ADVERTISEMENT

More Trouble Brewing in Ann Arbor?

Wow. the Washington Post says an outside firm found evidence and turned it over to the NCAA. This included documents and video evidence that the coaches accessed. This would mean that the entire staff knew and participated.

Secondly, there are reports that Michigan helped other teams in order to "impede the playoff path" of teams UM didn't want to have in the playoffs. I am not sure I believe this one but if true, wow!

"Among the pieces of evidence the outside law firm presented was a detailed schedule of Michigan’s planned sign-stealing travel for the rest of this season, which games Michigan scouts would attend, and how much money was budgeted for travel and tickets."

If this law firm says they helped other teams than is it highly probable. And if true and accurate, this would the biggest cheating scandal since the Black Sox deal. Perhaps some criminal charges like fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud. And all schools involved should sue for damages.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittpsu and PSU2UNC
If this law firm says they helped other teams than is it highly probable. And if true and accurate, this would the biggest cheating scandal since the Black Sox deal. Perhaps some criminal charges like fraud and conspiracy to commit commit fraud. And all schools involved should sue for damages.
They made a pretty decent move about the Black Sox’s scandal. If they make one about this, Jimmy should push for Brad Pitt to play him. You know like a fantasy dream thing.

Personally I believe that the BIG 10 should take immediate action. We are talking about the integrity of the entire league, with it's highest revenue generating sport and it's national perception. If they take a 'nothing to see here' attitude, it's not a good look when you're courting teams like Notre Dame, along with the newly added PAC 12 teams.
They won't do anything fast. If they do something it will be right before the Big Game with the Big 2. They won't play it and cancel the B10 championship game then announce scUM and OSU are co-champs. The goal would be for both to get a playoff berth.

Seriously, I can see this fading away to nothing as Harbaugh and scUM weasel out of it.

They won't do anything fast. If they do something it will be right before the Big Game with the Big 2. They won't play it and cancel the B10 championship game then announce scUM and OSU are co-champs. The goal would be for both to get a playoff berth.

Seriously, I can see this fading away to nothing as Harbaugh and scUM weasel out of it.

The committee would see through that and exclude Michigan from the playoff barring a dearth of 0/1 loss teams.

Unless there's no punishment and they just push out Harbaugh.
I'm not sure why everyone seems to think there's going to be major or even real sanctions. Ask yourself when is the last time the NCAA did anything.
If the allegations are true there should be real sanctions but no one actually wants that. It doesn't benefit the NCAA or Big Ten. The NCAA is terrified that if they show any authority they'll cease to exist...at least in football
I think everyone in the Big Ten does want something done. All the other coaches are apparently (and understandably) furious.

As for the NCAA, I think they need to do something to reassert themselves. This is the perfect platform for them (right or wrong) to drop the hammer, kind of like the did (wrongly) with PSU to try to make themselves more relevant.

I think everyone in the Big Ten does want something done. All the other coaches are apparently (and understandably) furious.

As for the NCAA, I think they need to do something to reassert themselves. This is the perfect platform for them (right or wrong) to drop the hammer, kind of like the did (wrongly) with PSU to try to make themselves more relevant.
Our first play, assuming Jimmah is still there, should be a power sweep with the entire team taking him and whole coaching staff out. 🧹

The thing is, this isn't just the big ten. If the leaks are true then this involves schools in multiple conferences as well, then you add in all the gambling impacts and there are furious people everywhere.

Reactions: bison13 and PSU2UNC

I don't think that's true because then it can be done to them. Coaches aren't who matters here. It's the ADs.
We disagree. I think the NCAA needs to die so I hope they do something here because the next time they take action against anyone, and they know this, you'll see conference withdraw. There's too much money in football to allow the NCAA any power.
And when you say "drop the hammer" what are you thinking? We know it won't be anything remotely close to what we got, right?

I like that. First chance we get at a play close to their sideline go head hunting for Jimmah. Sorry coach, you know it is a rough sport and things get dicey on the sidelines.
This could escalate quickly. There’s several posters here that would hope UM retaliates and takes out Franklin on the next series of downs.

This could escalate quickly. There’s several posters here that would hope UM retaliates and takes out Franklin on the next series of downs.
Hmmm, well that is an interesting thought...if the first half goes like the OSU debacle then a plan could be hatched.

So, the current rumor is that UM provided South Carolina information on Tennessee (whom they scouted) with the hopes SC would win and knock Tenn out, which is what happened. Apparently, the SC DC was on Harbaugh's staff in a prior life.

Reactions: bison13
I’ve got a modest proposal for UM’s penalty:

1. Void all wins this year
2. Forfeits for the rest of the year
3. Related to #2, UM must make their opponents, TV partners, the league and other financial partners affected by the loss of gate receipts, concessions, TV ad losses, etc financially whole.

All of this seems fair

3. Related to #2, UM must make their opponents, TV partners, the league and other financial partners affected by the loss of gate receipts, concessions, TV ad losses, etc financially whole.

All of this seems fair
This hurts us this year--I hope everyone knows that
Zero chance 3 happens--probably any because it won't happen that quickly
Not opposed to it other than it hurting us

All of this seems fair
You have watched the ncaa work before. What are the chances that would happen?

I don't think that's true because then it can be done to them. Coaches aren't who matters here. It's the ADs.
If you don't think the ADs at most (all) Big Ten schools either de facto "report to" or "strongly value the opinion of" the football coach, I have prime swampland to sell out outside of Ocala.
We disagree. I think the NCAA needs to die
I would like to see the NCAA replaced with something better. There still needs to be a governing body and figuring out what that looks like isn't an easy task.
so I hope they do something here because the next time they take action against anyone, and they know this, you'll see conference withdraw.
Wait, you think if the NCAA punishes michigan that the Big Ten will withdraw from the NCAA? 🤣🤣🤣 13 teams will celebrate and one team will cry themselves to sleep.
There's too much money in football to allow the NCAA any power.
And yet, they have power. And have for a long time.
And when you say "drop the hammer" what are you thinking? We know it won't be anything remotely close to what we got, right?
Apples and oranges. The NCAA did not come up with PSU's punishments. PSU did.

I would suggest forfeiture (not vacating) all wins dating back to the first evidence of this cheating scheme, a 3 year post-season ban (starting this year), 5 scholarship reductions per year and a "show cause" for Harbaugh plus any other coaches who can be shown to have known.

Reactions: Psubiomed
If you don't think the ADs at most (all) Big Ten schools either de facto "report to" or "strongly value the opinion of" the football coach, I have prime swampland to sell out outside of Ocala.

I would like to see the NCAA replaced with something better. There still needs to be a governing body and figuring out what that looks like isn't an easy task.

Wait, you think if the NCAA punishes michigan that the Big Ten will withdraw from the NCAA? 🤣🤣🤣 13 teams will celebrate and one team will cry themselves to sleep.

I would suggest forfeiture (not vacating) all wins dating back to the first evidence of this cheating scheme, a 3 year post-season ban (starting this year), 5 scholarship reductions per year and a "show cause" for Harbaugh plus any other coaches who can be shown to have known.
On your last point and this is just my opinion. I think you are going to be very disappointed in the outcome because I don’t think it will be anything close to that. Just my opinion and you could end up being right in the end but I don’t see it.

Reactions: LandoComando

No I don't think most ADs want anyone pushed until a full investigation is completed and they can respond
We agree about replacing the NCAA with something better
Yes, the SEC and Big Ten are going to leave the first chance they get IMO and anything that enables that they'll use including the NCAA sanctioning a team
We disagree on them having power
I wouldn't be opposed to those sanctions after an investigation but I don't believe that's realistic. There won't be a postseason ban. $$$

So, the current rumor is that UM provided South Carolina information on Tennessee (whom they scouted) with the hopes SC would win and knock Tenn out, which is what happened. Apparently, the SC DC was on Harbaugh's staff in a prior life.

63-38 feels more reasonable now. If true, that's a dramatic impact.

On your last point and this is just my opinion. I think you are going to be very disappointed in the outcome because I don’t think it will be anything close to that. Just my opinion and you could end up being right in the end but I don’t see it.
Same--it's not that I don't want sanctions. I'm just being realistic about what is going to happen. We need to use what has happened in the past and how that will impact the future.

My guess is that it won't be that bad, but a post-season ban, at least for this year is certainly warranted.

Reactions: Westcoast24
No I don't think most ADs want anyone pushed until a full investigation is completed and they can respond
Why do other ADs want to protect Michigan? They do not.
We agree about replacing the NCAA with something better
I don't think anyone is a fan of the NCAA.
Yes, the SEC and Big Ten are going to leave the first chance they get IMO and anything that enables that they'll use including the NCAA sanctioning a team
I don't think the Big Ten leaves until there is a realistic alternative that has been carefully articulated.
We disagree on them having power
Well, member institutions have to listen to them (e.g. JMU not being bowl eligble this year) then they de facto have power. So one of us is correct and one of us is wrong.
I wouldn't be opposed to those sanctions after an investigation but I don't believe that's realistic. There won't be a postseason ban. $$$
The $$ involved in the post-season do not drastically decrease (if at all) if Michigan is sitting at home. Unless you are suggesting that Michigan is going to bribe the NCAA (or more realistically the Big Ten, since I think that is who will levy the first sanctions).

Why do other ADs want to protect Michigan? They do not.

I don't think anyone is a fan of the NCAA.

I don't think the Big Ten leaves until there is a realistic alternative that has been carefully articulated.

Well, member institutions have to listen to them (e.g. JMU not being bowl eligble this year) then they de facto have power. So one of us is correct and one of us is wrong.

The $$ involved in the post-season do not drastically decrease (if at all) if Michigan is sitting at home. Unless you are suggesting that Michigan is going to bribe the NCAA (or more realistically the Big Ten, since I think that is who will levy the first sanctions).
It's protecting themselves not Michigan
I think the Big Ten can't wait to leave
JMU agreed to that when they moved up--had they fought it we'd have a different outcome. That's not real power
Michigan is huge in terms of money for the NCAA in general--they won't do anything drastic to them
People here claim constantly the Big Ten caters to Michigan and Ohio State but now you believe they're going to act before the NCAA even completes and investigation? I just don't see the logic there.

Lando just got taken to the woodshed and beaten like a red headed step child.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT