ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota dropping 4 men’s programs...

androcles

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
... I just received a notice from the Minnesota Department of Athletics stating that they were dropping 4 men’s athletic programs - men’s indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, gymnastics and tennis - following the ‘20-‘21 seasons... :(

... I just received a notice from the Minnesota Department of Athletics stating that they were dropping 4 men’s athletic programs - men’s indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, gymnastics and tennis - following the ‘20-‘21 seasons... :(
Didn't Iowa already announce they were chopping men's gymnastics? Seems as though that all mens gymnastics programs will become a club sport.

Very surprised they are keeping their women's T&F, gymnastics, and tennis teams. No impact to the ladies. Their press release stated financial issues as well as Title IX.

William and Mary also cut both men and women's gymnastics. I think the NCAA is down to 13 mens programs now. Yikes

:(

Very surprised they are keeping their women's T&F, gymnastics, and tennis teams. No impact to the ladies. Their press release stated financial issues as well as Title IX.

William and Mary also cut both men and women's gymnastics. I think the NCAA is down to 13 mens programs now. Yikes
Twelve--and one is a D III school. Only 5 Big 10 teams are left, so no more Big 10 championship.

But I think this is going to bring about a Title IX lawsuit re. men's gymnastics.

Hate to see them drop mens indoor/outdoor track. Long history of some good runners in that program and my dad was an asst coach there from 64-69. Family still has the B10 champ ring he got in 1968 for team champ in outdoor track.

Twelve--and one is a D III school. Only 5 Big 10 teams are left, so no more Big 10 championship.

But I think this is going to bring about a Title IX lawsuit re. men's gymnastics.
I interpreted the title IX comment as implying this is why 'we' are cutting these men's sports.

So did I. But I think it's going to backfire at some point. There are no other opportunities for men in that sport.

You really ought to read Title IX and you'll realize that Minnehaha's rationale is bullshit. But AD' will continue presenting it that way as long as people never question it. Makes their lives so much easier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT