ADVERTISEMENT

Mets - Cubs: Top Of Second - Two Different Strike Zones!

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
Home plate umpire having a BAD night, at least seven instances so far (still in the top of the second) where the Met pitcher has gotten a called strike on a ball OR the Cub pitcher has thrown a strike that's called a ball.

ASSUMES the graphic on TBS is correct.....this is not ILLINOISLION making the calls.

Any team that pitches to Murphy needs their heads examined. That is all.

Didn't watch the Mets at all this season but they're VERY OBVIOUSLY VERY GOOD. There's a bar near Wrigley named Murphy's and they're gonna have to change the name of the bar pretty dann soon, he's having a monster series.

Didn't watch the Mets at all this season but they're VERY OBVIOUSLY VERY GOOD. There's a bar near Wrigley named Murphy's and they're gonna have to change the name of the bar pretty dann soon, he's having a monster series.
The mets are hot now at the right time, but they were arguably the 5th best team out of all of the playoff teams during the regular season. I'm glad they're beating the Cubs and hope they hold on.

Daniel Murphy has 62 HRs in 7 big league seasons. Give him credit, but he's pulling this out his ass.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Daniel Murphy has 62 HRs in 7 big league seasons. Give him credit, but he's pulling this out his ass.

Every pro and amateur athlete at one point or another has a moment or two where they have that or those "pulling it / this out of their ass" experience.
A home run in five straight games.....hard to believe anytime, let alone in October!

Reactions: EPC FAN
The mets are hot now at the right time, but they were arguably the 5th best team out of all of the playoff teams during the regular season. I'm glad they're beating the Cubs and hope they hold on.
A lot of people thought the Mets didn't have much of a chance based on their regular season record against the 3 NL Central playoff teams. That record was atrocious, I believe they only had 3 wins total against all 3 of those teams so it was a fair opinion based on this season's results.

That said, the Mets became a completely different team after the trade deadline. Before it, they struggled to give any run support to their tremendous young pitching staff. When they scored 4 or more runs, they were dominant, however they were rarely able to do so. After the deadline, they lead the NL in runs per game. The addition of Cespedes was huge. Wright came back from a season-long injury. They called up Conforto. D'Arnaud got healthy, as did some others. The team is completely different from earlier in the year and the benefits are showing now. Sure part of it is that they are on fire at the right time. But a big part of why they are on fire now is due to the lineup changes. The addition of that offense to the pitching staff that is playing well beyond their years in the postseason, and the Mets are looking dominant now. I believe they were deemed the favorite to win the World Series going into last night's game.

As a Mets fan, I'm just enjoying the ride. The Mets are not a historically great team, and playoff appearances have been rare. So I'm milking this run for all it's worth. LGM!

Every pro and amateur athlete at one point or another has a moment or two where they have that or those "pulling it / this out of their ass" experience.
A home run in five straight games.....hard to believe anytime, let alone in October!

Joe Blanton in 2008, for example.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I don't know what their record was against St Louis but they didn't win a game against either the Pirates or Cubs this year. What the Mets are doing, as they showed against the Reds in 73, is that when you have decent to good pitching and you get it in order for a short series, good pitching trumps good hitting. If they put the Cubs away tonight with the series starting Tuesday, they can set their rotation any way they want, everybody will have at least 4 days rest

They were 0-7 vs. Chicago (interesting given their 3-0 record in the playoffs), 0-6 vs. Pittsburgh and 3-4 vs. St. Louis. All but 3 games against Pittsburgh were before the July 31 trade deadline.

They were 0-7 vs. Chicago (interesting given their 3-0 record in the playoffs), 0-6 vs. Pittsburgh and 3-4 vs. St. Louis. All but 3 games against Pittsburgh were before the July 31 trade deadline.

So all but half of their games against Pittsburgh were before the trade deadline. Not sure what the point is? All of the Cubs games against Mets were well before the trade deadline.

So all but half of their games against Pittsburgh were before the trade deadline. Not sure what the point is? All of the Cubs games against Mets were well before the trade deadline.
The point is that the Mets have been a completely different team since the trade deadline, and records prior to that date likely are not reflective of the team that is currently playing in the postseason. Assuming they would not do well in the playoffs due to a 3-17 vs. the NL Central playoff teams is deceiving when taken at face value.

Mets are playing great against a Cubs team that was red hot. Hard to see the Cubbies recovering from 3-0. I watched the entire game.....it certainly did look like the boarderline calls went the Mets way. Some of them were very impactful (called SO, when I could have been a walk just before a double, perhaps triple, in the 8th inning with nobody out).

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The point is that the Mets have been a completely different team since the trade deadline, and records prior to that date likely are not reflective of the team that is currently playing in the postseason. Assuming they would not do well in the playoffs due to a 3-17 vs. the NL Central playoff teams is deceiving when taken at face value.

The Bucs were 3-0 against the Mets before the trade deadline and 3-0 after (on the road no less). The Cubs were a much better team since the trade deadline as well, although not necessarily due to moves they made. I didn't check, but I bet their record was as good or better than the Mets since the break. Getting Cespedes, as well as getting Wright back, was pretty big for the Mets . I agree that you can't extrapolate regular season head-to-head records into the post season, but mostly this is about the Mets having great pitching (which they had all year) and being hot at the right time.

Home plate umpire having a BAD night, at least seven instances so far (still in the top of the second) where the Met pitcher has gotten a called strike on a ball OR the Cub pitcher has thrown a strike that's called a ball.

ASSUMES the graphic on TBS is correct.....this is not ILLINOISLION making the calls.

No you understand how the Braves, in their glory years, were so darn dominate on the mound.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Just to further illustrate the point, I just saw this comparison of the Mets lineup now vs. one on July 23. 5 of the 8 (pitcher excluded) players in the lineup tonight were not in the lineup in July. Sure it's not the only reason the Mets are rolling right now, but it's a big part. Their hot streak began with a scorching August (20 wins). I don't know the specifics as to the changes the Cubs or other teams have made during the same time frame though, maybe all teams are on another level right now but I think the Mets pitching has been there all season, but they were still losing games due to low run support. But since August the batting has caught up.

July 23
Granderson, RF
Tejada, SS
Flores, 2B
Mayberry, LF
Campbell, 3B

Duda, 1B
Lagares, CF
Recker, C

Colon, P

Oct 21 (game 4)
Granderson, RF