved the person, no matter the age.

That's a bit callous. My best friend died of a brain tumor when we were 15. That doesn't mean I don't feel sympathy when someone else's loved one passes much later at 41. I get what you're saying, but it's still a painful loss for those that loved the person, no matter the age.
I didn’t say I don’t get upset about people who die that are relatively young or a bit older than who I’ve lost. I said I don’t get too upset about people who die at a ripe old age....anyone over 75 or 80 has lived a good life and should consider themselves lucky.

Reactions: Spydersgirl
That's rough, and I'm sorry for all your losses. No one asked you to "get upset" at anything though.
I didn’t say anyone asked me to get upset, I just said I don’t get upset. Let’s keep life in perspective...everyone is going to die so if someone dies in old age, the world shouldn’t mourn too much, they should celebrate that the person lived that long.

+100.

Reactions: step.eng69
I didn’t say I don’t get upset about people who die that are relatively young or a bit older than who I’ve lost. I said I don’t get too upset about people who die at a ripe old age....anyone over 75 or 80 has lived a good life and should consider themselves lucky.
Yeah, I understood you the first time. I’m sure the ones who specifically replied to your post understood it too.

Yeah, I understood you the first time. I’m sure the ones who specifically replied to your post understood it too.
Doesn’t seem like it....seems like I’m a bad guy for stating the obvious.

I didn’t say anyone asked me to get upset, I just said I don’t get upset. Let’s keep life in perspective...everyone is going to die so if someone dies in old age, the world shouldn’t mourn too much, they should celebrate that the person lived that long.
All good - just pointing out the optics - if you care.

All good - just pointing out the optics - if you care.
I don’t think the optics of me saying someone who’s lived a long life should be celebrated for making it that far are bad. My mom’s 80 and in great shape with longevity in her family. She’s already outlived her oldest son and the rest of her family besides me....she does not want to outlive anyone else and if something happened to her tomorrow she would be grateful for the long life she’s had.

Reactions: Spydersgirl
Absolutely didn’t mean anything negative....I just meant he’s had a good life and it should be celebrated.

I accept what you're saying you meant. I do think it would've been magnitudes better to say what you meant then - that people who die old "had a good life and it should be celebrated" - instead of a phrase which most will interpret much differently, "I don’t get too upset for someone who dies at a ripe old age." But, who am I to tell you how to talk.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT