ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple fatalities in PA turnpike crash

republion

Mar 24, 2009
Multiple people were killed in a [URL='https://www.foxnews.com/category/us/disasters/transportation']major crash involving a tour bus, semi-trucks, and several other vehicles on the Pennsylvania Turnpike early Sunday in the western part of the state that left dozens injured, according to officials.

The crash happened around 3:30 a.m. Sunday in the highway's westbound lanes in Mount Pleasant Township, located about 40 miles southeast of downtown Pittsburgh.

click below to continue reading.
[/URL]
https://www.foxnews.com/us/pennsylvania-turnpike-crash-multiple-dead-tour-bus-semi-trucks

Last edited:
That is horrible news

that is pretty much the only vehicles on the road at that hour, any accident will have heavy tolls

sorry for those lost, horrible

Reactions: psu00
Update; Five were killed, 60 hospitalized, several in critical condition but expected to survive. Few had spinal cord injuries. Bus was enroute from Chinatown NYC to Cincinnati. Most were Asians and many don't speak English. Most were separated from their passports/IDs that were in luggage compartments so treating them was difficult.

Roads were wet but not icy. Witnesses said buss was speeding into a sharp curve. Hit by three tractor trailers after over turning.

Yea it was pretty bad. They had 100 miles of the pike closed in both directions.

The majority of the turnpike west of Breezewood is not good. Narrow lanes, too many sharp turns. It's getting better with the expansion and reconstruction projects but not there yet.

The majority of the turnpike west of Breezewood is not good. Narrow lanes, too many sharp turns. It's getting better with the expansion and reconstruction projects but not there yet.

They have already "staightened" many of the curves out from Bedford to Somerset.
Seems like they've been "widening" it to 3 lanes for 20+ years. LOL.
If all the toll money wouldn't go "missing" cough, cough SEPTA, cough, cough maybe they could have it done by now. :rolleyes:
And tolls just went up again the first of the year.

Much of the TP is sub-standard road...and yet we're charged exorbitant prices for the privilege of driving on it ($65 from Ohio to NJ...cash price). Is there any other state with such insane prices? The original plan was for the toll booths to come out after the initial investment was paid off. But hey, at least we have the most expensive gas in the NE, and top 10 in the nation b/c of all the taxes.

Much of the TP is sub-standard road...and yet we're charged exorbitant prices for the privilege of driving on it ($65 from Ohio to NJ...cash price). Is there any other state with such insane prices? The original plan was for the toll booths to come out after the initial investment was paid off. But hey, at least we have the most expensive gas in the NE, and top 10 in the nation b/c of all the taxes.
Problem with the tolls is that our esteemed state legislature passed a law ten years ago that required the TP Commission to give $450 million per yr for ten years to the state to allocate for transportation use as the state sees fit. This put the TP is serious debt and is why tolls are going up and will continue to do so.

Gripe to your state reps to get anything changed....but they never will.

Terrible news. Having driven a fair amount on this road, I can’t say I am surprised. The road was not designed for the speeds and the volume of large vehicle traffic it now sees.

Much to blame also is horrible management by the TP. Nepotism, favoritism, graft and corrupt business practices have had extraordinary negative impact on their fiscal condition. I once heard an account that their maintenance team when they receive a work order for repair send out a crew of 3 or 4 mechanics to assess the problem (could be 80 miles from the shop) they then return with materials needed to make the repairs. Meanwhile, the same repair might have been needed another mile down the road and the process gets repeated. You couldn’t invent a more inefficient, less cost effective system if you wanted to.

Much of the TP is sub-standard road...and yet we're charged exorbitant prices for the privilege of driving on it ($65 from Ohio to NJ...cash price). Is there any other state with such insane prices?...
Wow. The FL Turnpike is 140 miles longer and the max charge is less than $20 on sunpass.

They have already "staightened" many of the curves out from Bedford to Somerset.
Seems like they've been "widening" it to 3 lanes for 20+ years. LOL.
If all the toll money wouldn't go "missing" cough, cough SEPTA, cough, cough maybe they could have it done by now. :rolleyes:
And tolls just went up again the first of the year.
I haven't been on the Bedford to Somerset section in years. Most of my experiences are from Bedford-eastbound and Somerset-westbound. The TP section between Bedford and Breezewood is awful. I take 30 to Breezewood since it's now a much nicer road.

Unless I'm traveling to the Philly area and not for work, I just avoid it as much as possible. High costs, terrible rest stops and food options are a killer for me.

From Lilly, I usually take I99/322 to Harrisburg. It's not a bad road overall, fairly scenic, and doesn't add a significant amount of time to get there compared to the TP.

Reactions: BBrown
I don’t recall the exact amounts, but the tolls on 95 around DC are brutal. When traveling south from Delaware into Maryland you get slammed by 3 tool booths in about 20 miles and I recall the tolls being at least 12-15 bucks (goes up at rush hour). South of DC has some major tolls if you wish to use the special lane on 95.

For total expenditure however not sure anything beats the 65 bucks to cross the state on the pike.

Reactions: Sharkies
Thanks - just read up on this a bit. Typical Harrisburg, the scheme was hatched when they thought they could toll I-80 (which Feds shut down), so they just further burden the TP. Of course, the $ goes to Philly and Pgh (Central PA really needs to secede):

"Of the $450 million the Turnpike Commission gives PennDot, $232 million goes to SEPTA, which serves the Philadelphia area, and $76 million to the Port Authority of Allegheny County, which serves the Pittsburgh area."https://www.inquirer.com/news/penns...on-eugene-depasquale-tolls-debt-20190321.html
Can't say our esteemed legislators are stupid. They know very few people will know why the tolls are so high and just complain about the TPC and the state leg gets $450 mil and no blame.

Corrupt as hell for sure...but not stupid.

Reactions: Sharkies
$65 You must be shitting me.

They get away with it because the turnpike isn’t really used as a commuter road in central PA. You really only get on the turnpike if you’re heading to Philly or Pittsburgh. It’s not a road people use for daily commutes in everyday life so most don’t follow or complain of rate increases because they rarely use it.

In the Philly region it’s used more as a commuter road but if you’re just going 2-3 exits away there it’s not as shocking and with EZ pass most don’t think about it since they don’t have to shell out cash every time they use it.

Reactions: odshowtime
They get away with it because the turnpike isn’t really used as a commuter road in central PA. You really only get on the turnpike if you’re heading to Philly or Pittsburgh. It’s not a road people use for daily commutes in everyday life so most don’t follow or complain of rate increases because they rarely use it.

In the Philly region it’s used more as a commuter road but if you’re just going 2-3 exits away there it’s not as shocking and with EZ pass most don’t think about it since they don’t have to shell out cash every time they use it.
In Pittsburgh, it’s free between Cranberry and the Beaver Falls (Route 18) exit. This was done to alleviate commuter traffic on the side roads.

In Pittsburgh, it’s free between Cranberry and the Beaver Falls (Route 18) exit. This was done to alleviate commuter traffic on the side roads.

Ziggy

It's actually free into Ohio. in fact, it's only free if you travel westbound because they jacked up the toll at the Ohio/Pa state line to account for making it "free" westbound.

I believe that the rationale was that if you were heading westbound escaping Pennsylvania, eventually you will return eastbound. depending on how much of a hurry you are in, there are ways to beat the eastbound toll. I try to beat that toll every chance I get.

Ziggy

It's actually free into Ohio. in fact, it's only free if you travel westbound because they jacked up the toll at the Ohio/Pa state line to account for making it "free" westbound.

I believe that the rationale was that if you were heading westbound escaping Pennsylvania, eventually you will return eastbound. depending on how much of a hurry you are in, there are ways to beat the eastbound toll. I try to beat that toll every chance I get.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I didn’t want to type that much on my iPad! Nevertheless, it’s free both ways between Beaver Falls and Cranberry.

Reactions: MrDibbs
I’ll argue, as well, that the turnpike also blows a whole load of money on its own projects that are totally unnecessary. Here in Pittsburgh, they’re spending billions of dollars to build a highway connecting Pittsburgh’s airport to a business park south of the city...when it only takes a half hour (in traffic) to go from the business park to the airport with the highways that currently exist. It’s a totally unnecessary project that very few people will use when completed, but it’s being built anyway.

There’s also a real question if there’s an actual safety or traffic need to widen the turnpike to three lanes in both directions for the entire route. I have driven the turnpike quite a bit, and very rarely (major holidays, mostly) do I ever encounter traffic heavy enough between Pittsburgh and the Harrisburg area to justify three travel lanes. This accident happened on a scary part of road and appears to be driver error on the part of the tour bus, but three lanes of travel wouldn’t have changed a thing.

All of this would be solved, of course, if the Turnpike Commission was simply absorbed by PennDOT - but that would be too simple of a solution.

I’ll argue, as well, that the turnpike also blows a whole load of money on its own projects that are totally unnecessary. Here in Pittsburgh, they’re spending billions of dollars to build a highway connecting Pittsburgh’s airport to a business park south of the city...when it only takes a half hour (in traffic) to go from the business park to the airport with the highways that currently exist. It’s a totally unnecessary project that very few people will use when completed, but it’s being built anyway.

There’s also a real question if there’s an actual safety or traffic need to widen the turnpike to three lanes in both directions for the entire route. I have driven the turnpike quite a bit, and very rarely (major holidays, mostly) do I ever encounter traffic heavy enough between Pittsburgh and the Harrisburg area to justify three travel lanes. This accident happened on a scary part of road and appears to be driver error on the part of the tour bus, but three lanes of travel wouldn’t have changed a thing.

All of this would be solved, of course, if the Turnpike Commission was simply absorbed by PennDOT - but that would be too simple of a solution.

I'll disagree with you, somewhat, on the 3 lanes from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. Its not good around Breezewood on a normal Weekend throw in Thanksgiving and or Christmas and its a complete disaster.
Not sure who I would pick between The Turnpike Commission or Penn Dot...maybe Iran. ;)

Reactions: Madsol
I'll disagree with you, somewhat, on the 3 lanes from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh. Its not good around Breezewood on a normal Weekend throw in Thanksgiving and or Christmas and its a complete disaster.
Not sure who I would pick between The Turnpike Commission or Penn Dot...maybe Iran. ;)

We travel between Gettysburg Pike (exit 236) and Bedford (exit 146) with some regularity. The stretch between Breezewood and Bedford is often not good. The roadway itself is windy and hilly. Then you add in the increased traffic from I-70. It's a real mess. I would imagima the stretch from Bedford to New Stanton where I-70 breaks off is similar.

We travel between Gettysburg Pike (exit 236) and Bedford (exit 146) with some regularity. The stretch between Breezewood and Bedford is often not good. The roadway itself is windy and hilly. Then you add in the increased traffic from I-70. It's a real mess. I would imagima the stretch from Bedford to New Stanton where I-70 breaks off is similar.

Like you said once you get past Bedford its better, as long as its not Nov-April when your driving past the Somerset exit.:D
If its decent weather I will often take 30 and 31 to Somerset but going over White Horse Mt., in good weather, can be iffy at times.
But its a much nicer drive, even if it does take a little longer.

Reactions: Madsol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT