ADVERTISEMENT

Most depressing movie of all time?

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
What movie left you just beaten down by how depressing it was?

I nominate On the Beach from 1959
iu

"This is how the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper"

Last man on earth - I don't remember the lead actor - I can picture him but can't think of his name. Deep voice, tall very dark hair (mostly late 50' early 60' star -Just remembered it was Vincent Price.

Last edited:
Reactions: lb lion and brupsu
1985 Russian movie, Come and See. You can find it on YouTube with English sub-titles. It takes place in Belarus during the war. I won't say anything more but what it depicts happened far too many times. For a frame of reference, think of Lidice, CZ in the aftermath of Heydrich's assassination. What happened there took place more than 600 times in Belarus. It is a good movie but very brutal.

"Ordinary People" makes the list, but nothing tops "The Sweet Hereafter."

I second "The Sweet Hereafter". Great movie, and will never watch again because of how depressing it is.

I also throw out "City of God", the Brazilian movie about child gangs. It is so sad knowing while not a documentary, the director based it on his experiences. So tough to watch. I leant my father the movie and he said it was just too hard to watch and couldn't finish it. This from a person who recommend movies like "The Deer Hunter" and "Deliverance" to me to watch as a young teen.

I have two:

1984 (the version actually shot on location in 1984)
Manchester by the Sea

Both are excellent, BTW.

Reactions: Nittany_93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT