ADVERTISEMENT

Most of the long Auburn QB scrambles resulted from the DL losing "gap discipline" straight up the middle.

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
Not just the long runs either, the Auburn QB threatened a run several times by stepping up in the pocket - absolutely no one there for PSU in the middle - he put our DBs in a "pickle in the middle" situation for easy completions as the DBs just couldn't keep running straight downfield when they were the only defenders in front of Auburn QB.

I didn't see it happen in the 2nd half, so I wonder if it wasn't a topic of discussion at halftime.

From what I could tell, on Auburn's situations of 3rd and long, PSU had their safeties way off the line of scrimmage and not able to make plays. Gary Danielson (not one of my favorite commentators for sure) called it a prevent defense that didn't work.

Seemed to be corrected in the 2nd half.

Most of Auburn's big plays, even passes, were losing assignment and giving the QB space straight ahead to run or come free and then look for a receiver. Some of the runs were on blitz packages where the secondary defenders were playing man and not eyeing the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT