ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota wrestlers under investigation for distributing Xanax

If true: at best, poor situational awareness and lack of engagement with university resources. Certainly not his best day.

I think JRob had good intentions, but how he handled it looks bad from outside the program. What he did worked perfectly fine 30 years ago. Not so much today. The biggest impact to me may be in recruiting. Will parents want to entrust JRob to do what is right for their son while he is there.

I think JRob had good intentions, but how he handled it looks bad from outside the program. What he did worked perfectly fine 30 years ago. Not so much today. The biggest impact to me may be in recruiting. Will parents want to entrust JRob to do what is right for their son while he is there.
Agreed. I also suspect he may not have understood what happened until he got those essays -- and maybe those didn't tell the full story either -- then had the tough choice about living up to his own word.

Another facet: it's pretty common for prosecutors to start with the most famous name publicly and then work their way down. Theory is, if they can squeeze J Rob, they can squeeze me. They don't need to have anything on J Rob to play the PR game.

The part that sucks is that I would guess if you asked 99% of college coaches, they would say they've dealt with things in-house at some point. If you don't have to get the NCAA and law enforcement involved, you'd rather not. From the report, to me, it sounds like that was what was happening until word got out and someone tipped-off the grade-a media (sarcasm heavily included). I can't blame J, in this instance, and I love to blame him. This could blow up, or it could fall completely off the radar because we are a niche sport and the investigation is shotty. I'm guessing the latter.

Reactions: tikk10
Jeopardizing your program over a drug like Xanax seems like breaking into a bank and stealing the pens. I'm making light of an ugly situation but does anyone know why Xanax? Is this a thing among athletes? Or perhaps just an aberration, perhaps explained by odd circumstances (e.g., they found a case, stole from a parent, etc.)? I don't imagine many wrestlers suffer from panic attacks, for which Xanax is prescribed, so I have to think there's either some ancillary charge they're getting from it, performance-enhancing or otherwise, or they're not and this makes even less sense.

Xanax is used to get an often-blackout-inducing high. It's popular in rap music, as are other prescription drugs like codeine, valium, and percocet. This has little to do with performance-enhancement, I'd reckon.

Reactions: tikk10
Xanax is used to get an often-blackout-inducing high. It's popular in rap music, as are other prescription drugs like codeine, valium, and percocet. This has little to do with performance-enhancement, I'd reckon.

Thanks. Pain killers like codeine and Percocet would make more sense than Xanax, even though they're not performance-enhancing.

Went over to the Minny board to see if they had any insight and there's just a thread ripping the reporter and not much more. Will have to wait for Jamz to come over and provide misleading statistics demonstrating why the Gophers actually sold the least amount of Xanax among D1 programs.

Will have to wait for Jamz to come over and provide misleading statistics demonstrating why the Gophers actually sold the least amount of Xanax among D1 programs.
Jammenz will admit that the Gophers vastly out sold other D1 programs, during the dual meet regular season, but were massively out sold by other D1 programs during the post season.;)

...plus he's showing a sense of humor with his comment. Not making light of the situation (no mature adult would do that), but at least adding a little levity to the board.

Write me a one page essay and I'll forget that you ever said such a thing.
Should he include ...

1. What emotions he was feeling when he posted that, thus letting himself and his fellow bwi posters down?
2. How did he feel directly after hitting 'send', and does he want to feel that way again?
3. What did he learn from this?
4. What are you going to do differently next time you post?
5. What is your plan so this does not happen again?

Around November 2011 I would have been thrilled to hear one of my teams was dealing with an illegal Xanax ring or Tattoos for Swag rather than what they were dealing with

:(

Hopefully they root the problem out - don't need a bunch of the guys on the team getting "hopped up on goofballs" - extra points if you name the movie that came from

Write me a one page essay and I'll forget that you ever said such a thing.
Should he include ...

1. What emotions he was feeling when he posted that, thus letting himself and his fellow bwi posters down?
2. How did he feel directly after hitting 'send', and does he want to feel that way again?
3. What did he learn from this?
4. What are you going to do differently next time you post?
5. What is your plan so this does not happen again?
Just no links to the essays. As we all know, link or it didn't happen.

Why does it not surprise me that you would know this?

Hopefully they root the problem out - don't need a bunch of the guys on the team getting "hopped up on goofballs" - extra points if you name the movie that came from

I didn't realize the phrase was ever uttered in a film but I do recall it from an early-era Simpsons. Used to say it all the time.

Helen Lovejoy: Well. Ned Flanders is just jealous.
Moe: Aw, the guy's hepped up on goofballs.
Grampa: Let's sacrifice him to our god! Come on, we did it all the time in the thirties.

[...]

Ned: I told you, officer, I'm not "hepped up on Goofballs."
Wiggum: [bored] Yeah, right.
[a church tour bus drives by]
Lovejoy: Ned Flanders! I never would have imagined.
[Ned feels weak with shame, then faints]
Wiggum: High as a kite, everybody! Goofballs!

Reactions: Chris97
Wow, if I'm reading this correctly the allegations involve upwards of 30 percent of JRob's roster. Can you say "culture problem"? What's more, if the allegations are true, JRob attempted to circumvent University policy in doling out their punishment "in house". (You have to figure UofM has established rules around handling student athletes who deal and/or use illegal drugs, right?). I'm sure J did what he felt would be best but I doubt very much his department heads will agree.

I'm not a fan of J but I respect him and what he has accomplished. IMHO it would be unfortunate if his career goes up in flames because of the selfish acts of a bunch of idiotic young men.

I'm not a fan of J but I respect him and what he has accomplished. IMHO it would be unfortunate if his career goes up in flames because of the selfish acts of a bunch of idiotic young men.
I disagree. If his career goes up in flames, it will be because of his actions.

I disagree. If his career goes up in flames, it will be because of his actions.

Yeah I was about to say if this is true it sounds like the wrestlers weren't the only selfish ones here. Should have turned it over to the cops. An essay? Seriously?

I want to think this is an ignorance old-school thing but no matter the excuse it doesn't justify the actions. Just handled really poorly and I'm wondering if this might cost him his position.

Yeah I was about to say if this is true it sounds like the wrestlers weren't the only selfish ones here. Should have turned it over to the cops. An essay? Seriously?

I want to think this is an ignorance old-school thing but no matter the excuse it doesn't justify the actions. Just handled really poorly and I'm wondering if this might cost him his position.

rumor.com would have some believe that JRob is not as popular as he was when he was winning. Rumor.com suggests this story never finds the light of day if there werent certain people trying to usher his retirement along.

A new AD would be a perfect time to apply pressure and get results if this was truely their aim.

smh

Turn them into the cops? Well look at you, a little foot soldier in this dumb ****ing drug war.

Someone said they use this drug with some of the high caffine power drinks to get a high. Myself think the the selling of this drug is the biggest thing. Some girl or guy could have maybe over doze and man what a problem then. The U of M has a new AD coming in there has been many problems lately in the sports department mostly in the basketball program.

Reactions: Azchief32
Turn them into the cops? Well look at you, a little foot soldier in this dumb ****ing drug war.
So your daughter buys Xanax from another student and in the process dies from an overdose. Do you, a) report him to the police for killing your daughter, or b) welcome him at the funeral as a family friend?

Moral to the story is don't be a hypocrite.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
c) none of the above

But it's pointless to argue with someone who actually believes that dealers are killers for distributing drugs.

Reactions: tpnlion
Someone said they use this drug with some of the high caffine power drinks to get a high. Myself think the the selling of this drug is the biggest thing. Some girl or guy could have maybe over doze and man what a problem then. The U of M has a new AD coming in there has been many problems lately in the sports department mostly in the basketball program.
Over "doze" ... watching the Goofers ... insert punchline here.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
c) none of the above

But it's pointless to argue with someone who actually believes that dealers are killers for distributing drugs.

Hey, I'm a big believer in individual responsibility but we are talking prescription drugs, not weed. There is a reason you are asked a crapload of questions before getting meds. Laws aside, a "dealer" is not qualified to know the drug interactions for each individual. Also, while your harping on the "drug war" may have some merit on a large scale, it does not excuse the "dealer's" culpability in individual transactions.

It'll be real interesting to see what happens next. On the one hand, the police report couldn't peg what happened to a specific crime, and the university policies cited in the article read as discretionary, so maybe won't be enforced.

On the other, most coaches who embarrassed their employer like this would be fired already. He tried to do the "right thing," sincerely it seems, and in his defense there were worse ways he could've handled it. But there were also much better ways to handle it. The kids needed to experience greater consequences than losing their stash and a one page essay. And it still could've been handled internally, but the school needed to be looped in because now the school looks like it gave J too long a leash and for appearances sake they'll feel the need to do something of consequence.

I hope the kids don't get named because this can screw their lives up in a way they won't easily be able to rectify. I'm sure that's a big reason for why J handled it like he did, but clearly didn't have the control and authority he thought he had.

c) none of the above

Most Common Drugs Involved in Overdoses. Of the 22,767 deaths relating to pharmaceutical overdose in 2013, 16,235 (71.3%) involved opioid analgesics (also called opioid pain relievers or prescription painkillers), and 6,973 (30.6%) involved benzodiazepines (Xanax).

Whitney Houston died from drowning after taking an overdose of Xanax btw.

Last edited:
Disposing of 1400 pills, wow, that is obstruction of justice at the very least. Agree, don't see how he can survive.

It'll be real interesting to see what happens next. On the one hand, the police report couldn't peg what happened to a specific crime, and the university policies cited in the article read as discretionary, so maybe won't be enforced.

On the other, most coaches who embarrassed their employer like this would be fired already. He tried to do the "right thing," sincerely it seems, and in his defense there were worse ways he could've handled it. But there were also much better ways to handle it. The kids needed to experience greater consequences than losing their stash and a one page essay. And it still could've been handled internally, but the school needed to be looped in because now the school looks like it gave J too long a leash and for appearances sake they'll feel the need to do something of consequence.

I hope the kids don't get named because this can screw their lives up in a way they won't easily be able to rectify. I'm sure that's a big reason for why J handled it like he did, but clearly didn't have the control and authority he thought he had.
I'm like you, I hope they keep the names under wraps. And also a reminder to some of those who don't know, we do have a parent of a Minny wrestler that posts on this board so please be respectful and watch what you say. I doubt that needed to be said but...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT