ADVERTISEMENT

More Trouble Brewing in Ann Arbor?

I listened to Jeff Logan, former OSU running back, (who has been credible to me) and sports commenter on the radio today. He said that it was so serious that the Big Ten told Michigan State that they didn't have to play tomorrow's game. Rece Davis at 1:15 said that if Michigan did it, it was beyond the pale and was cheating and that Michigan would deserve punishment.

This did make me think of how coaches from beyond the south (west, northeast, midwest) rarely find success in the SEC (and I'd include Clemson and FSU by extension).
  • Saban is one (MSU to LSU).
  • Urban Meyer at Florida is another.
  • Lane Kiffin is interesting since Tennessee was a blip, he did the OC work at Bama, then Florida Int'l before Ole Miss.
  • Bielema failed at Arkansas
  • Leach at Miss State was okay. He didnt elevate them.
  • McElwain at Florida was a fail.
  • Morehead was middling at Miss State as well.
I'm sure there are loads of others but you get my point.

I wonder -- has there been a coach from SEC country whose gone on to Pac12, B10, ACC and found great success? I'm sure there are but my mind draws a blank. Dan Lanning? But maybe its too early for that one.

james-franklin-confused.jpg

The examples WERE for the opposite point. The question answered is at the end of his post. You basically agreed with my point but argued about it? Lol
Fair enough, I guess it depends on your definition of great success--hopefully we take a step closer to having that tomorrow (or later today)

Reactions: gamblepsu
Of course the investigation is still pending, but the following actions seem appropriate:

All wins for past 13 years vacated
$60 million fine
4 year post-season ban
Loss of bowl-sharing revenues for 3 years
Reduction in scholarships from 25 to 15 for 4 years
5 year probation

Yeah, that oughta do it.

Of course the investigation is still pending, but the following actions seem appropriate:

$60 million fine
4 year post-season ban
5 year probation

Yeah, that oughta do it.
Yeah we'll see if they're dumb enough to sign off on that

Good point re: evidence, although it is certainly possible that the Big Ten and/or NCAA *do* have the evidence and have just not shared with Michigan yet.
That’s the part I think is a bit strange. They went to future opponents and shared the “compelling evidence” but still haven’t shared it with UM. Thought that was strange but maybe that’s normal?

Very fortunate for Penn State that this Michigan thing becomes public now. It's possible PSU has know about this for a long time. Maybe they suspected this after last year?

They have time to counter-prepare for this and change signs the week Michigan comes to the Beav. They should assume Michigan has their signs and will use them, so they need to change it up.
You realize that every team changes their signs on a weekly bases right? Even in high school

$60 million fine
4 year post-season ban
5 year probation

Yeah, that oughta do it.
And the whole $60 million should go to PSU to get our money that was stolen back.

It could be interesting for a couple reasons. First, if the 2021 timing holds up it takes a fair bit of shine off his success at Ann Arbor. Not counting that odd ball 2020 season, his teams were good for 3-5 losses a year. Suddenly, roughly around the time the alleged cheating started, they transformed into a program that has only lost 3 games in 2 1/2 seasons, one in the CFB playoff. That is going to give potential employers something to think about - can he do better than that his first five years at Michigan without cheating and how much to I pay him to find out? Second, it's going to be hard to convince anyone that he didn't know. A coach can claim he wasn't aware of what his players were doing after practice or away from the football facilities, but few will buy the claim that he didn't know what was happening when it affected what was happening during games. If he wasn't aware of it, he wasn't really functioning as HC.
It is actually alleged as far back as 16. So they would suck at it for a few years and then became super experts the last couple.

UM suspended a "low-level football program employee" per the Post-Gazette this morning.

Usual strategy to sacrifice someone at the bottom for the actions of those at the top.........

My take is that UM sent staff to upcoming opponents (illegal) to record signals. They would then match the signals to game tape to decode the signals.

My guess is that the vast network cheating claim is that a staffer used a headset to communicate with coaches during games to relay the signals (illegal). Very similar to Astros communicating by radio to the guy pounding the trashcan. If calls were being communicated over the headsets then there is NO WAY Harbaugh can claim he didn't know. He wears a headset and it isn't to listen to Kenny G's greatest hits.

UM suspended a "low-level football program employee" per the Post-Gazette this morning.

Usual strategy to sacrifice someone at the bottom for the actions of those at the top.........
Simple question: who brought him on as a volunteer and hired him?

Reactions: tlbakernc
Honestly, I don't think Harbaugh is an elite coach. My concern is that they get someone like Lance Leipold to replace him. I can't even fathom what he could do there given his success at Kansas. Though maybe they'd do something stupid and hire Prime, O'Brien or Mike Hart. Who knows?

I also wonder if Dabo would run for that job
Harbaugh is a good coach, don't fool yourself. He is the best in the Big Ten.

• Haha
Reactions: tlbakernc
when UM beats psu again this year, will you still cry about the refs?..or is sign stealing your new go to?..asking for a friend..

The more I think about this, depending on the degrees of separation Jimmy set up for himself, and how many assistant coaches are willing to fall on their sword with a promise of future employment. JH has a good chance of walking away clean as a whistle.
Football is a funny game. There’s always someone willing to hire a coach with a closet full of skeletons. Hell, what am I saying, someone will hire him even if he claims the whole idea was his.
There are new NCAA rules that basically say "it is assumed the head coach knows about everything going on in his program, and he has to prove he didn't" (which is almost impossible. If allegations are true, JH is gone.

when UM beats psu again this year, will you still cry about the refs?..or is sign stealing your new go to?..asking for a friend..
It appears that Michigan is proper F*cked.

Phone recording would constitute illegal recording and the mere presence of someone acting on behalf of UM at these games violates in person scouting.

These are direct competitive advantage transgressions that go far beyond the usual "too much time stretching" or "texted with a recruit during a dead period". This is really bad.

Whatever puishment is imposed, you can rest assured it will not directly impact UM's eligibilty this year. Too much to lose for the BIG and NCAA. Next year maybe. Maybe they immediately discontinue the practice and provide more competitive balance that way, but they will not be banned from the BIG champ game or CFP. Too much money on the table.
Now if it were Penn State, our season would immediately be over…such is life in the mighty Big10!

Honest question--do you think USC fans actually care their 2004 title was vacated or do you think they still claim it?

I feel like Michigan fans are still going to claim the victories even if they are vacated. Not saying they should but I sure as hell wasn't pretending Penn State didn't win all the games the NCAA/BOT tried to take away from us.
Sounds like another National Championship opportunity for Pitt!!

Video Evidence of Connor Stallons cheating and giving the play to UM Defensive Coordinator Jesse Minter. Ohio State is promptly stuffed on 2nd and 3rd and goal...

Video Evidence of Connor Stallons cheating and giving the play to UM Defensive Coordinator Jesse Minter. Ohio State is promptly stuffed on 2nd and 3rd and goal...
A lot of smoke here. If the ncaa has his laptop it could get interesting

Reactions: bison13 and PSU2UNC
Mushmouf on Gameday: eVerYbOdY dOeS iT!!!

This is where the Buckeye Rapid Reaction Email Force will prove its worth - you guys are like a dog on a bone and I’m here for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT