ADVERTISEMENT

Micah Parsons Opting Out

"The fact that it is unknown does not take away the risk."

You and the delicate geniuses who agreed with this logic can have fun discussing this amongst yourselves. I'm done.
Ok. Are you proposing that the risk being unknown takes away the risk from existing?

It’s not like the concern comes from nothing. There is evidence of young people who have not yet healed. And the thing that’s not healing is vital to Micah’s career.

I don’t know why you think the long term effect has to be proven before it’s justified to act according to the risk. We know there’s a risk it will have long term effects, there is evidence to support that it may. It’s absurd to say you can’t take precautions against a known potential risk until after it’s too late.
For this threads topic, this argument is totally irrelevant. MP is NOT social distancing, like almost all other college age kids.

For this threads topic, this argument is totally irrelevant. MP is NOT social distancing, like almost all other college age kids.
I believe you’ve brought this subject up in other posts. My question would be is this at PSU or some other location?

Somewhere else doesn’t bother me, nor should it if he was renting something in SC on his own.

But, if he is opting out of playing for PSU, I do not believe he should be living there if PSU is footing the bill, nor should he potentially be risking other PSU athletes’ health under these same circumstances.

Reactions: roswelllion
Wow, I see this thread has jumped the shark this morning. It's quite simple really, it's a risk vs. reward scenario. Risk tolerance comes down to the individual, what others are comfortable with is irrelevant in terms of how Micah feels. The reward is largely known already, it's the money associated with being a top 15 draft pick. He has little possible upside in terms of draft position, he could already go as high as the top 5.

What is different this season vs. historically is that there are more risks to consider that have never been a factor. The usual risk of injury from playing is still there as it is every season. But now there's added risk of possible covid complications, both in terms of personal health and impact to the season. Micah could get sick... risk. While impacts aren't definitive now, there's still a chance that Micah catches it, is asymptomatic but ends up with longer term health complications that impact his well-being and/or playing career... risk. The season could get scrapped at any point and meaningful goals such as individual awards, conference championships, national titles, bowl games, regular season games, etc. could all be eliminated... risk.

Micah opting out simply shows us where his risk tolerance lies. He isn't willing to risk losing what he's basically already earned given all these new risk factors. He will make more money with one swipe of a pen on his first NFL contract than 90% of the world will make in a lifetime. It's hard to fault anyone for taking advantage of such an opportunity. Sure it sucks for us fans that saw what he's capable of in the Cotton Bowl and hoped to see that over the course of a full season. I'd love to see him play again too for purely selfish reasons, but Micah has to make decisions that he feels are the best for Micah. He had the potential to go down as one of the all-time PSU greats, but with only 2 seasons as his body of work history will likely slot him in 1-2 tiers below the legends. I'd imagine the millions of dollars in his bank account, playing in the NFL and fulfillment of what has likely been a lifelong dream will more than comfort him with respect to what his PSU career could have been.

Reactions: roswelllion
The departure of Parsons means that the Nittany Lions have lost their entire starting linebacker corps from the 2019 season. Parsons manned the WILL linebacker position alongside middle linebacker Jan Johnson and SAM linebacker Cam Brown, who were both seniors. That said, linebacker recruiting has been a strength in the last couple of years for James Franklin and his staff, so the cupboard is far from bare.

The starting MIKE linebacker should be redshirt junior Ellis Brooks. He backed up Johnson in 2019, but played quite a bit in the middle. Brooks is a strong tackler, and helpful in run defense. He has been at middle linebacker since he arrived, and has the experience to step in for Johnson with a higher ceiling to boot.

At SAM linebacker, true sophomore Brandon Smith should have the inside track on the starting position. Smith played special teams throughout 2019 and saw some action as Brown's reserve in 2020, but should be primed to develop into a big time player when he next takes the field. Smith was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school in 2019, and showed flashes of his hitting ability when he was in the game.

Replacing Parsons at WILL linebacker should be Jesse Luketa, who was his reserve last season. Luketa has the ability to play both middle and WILL linebacker, and with limited experience behind Brooks may end up playing some MIKE when Brooks is off the field. Luketa was a highly-rated recruit in his own right and has played special teams consistently since his arrival.

It is a little hazier after that, but Lance Dixon is likely the first linebacker off the bench. He will be a redshirt freshman after an early-season decision by Franklin to hang on to an extra year of eligibility for the young 'backer. Dixon initially flashed so well in camp that Franklin had him on "green light" status, but consistent play from the linebackers ahead of him gave the program incentive to hold Dixon back. He is a talented player who should contribute in a role similar to the one Luketa held for the last two seasons.

Redshirt sophomore Charlie Katshir is the only other experienced, scholarship player at linebacker, and he will be asked to play a larger role for that reason. Katshir has played on special teams, and has seen a limited amount of time on the defensive side of the ball. Smith's ascension to the second linebacking unit boxed him out a bit last season. He will have the opportunity to show in 2020 why the staff brought him in.

There are two true freshmen at linebacker: early enrollee Tyler Elsdon, who profiles as a MIKE, and outside linebacker Curtis Jacobs. Elsdon seems like a redshirt candidate, though the limited depth at MIKE is a factor. Jacobs, on the other hand, may be in the Parsons/Luketa/Smith category of a player simply too talented to keep off of the field. The staff may have been tempted to burn his redshirt anyway; with Parsons out of the picture, it may be bordering on a lock.

The staff has been pretty particular when offering linebackers over the last few years, but the guys they have brought in have been extremely talented players with game breaking potential. Parsons is one of the most talented players in program history, which makes it unfair to compare the remaining players to him.

Both of these things can be true: there is no replacing Micah Parsons, but this is still a linebacker group worth getting excited about. We may have been robbed of a year of a generational talent in his prime, but there are opportunities for guys who remain to step up. And they have the talent to make this transition one worth tuning in to witness.

W-O-W. And this is textbook garbage.

Let's take the stnce that we do not know yet if there are long-term effects. Does that mean that the risk is gone, or is the risk just unknown? If the risk is unknown, does that mean that MP should take the unknown risk?

The fact that it is unknown does not take away the risk.

And, before you bring the risk of injury up, the risk of injury is part of the game. Contracting a virus that may cause long-term effects on your respiratory system is not part of the game

someone define long term risk? Are we talking about the short term (5-6) years that might affect his pro football career or post football. If we are talking about truly long term risks should we even allow football? CTE crippling knees shoulders etc. what is the life span of a professional football player compared to the the general public? Also how much greater is the risk to football players than the general public. FTR I don’t blame Parsons at all but let’s be honest. As Silas Redd once said “it’s a business decision”
Wow, I see this thread has jumped the shark this morning. It's quite simple really, it's a risk vs. reward scenario. Risk tolerance comes down to the individual, what others are comfortable with is irrelevant in terms of how Micah feels. The reward is largely known already, it's the money associated with being a top 15 draft pick. He has little possible upside in terms of draft position, he could already go as high as the top 5.

What is different this season vs. historically is that there are more risks to consider that have never been a factor. The usual risk of injury from playing is still there as it is every season. But now there's added risk of possible covid complications, both in terms of personal health and impact to the season. Micah could get sick... risk. While impacts aren't definitive now, there's still a chance that Micah catches it, is asymptomatic but ends up with longer term health complications that impact his well-being and/or playing career... risk. The season could get scrapped at any point and meaningful goals such as individual awards, conference championships, national titles, bowl games, regular season games, etc. could all be eliminated... risk.

Micah opting out simply shows us where his risk tolerance lies. He isn't willing to risk losing what he's basically already earned given all these new risk factors. He will make more money with one swipe of a pen on his first NFL contract than 90% of the world will make in a lifetime. It's hard to fault anyone for taking advantage of such an opportunity. Sure it sucks for us fans that saw what he's capable of in the Cotton Bowl and hoped to see that over the course of a full season. I'd love to see him play again too for purely selfish reasons, but Micah has to make decisions that he feels are the best for Micah. He had the potential to go down as one of the all-time PSU greats, but with only 2 seasons as his body of work history will likely slot him in 1-2 tiers below the legends. I'd imagine the millions of dollars in his bank account, playing in the NFL and fulfillment of what has likely been a lifelong dream will more than comfort him with respect to what his PSU career could have been.

You're right it is risk vs reward. It is all about the money. That is okay. It certainly makes being a college football fan less enjoyable. We hope for but shouldn't expect loyalty to our university. Are some of us butthurt sure. Would we be upset if Justin Fields sat out a year. Hell we'd be celebrating. But let's be clear. In the words of Silas Redd this is a business decision.

Just a simple question. Forget COVID and it’s possible long term effects just for arguments sake. If Micah were to stay this year and he suffered a devastating career ending injury, who here is willing to guarantee him a seven or eight figure signing bonus to come and work for you? If not then you have no skin in the game. College football is a multi billion dollar enterprise today despite whatever some nostalgia freaks want to believe. Spoiler alert, it has been for quite some time.

It’s time for some supposed adults here to stop throwing a selfish guilt trip on players for taking a shot at the brass ring, no matter what the success rate. If it doesn’t work out you can preen, pat yourself on the back and issue as many I told you so’s as you chose. However it’s their lives not yours or mine.

Just a simple question. Forget COVID and it’s possible long term effects just for arguments sake. If Micah were to stay this year and he suffered a devastating career ending injury, who here is willing to guarantee him a seven or eight figure signing bonus to come and work for you? If not then you have no skin in the game. College football is a multi billion dollar enterprise today despite whatever some nostalgia freaks want to believe. Spoiler alert, it has been for quite some time.

It’s time for some supposed adults here to stop throwing a selfish guilt trip on players for taking a shot at the brass ring, no matter what the success rate. If it doesn’t work out you can preen, pat yourself on the back and issue as many I told you so’s as you chose. However it’s their lives not yours or mine.
Exactly....he is making a decision for his future. The butt hurt fans need to take a look in the GD mirror or start telling us how they turned down 10 million dollars to keep people they don't know happy. These BS claims about what people here would do or how this is so wrong is a joke already. Just say you're upset because your team is losing a great player a year early...that is all it is.

Some here are more content going 8-4 with guys who will be here for 4-5 years.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
someone define long term risk? Are we talking about the short term (5-6) years that might affect his pro football career or post football. If we are talking about truly long term risks should we even allow football? CTE crippling knees shoulders etc. what is the life span of a professional football player compared to the the general public? Also how much greater is the risk to football players than the general public. FTR I don’t blame Parsons at all but let’s be honest. As Silas Redd once said “it’s a business decision”

You're right it is risk vs reward. It is all about the money. That is okay. It certainly makes being a college football fan less enjoyable. We hope for but shouldn't expect loyalty to our university. Are some of us butthurt sure. Would we be upset if Justin Fields sat out a year. Hell we'd be celebrating. But let's be clear. In the words of Silas Redd this is a business decision.
Welcome to the 90s. What world have you been living in where most things in college football weren't being driven by financial motivations for the past 20 years? BTW, if someone offered me a career with a top 5% salary in my chosen field of study before the start of my Junior year I would have accepted on the spot. College exists to prep people for their careers. For athletes at Micah's level his career is football. Other players don't have that luxury, we know very few get drafted. But Micah isn't most athletes. Why shouldn't he jump on the opportunity to move forward in the next phase of his career?

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I'm interested in opinions (hopefully with some basis) on this:

• Does Micah Parsons likely have less risk of Covid by opting out of the football season? How does participating in football compare to being a young, healthy person in the general population? Or do we really have no idea?

**Note, I consider the chance of a football injury to be reason enough for him as a likely high draft choice to forego the season. Just trying to get a handle on how much the Covid risk is here.

I believe you’ve brought this subject up in other posts. My question would be is this at PSU or some other location?

Somewhere else doesn’t bother me, nor should it if he was renting something in SC on his own.

But, if he is opting out of playing for PSU, I do not believe he should be living there if PSU is footing the bill, nor should he potentially be risking other PSU athletes’ health under these same circumstances.
Do you really believe our players are different from other college students? Do you believe they are social distancing?

Reactions: royboy

• Does Micah Parsons likely have less risk of Covid by opting out of the football season? How does participating in football compare to being a young, healthy person in the general population? Or do we really have no idea?

**Note, I consider the chance of a football injury to be reason enough for him as a likely high draft choice to forego the season. Just trying to get a handle on how much the Covid risk is here.

In Micah's position, think of COVID as icing on the risk cake. By not playing, he is negating the risk of significant injury on the field (see Smith, Jaylon).

He undoubtedly has more personal control over his risk of getting it.

Holy drama queen, Batman! This is a freaking message board. We all give opinions on things in which we have no skin in the game every day. What makes this topic so off limits?

Holy drama queen, Batman! This is a freaking message board. We all give opinions on things in which we have no skin in the game every day. What makes this topic so off limits?
It’s not off limits at all continue to post your views as I will mine. Neither one of us requires the others permission. I just find it extremely humorous and sad that grown men would criticize a young man for not passing on making several million dollars with the stroke of a pen, mostly because of their own selfishness. If you don’t agree with that or anything else post whatever you chose, you’re right it’s a message board.

Ok. Are you proposing that the risk being unknown takes away the risk from existing?
I don't think he is saying that but it is very difficult to manage unknown risks.

For example, we really don't know the long term (decadal) effects of many relatively new medications. We *think* the risks are probably low, based on shorter term studies, but we do not know that for sure.

Canceling your life based on the potential for longer term effects (which are indeed unknown risks) seems like a bad decision making process. This is not to say that are not risks, but future risks are not (should not?) what should be driving policy decisions.

I haven't waded through all 10 pages of this yet, so forgive me if this has been answered.

There has not been an official statement from the university, CJF or Micah on this correct? So this is all just based on rumors from sources, right?

I'm not saying the sources are wrong, but until I see confirmation, I won't spend too much time thinking about it.

I seem to recall that no one though Micah would commit to PSU after decommitting and then naming his dog Brutus. And yet, here we are.

Do you really believe our players are different from other college students? Do you believe they are social distancing?
My inquiry was MP specific since he is the subject and you made at least 3 posts specifically about him regarding social distancing.

If he has decided to, in essence, get on with his life’s work, it should be as if he has chosen to forego the benefits of being an active PSU football player. He should receive the same benefits that any former player in good standing would.

As for the team, I just expect them to follow what coach Franklin and the supporting staff have recommended.

Additionally, it is unknown whether or not contracting it once gives immunity to contracting it the second time. There are some cases where people appear to have contracted it two times.

LOL

I can't believe people are STILL parroting this.

Here, let me help you out... Upon contracting and recovering from Covid-19, you are absolutely 100% immune to contracting it again. There is no "unknown" about that.

Now, there is a question regarding how long this immunity lasts, but we won't know how long it last until it starts expiring -- And it hasn't begun doing that yet.

Reactions: katchthis
I’m always excited to see others get a chance to fill the hole left by a star. This might be the break one of these guys needed to step up and shine.
Probably a good move by Parsons, guaranteed first rounder. If the NFL doesn't play this year, two years of rookies, young bloods will push out older players on the borderline.
Got to agree Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence will probably follow suit.
I think he will be first round pick but he needed another year to fully develop. He only played linebacker for 2 years. He dropped every pass that he should have intercepted. Franklin probably knew this a while ago He won't go down as a top 5 linebacker in SU history in my mind. College Sports is in the crapper anyway.

Glad to hear he's on track to graduate. Even if he wasn't it wouldn't really impact my opinion of his decision, but glad to hear it nonetheless and good for him. CJF has stated several times that he wants his players on a track to graduate in 3 years as much as possible and here's another example of it coming to fruition.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
So do those bashing him for leaving PSU without a degree get a set amount of time to come up with a new reason to be butt hurt about it or how does that work exactly?
No, because they think everyone should stay for 4-5 years and are content with 8-4.

University of Miami DE, Gregory Rousseau, has now opted out. I think in the end these guys are going to use Covid-19 as a way out to start getting paid by agents and prep for the draft.

Please let Justin Fields opt out, please let Justin Fields opt out!!!!

Wouldn't you say that leaving early for the NFL is, or is becoming, the new normal? Staying or leaving would be determined by a projected increase or decrease in lifetime NFL income by staying in college an extra year. Weighing the risk of injury, the top players would likely lean towards leaving early. The guys who need a super year in college to snag the big life changing money may lean toward staying. The choices become another coaching variable that the coaches have to deal with. The coaches who can deliver getting top recruits into the NFL the quickest will probably garner the best players. The coaches who can develop good players the best over time may end up with the best teams. I think the China virus has just accelerated the new normal. Just sayin'

Covid is absolutely no threat to these guys pro career or draft status. When the NCAA gave them the option to opt out and still retain their scholarship, it meant they could not go to work, still get paid and not have to risk an injury. Injury risk is the real danger to their pro career and it has always been there.

Wouldn't you say that leaving early for the NFL is, or is becoming, the new normal? Staying or leaving would be determined by a projected increase or decrease in lifetime NFL income by staying in college an extra year. Weighing the risk of injury, the top players would likely lean towards leaving early. The guys who need a super year in college to snag the big life changing money may lean toward staying. The choices become another coaching variable that the coaches have to deal with. The coaches who can deliver getting top recruits into the NFL the quickest will probably garner the best players. The coaches who can develop good players the best over time may end up with the best teams. I think the China virus has just accelerated the new normal. Just sayin'
Also, remember the new normal includes the QB and WR in Houston that played less than 4 games last year and decided to red shirt because they were getting beat every week.

Reactions: BBrown
Letting these guys collect NIL $$$ would actually help keep them in school. Does anyone really think Parsons is leaving because of covid?

LOL

I can't believe people are STILL parroting this.

Here, let me help you out... Upon contracting and recovering from Covid-19, you are absolutely 100% immune to contracting it again. There is no "unknown" about that.

Now, there is a question regarding how long this immunity lasts, but we won't know how long it last until it starts expiring -- And it hasn't begun doing that yet.
Can you source that statement? Thank you

I don't think he is saying that but it is very difficult to manage unknown risks.

For example, we really don't know the long term (decadal) effects of many relatively new medications. We *think* the risks are probably low, based on shorter term studies, but we do not know that for sure.

Canceling your life based on the potential for longer term effects (which are indeed unknown risks) seems like a bad decision making process. This is not to say that are not risks, but future risks are not (should not?) what should be driving policy decisions.
Canceling your life? How is he canceling his life? His real life begins next year, when he starts to get paid. He's taken precautions so

Canceling your life? How in the world is he canceling his life? His life will really begin next year when he is paid to play. He is taking precaution right now so that his life will not be canceled, or adversely affected

You're grasping at straws now. Long-term effects possibly being suppressed lung capacity, for starters. That would begin immediately, not 20 years down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT