ADVERTISEMENT

Mercedes Stadium for the Falcons, a new pinnacle

No doubt it looks nice but $1.5 Billion (!) (projected) for a stadium that works just as well as the Georgia Dome but with a few more skyboxes/ bars? The circular scoreboard won't be viewable by a lot of the stadium. Capacity of 75,000 is pretty much unchanged. Public spending $600 million. Personal seat licenses up to $45,000 per seat. Most expensive tickets $385 per game. Jerry world is becoming obsolete. ;)

http://mercedesbenzstadium.com/media/fly-mercedes-benz-stadium/

Reactions: LionJim
Sky box money, and you have to have an experience beyond football for fans to show up. High Def TV- beats high ticket prices and traffic. Tough to get asses in all the seats.

Sky box money, and you have to have an experience beyond football for fans to show up. High Def TV- beats high ticket prices and traffic. Tough to get asses in all the seats.

Well then, high def tv will definitely beat these new prices even more. ;)

Well then, high def tv will definitely beat these new prices even more. ;)
In articles on the Chargers, once you fill the sky boxes, the tv money takes care of the rest. Owners not so worried about the LA locals buying tickets for the rest of the seats. Maybe one day the rest of the crowd can be computer generated. They can try that at any Pitt game.

Reactions: psu00
No doubt it looks nice but $1.5 Billion (!) (projected) for a stadium that works just as well as the Georgia Dome but with a few more skyboxes/ bars? The circular scoreboard won't be viewable by a lot of the stadium. Capacity of 75,000 is pretty much unchanged. Public spending $600 million. Personal seat licenses up to $45,000 per seat. Most expensive tickets $385 per game. Jerry world is becoming obsolete. ;)

1.5 billion is a bargain compared to what they have paid in cali.

1.5 billion is a bargain compared to what they have paid in cali.

I haven't kept up with the Rams/ Chargers new stadium. What's the cost there?

EDIT-
Just looked up the LA stadium info. 2.6 Billion (!!!) for an 80,000 seat stadium. Just unreal.

Last edited:
Chargers will be a gigantic failure in LA. They will have hardly any fans and will be leasing the Rams stadium. Plus add in the fact that Spanish is a moron and they can't put together a competitive team.

I haven't kept up with the Rams/ Chargers new stadium. What's the cost there?

EDIT-
Just looked up the LA stadium info. 2.6 Billion (!!!) for an 80,000 seat stadium. Just unreal.
Yep. Even Levi Stadium (49ers) was 1.4 billion and that place is not filled with a ton of bells and whistles. 1.5 billion for a state of the art dome isn't too bad. Although, the Vikings did theirs for just under 1.2 billion. They do not have a retractable roof though.

How many worthwhile things could you do with $600 million?

Chargers will be a gigantic failure in LA. They will have hardly any fans and will be leasing the Rams stadium. Plus add in the fact that Spanish is a moron and they can't put together a competitive team.
I agree. I think having two teams in LA is a mistake. At least the Rams have a history in the city and will likely be the preferred team. The Chargers cemented their place as the redheaded step child.

I agree. I think having two teams in LA is a mistake. At least the Rams have a history in the city and will likely be the preferred team. The Chargers cemented their place as the redheaded step child.

Totally agree. LA sports fans are very fickle. They couldn't support 1 NFL team before now they expect to support 2? Really don't like the Chargers move to LA at all.

Reactions: getmyjive11
The SD residents, of which I am one, were smart enough to vote down subsidizing a stadium for the Chargers. There have been many studies showing that public funding of a stadium does not provide economic benefit for the public. In SD they were going to tack a tax on hotel rooms so the tourists would subsidize the stadium. However, the locals were smart enough to know that higher hotel prices would keep people away from SD hotels.

The NFL made 7.3 billion in 2015. Why doesn't the NFL subsidize stadiums with all that $$? Well because the working folks really ough to be paying for the stadiums for the league worth billions and the owners worth hundreds of millions (and in some cases billions).

That being said Qualcomm Stadium was a dump and a horrible place to watch football.

Inglewood is not the nicest part of LA. But I don't think it would be fair to compare it to North Philly.

Reactions: ralphster
Inglewood is not the nicest part of LA. But I don't think it would be fair to compare it to North Philly.

Fair enough. Never been to LA but remembered seeing a thread here around New Years telling people to stay away from Inglewood area hotels. ;)

I totally get why San Diego taxpayers said no to funding a stadium- I just hate the Chargers move to LA. The Chargers will always be San Diego to me.

Inglewood is a somewhat large area. Some parts are better/worse than others. I definitely wouldn't choose to live there. I lived in downtown Philly for 5 years. I don't think Inglewood as a whole measures up to North Philly (which is one of the worst areas I have been to...Camden being another).

I am not a Chargers fan at all. Grew up in PA. People out here seem to be very tired of the Chargers and their mediocrity in good years and putridness in the majority of years. I would be very surprised if many SD residents drove to LA to support the Chargers.

I get why the Chargers didn't want to stay in Qualcomm. But I don't really understand why they expected the public to pay for their stadium.

SD is a great place to live and really ought to have a NFL team. Sad that it won't...at least not for the foreseeable future

Both the Braves and Falcons getting new stadiums after 96 Olympics. Kinda sad to be honest. I mean Atlanta is not exactly a great sports town (supporting teams)

As I recall, a sports blog (maybe it was deadspin) wrote a rather in depth article about how much the residents of the county where the Atl ballpark is located are getting ripped off.

What a country

The "folks" are extorted out of $600,000,000 to line the pockets of ego-maniacal billionaires

Yeah, team!!!!!!!

Arthur Blank is worth $3.1 Billion dollars. Why should any city subsidize a stadium for him?
You can buy all the politicians you need.....for a LOT less than $600,000,000

Here in PA, they can be bought for a few grand - - - - just ask Lubert and Dambly :)

Hell, they bought their "comrades" on the BOT for less than that - - - - - just allow THOSE assholes to chant "409" a couple of times, and they will unanimously elect Stalin and Hitler to the Chairmanship of the BOT

Laugh? Or, Cry?

Reactions: Big Blue12
You can buy all the politicians you need.....for a LOT less than $600,000,000

Here in PA, they can be bought for a few grand - - - - just ask Lubert and Dambly :)

Hell, they bought their "comrades" on the BOT for less than that - - - - - just allow THOSE assholes to chant "409" a couple of times, and they will unanimously elect Stalin and Hitler to the Chairmanship of the BOT

Laugh? Or, Cry?

Well Hafer was purchased for what, $500K?

Was just down there to see the Falcons-Chiefs regular season game and the stadium was quite cool looking...and large. Great game BTW. My buddy lives in Roswell, great town, and he is already trying to get us CFP finals tickets as I expect PSU to be there!!!

$1.5B does not seem to bad to me, being a Giants fan, as Met Life cost was $1.6B and the stadium is a joke unless, of course, you have boxes. I even liked M&T Bank stadium better when I was there last year for the PSU-Mary game, and that stadium is what 18 years old and only cost $330M in today's dollars!

Agreed that these numbers are indeed mind-numbing, and what makes it worse is the public mostly pays for half the cost.

Inglewood is a somewhat large area. Some parts are better/worse than others. I definitely wouldn't choose to live there. I lived in downtown Philly for 5 years. I don't think Inglewood as a whole measures up to North Philly (which is one of the worst areas I have been to...Camden being another).

I am not a Chargers fan at all. Grew up in PA. People out here seem to be very tired of the Chargers and their mediocrity in good years and putridness in the majority of years. I would be very surprised if many SD residents drove to LA to support the Chargers.

I get why the Chargers didn't want to stay in Qualcomm. But I don't really understand why they expected the public to pay for their stadium.

SD is a great place to live and really ought to have a NFL team. Sad that it won't...at least not for the foreseeable future
They would have been better off moving to Salt Lake City or Las Vegas, IMO. Last night they showed the new Charges logo and a Charges player on the jumbo tron at the Lakers/Clippers game and it resulted in a chorus of boos. Good luck being relavant in a city that hates you from day one.

I trust none of those owners will ever be seen opposing "government handouts" to poor folks.

Why do teams in great weather locales insist on building domed stadiums, while teams in the north (mostly) prefer open air stadiums?

The best scam has to be Marlins Park. Ownership of the stadium transfers to the owner of the team soon. Then he will sell both. The Marlins could have moved to their Jupiter spring training facility, added 5,000 seats and matched Marlins Park actual attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT