ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan: coming on or fool's gold?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
They played to a tough loss on the road at ND, crushed Western Michigan who at least has a pulse, though not much of one, crushed SMU who has one win by a single point this year and been slaughtered in their other games, and finally destroyed NE who is having a monumentally bad year. Well we know that they can put away inferior opponents. How will they stack up against PSU, MSU, and OSU, all of who are at ND's level relatively speaking.

They played to a tough loss on the road at ND, crushed Western Michigan who at least has a pulse, though not much of one, crushed SMU who has one win by a single point this year and been slaughtered in their other games, and finally destroyed NE who is having a monumentally bad year. Well we know that they can put away inferior opponents. How will they stack up against PSU, MSU, and OSU, all of who are at ND's level relatively speaking.

ND got them at Home while they were breaking in a new QB. We won't get that luxury. We will see a MUCH better Michigan than ND saw.

Looking at ND's schedule going forward, I can very easily see them going undefeated. We really needed Michigan to win that game.

They will be very tough at their place

UM should look good until they get Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU (2 of those three at home BTW, and PSU after a bye week - ugh).

It's really precious how the sports "talking heads" blabber on about Penn State's "favorable" schedule when PSU has to play Wisconsin and Iowa. I would argue that UM has a similar or perhaps easier schedule.

Reactions: Mudge1026
UM should look good until they get Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU (2 of those three at home BTW, and PSU after a bye week - ugh).

It's really precious how the sports "talking heads" blabber on about Penn State's "favorable" schedule when PSU has to play Wisconsin and Iowa. I would argue that UM has a similar or perhaps easier schedule.
All of PSU biggest games are at home except for Michigan. That might be why they say one looks harder than the other

Hard to say at this point. Nebraska is terrible. (And I hope they stay that way forever.)

ND got them at Home while they were breaking in a new QB. We won't get that luxury. We will see a MUCH better Michigan than ND saw.

Looking at ND's schedule going forward, I can very easily see them going undefeated. We really needed Michigan to win that game.
We needed Michigan to win? That there is funny.

They are getting better on offense no doubt, but I really like how our offensive scheme matches up against their defense. Last year we had great match ups all over the field vs their man defense. With that said, we will probably have to out score them.

Or not :)

FWIW, PSU and UMich both have difficult schedules this year.

Just about every other team that gets blathered one about? Not so much.
The blathering, and reality, aren’t even related. If they did one of those DNA tests between “talking head blather”, and “truth and intelligence”, there would be about a 0.00000001% match

As a Michigan fan, I'm really happy over the Nebraska win but not sure how much of that was us and how much was Nebraska. We're not as bad as the ND loss for sure but on the other side, we just demolished a team that lost to TROY. The next few weeks will be telling for Harbaugh and the Wolverines

As a Michigan fan, I'm really happy over the Nebraska win but not sure how much of that was us and how much was Nebraska. We're not as bad as the ND loss for sure but on the other side, we just demolished a team that lost to TROY. The next few weeks will be telling for Harbaugh and the Wolverines
I think that's true of just about everyone.
OSUs TCU win is looking less stellar after yesterday. They've been anointed the front runner though.

UMs loss to ND is still questionable- ND hasn't looked good.

PSU hasn't played a really good team yet.

Will start to shake out over the next few weeks

Reactions: BANGBRO and Anison
What you describe is basically the unanswered question of the Harbaugh era thus far. Other than beating what was ultimately a very good Penn State team in 2016 (though wasn’t playing good ball at the time), UM doesn’t have a win over a good/very good team in the past four years.

As a UM fan, I’d rather blowout WMU/SMU/Husks than play them close, but obviously the “proof” of being a championship contender is to beat championship contending teams - MSU, PSU, Wisconsin and OSU all left on the schedule so I guess we’ll see.

It's hard to say because Nebraska might be the worst team in all of Division 1 football and that includes Oregon State, Rutgers, Kansas, and everyone else.

Ouch! If that is even remotely true, it is inconceivable that they have fallen into the same sentence as Kansas and Rutgers.

It's hard to say because Nebraska might be the worst team in all of Division 1 football and that includes Oregon State, Rutgers, Kansas, and everyone else.

You are very, very wrong. There is only one Rutgers.

How the new AP poll sees things:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State
5. LSU
6. Oklahoma
7. Stanford
8. Notre Dame
9. Penn State
10. Auburn
11. Washington
12. West Virginia
13. UCF
14. Michigan
15. Wisconsin
16. Miami
17. Kentucky
18. Texas
19. Oregon
20. BYU
21. Michigan State
22. Duke
23. Mississippi State
24. Cal
25. Texas Tech

Reactions: TheGLOV
What you describe is basically the unanswered question of the Harbaugh era thus far. Other than beating what was ultimately a very good Penn State team in 2016 (though wasn’t playing good ball at the time), UM doesn’t have a win over a good/very good team in the past four years.

As a UM fan, I’d rather blowout WMU/SMU/Husks than play them close, but obviously the “proof” of being a championship contender is to beat championship contending teams - MSU, PSU, Wisconsin and OSU all left on the schedule so I guess we’ll see.
Starting to sound like one of those nervous chickens Harbaugh was concerned about :)

Osu osu osu osu osu. I guess you dont understand

You are very, very wrong. There is only one Rutgers.

How the new AP poll sees things:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Ohio State
5. LSU
6. Oklahoma
7. Stanford
8. Notre Dame
9. Penn State
10. Auburn
11. Washington
12. West Virginia
13. UCF
14. Michigan
15. Wisconsin
16. Miami
17. Kentucky
18. Texas
19. Oregon
20. BYU
21. Michigan State
22. Duke
23. Mississippi State
24. Cal
25. Texas Tech

We should be ranked #6.

Absolute BS that ND, Stanford and Oklahoma are in front of us.

And, if we lose to OSU this weekend, it will only legitimize their biased rankings previous!!

A wise man used to say that you are never as good as you think you are when you win and never as bad when you lose...

All teams get better as the season progresses (barring injuries), this includes both Michigan and Penn State this season. Michigan isn’t a bad team, but are not world beaters either. I think they win one out of MSU, tOSU, and Penn State.

A wise man used to say that you are never as good as you think you are when you win and never as bad when you lose...

All teams get better as the season progresses (barring injuries), this includes both Michigan and Penn State this season. Michigan isn’t a bad team, but are not world beaters either. I think they win one out of MSU, tOSU, and Penn State.
I like the part about the wise man All the other shit about meatchicken i could care less

Just win and everything else will take care of itself. It does not matter where a team is now it only matters where you are on December 2, 2018.

We should be ranked #6.

Absolute BS that ND, Stanford and Oklahoma are in front of us.

And, if we lose to OSU this weekend, it will only legitimize their biased rankings previous!!

Why Oklahoma didn't drop after yesterday is beyond me. A damn shame Army couldn't pull out a win there. Would have been a crushing loss for the Sooners. We keep hearing about App State, but we won't hear boo about playing Army to OT.

I guess beating Wisconsin in 2016 doesn't count but what do I know.

Michigan has a viable QB (actually two with the way Dylan M. has looked) this year versus the last 3 years (minus Rudock's last half of 2015).

Everyone will know much more about PSU after this week and about Michigan after playing Wisconsin.

ND played Wimbush the entire game. ND broke in a new QB the week after. So UM played a ND team with, what is now, their second team QB/.

Last edited:
I guess beating Wisconsin in 2016 doesn't count but what do I know.

Michigan has a viable QB (actually two with the way Dylan M. has looked) this year versus the last 3 years (minus Rudock's last half of 2015).

Everyone will know much more about PSU after this week and about Michigan after playing Wisconsin.
Completely forgot about that Wisconsin game (and Jourdan Lewis’s onehanded falling INT to seal it). Good catch.

Still, UM hasn’t competed for championships. And I’m hoping they do beginning this season.

As much as I hate to admit it I think they are coming on. Rugged defense, improved physical running game and better QB play.

As much as I hate to admit it I think they are coming on. Rugged defense, improved physical running game and better QB play.
Agree. UM is for real and is one of 4 teams that could contend for the BT title....just like many thought months back. I highly doubt the BT champ is an undefeated team this year...hell it could be a 2 loss team from the east. It's just a rough schedule for everyone. PSU has Iowa and Wisky cross over games to boot.

ND played Wimbush the entire game. ND broke in a new QB the week after. So UM beat a ND team with, what is now, their second team QB/.

Ahhh..........ND beat Michigan. Where the heck have you been??? And Shea Patterson had never played a down for Michigan before the ND game.

Of COURSE ND played Wimbush the whole game. This was basically his second year as their starting QB.

Welcome back to Earth!!! : ^ )

Ahhh..........ND beat Michigan. Where the heck have you been??? And Shea Patterson had never played a down for Michigan before the ND game.

Of COURSE ND played Wimbush the whole game. This was basically his second year as their starting QB.

Welcome back to Earth!!! : ^ )
sorry, meant to say "played" not "beat".

Nebraska = Illinois -- IL may actually be a better team at this point. So blowing out Nebraska at Ann Arbor to me is about the same as struggling with IL at Champaign and then blowing them out in the 4th Q. Both teams are a work in progress; UM is a lot more settled defensively but PSU is stronger offensively. UM will be favored at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT