ADVERTISEMENT

Minor League Baseball - Appealing balls and strikes

Parkland Fan

Jul 25, 2001
I attended the AAA game Sunday with the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs vs. Buffalo. It was my first experience with the appeal process for balls and strikes. They are experimenting with this in the minors before they decide whether to use it in the Bigs.
Both teams made appeals. About half were declined, mostly on really close pitches. There were two appeals by Buffalo in the first two innings that were clearly bad calls. I believe there were 6 or 7 appeals during the game. The rules give each team 3 appeals, but they are not charged if the call is over turned.
The nice part is that the appeals only took about 45 seconds, and the scoreboard video showed the hypothetical box and the ball path.
Overall, a good improvement and I believe we will see it in the majors shortly.

I follow "Umpire Scorecards" on twitter and find it very interesting. Basically, they track the accuracy of the umpires. for the most part, they are pretty darn good. however, there are some "days".

For example, Laz Diaz had a tough day.

I follow "Umpire Scorecards" on twitter and find it very interesting. Basically, they track the accuracy of the umpires. for the most part, they are pretty darn good. however, there are some "days".

For example, Laz Diaz had a tough day.

laz is bad, not angel hernandez bad, but bad

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I saw one of those scorecards recently get blasted on Twitter... Apparently it's a 2D model and a position player threw a 35MPH lob ball pitch called for a strike but it showed it as the 'worst called pitch of the year' (of course it did) because how high it entered its 2D zone, but by the time it finished crossing the plate it was much closer (if not a strike).

The Pitching Ninja is the best person to follow if yo like baseball and are a pitching fan

Here he mapped out how this pitcher painted the corners in a recent game

FxiFQCvXoAAGxm_

When I see how a pitcher can make two different pitches look exactly the same until fee before the plate, I don't know how anyone can bat higher than .200

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT