ADVERTISEMENT

metcalf

That was a a ‘fun’ interview… Metcalf is very candid…..confident and self deprecating at times. His comments, memories and reflections are refreshing…. came away with a really positive and favorable opinion of this ‘former’ Hawkeye great (and arch villain…lol)

The whole Gilman exchange was interesting. In the bubble and so forth.
Yes. That was really interesting. Would love to learn more about being inside the Hawkeye bubble. It feels like the Brands encourage a confrontational collective “us vs the world“ mentality. Anyone dare venture outside the bubble for any reason is the enemy…even Hawkeye legends. Metcalf, Ramos, Gilman, etc. Strange.

Contrast this with the Cael and the mindset of “be the best you, you can be” wherever that takes you. If it is with the NLWC, great! If elsewhere, cool. You are always welcome to come back and collaborate and enjoy the former and current relationships in the room. Cenzo, Mark Hall…seems that they have great relationships with the PSU coaches and former teammates.

Not trying to be judgy...but find the dichotomy interesting.

Metcalf was my fav college wrestler growing up.. I remember being amazed by his pace of which I never seen before at that time and his interviews were always robotic and zoned in…. Crazy to think how much time has passed so quick..

Last edited:
My coach is a diehard Hawk fan. I grew up rebelling and hating everything Iowa. I remember calling him immediately after the Caldwell loss and him (surprisingly) taking my call. I remember making fun of Metcalf and how robotic he was.

I'm disappointed that he pulled back the curtain lol. He was a prime wrestling heel in my universe.

Now I'm the stubborn old guy who believes in taking down and getting out because it's the right thing to do.

When Brent came on as an assistant coach it was so strange to me how personable and silly he is. He is a big hearted loving individual and gives a ton of love to the guys he coaches. He was not at all what I expected. He wore the black hat pretty well, and I was completely in awe of his wrestling while also rooting against him because he was a Hawkeye. I hope he is the next head coach at ISU. The "bubble" or "cult" in Iowa City is a real thing. Guys don't even realize they are in it until they get out. DSJ,Metcalf,JayBo,Gilman,and many more former studs are treated as enemies. Watch the Scientology documentary and enjoy the similarity to Iowa wrestling.

I wonder if there are some shots fired from Dresser and Metcalf in the room having to do with Metcalf leaveing VA Tech when Dresser got there! haha

I remember that when Foley was still doing his Friday column, someone asked him who he would like to have over for a BBQ. Foley said Metcalf would be his first choice. Based on the comments I’ve seen here, it sounds like Foley’s pick was a good one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT