ADVERTISEMENT

MJ catches 442 lb Marlin

Mike's yacht
chrisrabil_jjfishweek19_lowres_85_64b4caad08ede939ef9a4b7ec332996f26f9d6d2.jpg

e48edc8f_9c74_4c07_bf24_e035fbd78cc2_7fcd3dc9feb28ae9c87ea703216f6c49d0cf915f.jpeg

He is not a good fisherman and isn't always nice to his crew--just saying from sums in the know and it aint jealousy of his boat ;) Small world the fishing network is here in SoFla/Bahamas

He is not a good fisherman and isn't always nice to his crew--just saying from sums in the know and it aint jealousy of his boat ;) Small world the fishing network is here in SoFla/Bahamas
Yeah, well I guess he will have to settle for being the best basketball player of all time (or at least one of the best) and a fairly shrewd and successful businessman.

So, per Meat Loaf - 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

What, no catch and release?

Shame to kill these large marlin. All females of a vulnerable species. A single large spawner produces millions of eggs. Fight the fish back to the boat, take the right photos, and let a panel decide the tourney winner. Let the marlin swim away to fight again. If you can afford a multi million dollar sportfishing boat, you can afford a lifelike replica mount.

No interest in billfishing...occasionally get asked to go with a few different teams for tournaments as a third mate lol.. I think it's very ego driven kind of like hunting lions bears, tigers and elephants...

I caught four blackfin last night... Kept two. Only catch what I can eat.

Enroute to Custom Rod and Reel in LHP as a write.. Need respool on reel

Last I saw he was only in 5th place with that catch and I completely agree - if you aren't eating it then why kill it.
I wonder how much rod time he had bringing it in.

The big rock tournMent has existed for 62 years.... they do have tournament minimiums of 110” or 400 lbs. so far through days over a hundred billfish have been caught with a release rate over 90%. The Big Rock Tournament does a lot of good for the local community and the charities it supports.
I do find it odd that MJ is a Carolina guy but didn’t buy a Carolina boat??

One other note. The marlin that are weighed all go to the NC State marine lab for study.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftlpsu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT