ADVERTISEMENT

My 2 cents on today's game

PSUMichFan

Jan 2, 2003
The commentators called our team encouraging. Let’s go with that for now. Also I am not going to claim Kent State is a lot better than expected ( I have no idea how they will pan out in the MAC) and not going to use the argument we showed our Vanilla offense to keep our good stuff for the upcoming games.

1) I am not a fan of the offensive scheme in regards to the running game. I don’t think it gives Barkley enough time to get up to speed and get through the holes quicker. He basically has to start out from a still position. In addition our short yardage game out of this scheme will suffer. Can we line up and grind out a 4th and 1???

2) Trace is going to get hurt running the amount of times he had too today.

3) Loved the hit during the kick-off by our kicker. That was awesome.

4) I would love to say our Defense won the game but it was noted Kent State’s offense struggled last year like Penn States. I was encouraged by some of the plays they made - 7 sacks!!!

5) We finally have a decent punting game.

6) Trick plays – we got burned. The defense had no idea what to do on that play where most of the offensive line lined up off to the side. I noted on that play the center went out for a pass. I guess that was legal????

7) Decent Field Goals and kick offs today.

8) What the heck was Franklin thinking about going for 2!!!!

9) Jury is out for me on Moorhead’s offense. I suspect it may need more time to gel. Kent State seemed to contain Barkley most of the day. Not sure again if it is our O-line or just a decent Kent State Defense.

10) Trace has an average arm, as most everyone noted, and not the Cannon for the long ball. Loved the TD at the end of the game but again the ball was slightly short.

11) Offensive line – Wow – at times they pass protected well and opened some holes and then just fell apart at other times. (We have to clean some things up on both sides of the ball)

12) 51 Freshmen on the team!

Reactions: psu00
The commentators called our team encouraging. Let’s go with that for now. Also I am not going to claim Kent State is a lot better than expected ( I have no idea how they will pan out in the MAC) and not going to use the argument we showed our Vanilla offense to keep our good stuff for the upcoming games.

1) I am not a fan of the offensive scheme in regards to the running game. I don’t think it gives Barkley enough time to get up to speed and get through the holes quicker. He basically has to start out from a still position. In addition our short yardage game out of this scheme will suffer. Can we line up and grind out a 4th and 1???

4) I would love to say our Defense won the game but it was noted Kent State’s offense struggled last year like Penn States. I was encouraged by some of the plays they made - 7 sacks!!!

6) Trick plays – we got burned. The defense had no idea what to do on that play where most of the offensive line lined up off to the side. I noted on that play the center went out for a pass. I guess that was legal????

9) Jury is out for me on Moorhead’s offense. I suspect it may need more time to gel. Kent State seemed to contain Barkley most of the day. Not sure again if it is our O-line or just a decent Kent State Defense.

10) Trace has an average arm, as most everyone noted, and not the Cannon for the long ball. Loved the TD at the end of the game but again the ball was slightly short.

11) Offensive line – Wow – at times they pass protected well and opened some holes and then just fell apart at other times. (We have to clean some things up on both sides of the ball)

Kent 0 points in 2nd half! Most important stat. Like the team speed and 7 sacks.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Running the option every play IMO is not ideal for thoroughbred backs like Barkley - he doesn't know if he's getting the ball on option plays, right? IMO, that's less desirable than him knowing for sure where he can focus on running the ball and not on what happens if he doesn't get the ball. O'Brien's offense was the best I've seen (scheme-wise) at Penn State since I've been watching. If he had the talent, he would have blown the doors off people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a generally positive performance across the board- but I am worried about the inability to throw long- at some point that's going to be costly, I'm afraid.

I thought it was a generally positive performance across the board- but I am worried about the inability to throw long- at some point that's going to be costly, I'm afraid.
Stevens is an option if needed. JF knows the game....he will do what is needed when needed. Hope jake is ready to go too.

Kudos to the special team.

Simply, you call a time out in that situation. If coach does not, D team captain does.

1). Could be a legitimate concern but I think that will work itself out and they will have small additions (plays / formations). I think a great back can have great stats in this offense and that we will see some great days from SB.

2) the defensive scheme caused TM to pull the ball more than to give it to SB. This means that the QB will run more than maybe you'd like but as we saw TM was rather successful with his runs.

3) Defense overall played well made some plays, sacks and pick6. Obvious I the trick plays got them that needs to be fixed. The special formation like another poster said, call a time out and adjust.

4) kicker making tackle, nice hit it he's not supposed to be the making tackles

5) Punter yes awesome day. You always take your great punters kickers long snappers for granted until you don't have a great one.

6) trick plays. Formation. In that special formation the "center" was an eligible receiver with because he had an eligible number and he was the end man on the line of scrimmage like a TE or Split End. So he can snap the Balkans go out and receive the pass. There was / were 1 or 2 receivers in the backfield. Still allows him to go out on a route.

7) Yes the Kicks part of special teams looked much better overall.

8) I didn't have a problem with this, and was roasted for it in the game thread. My point was it was our first score early in the game in the first qtr so why not. We should have had the game in hand much earlier, but in general I believe that it didn't really hurt us so why not. I did have a problem with not kicking the FG in the 3rd qtr. My point is the "time" of the game that the decision was made.

9) I like the offense, I do think that they stayed Vanilla today and basic, and maybe they should have had more in for today. But what I saw was that they didn't even utilize all of their "speeds" today or some of their "answer" plays such as screen package and other stuff.

10) TMs arm, straight drop backs and throw deeps are his strong suit. The big plays from the passing game are supposed to come off the play action. Those plays are supposed to help with we separation because of the DB freezing on the action. So getting the run game going more will help the PAPasses.

11) I think the OL was better, I think they will improve with the more live reps they get. But with newer OL and maybe avg older lineman may mean that they will continue to be hit and miss. Hopefully it will continue to gel.

I think we should give Kent St some credit, they looked rather decent on offense and at least have a number of pretty decent players on defense to be very solid like their def last year. I think their CBs are pretty good obviously not the best that we will see. So that's a concern. But at the same time we will play some teams that will have different schemes than what ksu used today.

Simply, you call a time out in that situation. If coach does not, D team captain does.

Exactly. And that will be the coaching lesson learned to the team this week.

Exactly. And that will be the coaching lesson learned to the team this week.

Hopefully because I expect to see Pitt try it once just to see how PSU reacts to it. Also need to stress this week that the defensive ends need to keep containment and proper tackling.

They say the best improvement is between games 1 and 2. We will see. ;)

Psu will not see different defensive schemes. It will be the same all yr. Load box man to man see what offense can do. Thus far, offense didnt react well. I thought Donovan was canned for this. More of the same.

I think if the pass is completed behind the line it's legal.

Psu will not see different defensive schemes. It will be the same all yr. Load box man to man see what offense can do. Thus far, offense didnt react well. I thought Donovan was canned for this. More of the same.
Last time I checked, the offense put up a decent number of points against a defense that last year was ranked 26th nationally, so...

I know we're all focused on the mistakes and things we didn't do well, but too many people were expecting we'd look like Ohio State or Bama in the first game. Give it some time. How many sacks did we give up in last year's Temple game? How many did we give up this yesterday?

If you didn't watch the game, and just looked at the stat lines for the offense and the defense, you'd more than likely be happy. If not for the bizarre failed 2 point conversion, we won by 3 touchdowns. It's a new offense, it's going to need some time to gel. CHILLAX.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT